The New Member

Star Collectors [Side-Story to Behind the Thick-Framed Glasses]
 
✻ chapter three:
the new member
yoon mi's pov
 
 
"Hey, Yoon Mi! Guess what?"
 
A girl's face popped out from beside me and made me flinch. The sudden movement caused me to drag my paintbrush, which was dipped in black paint, across my almost-finished painting of a monarch butterfly. I made a face at the result and put down the art utensil with a heavy sigh; it had taken me several days to paint that.
 
"What is it, Boram? It'd better be important if it means making me mess up on my painting." I was with the Art Club after school in one of the un-used classrooms. It was like every other day where everyone did their own thing of painting, drawing, pottery, whatever. I was finishing my current project on the wall of the right side of the room, or should I say, was finishing it until it got ruined.
 
Boram, the so-called "president" or "leader" of the Art Club, stepped out from behind me and pouted cutely. "Sorry about that, but it is important! We have a new member joining us today, see?"
 
It was then that I realized there was someone standing behind her. It was a boy, with slightly-chubby cheeks and long brown bangs. His eyes were darting between the floor and me, and I realized that he must be a rather shy and quiet person. I could already tell, because I used to be like that too.
 
"His name's Yoo Seungwoo, from the classroom next to ours. It would be nice of you could be his 'buddy' for today, since... well, you're always sitting alone during Art Club and I thought you two can be friends and talk or something." Boram introduced and explained at the same time. "Now, if you excuse me, I have to teach Teo how to work the pottery oven before he blows up the whole place." With that, she ran off to the other side of the took to help the said boy.
 
I held my hand out to Seungwoo and gave him a what I hoped was a friendly-looking smile. "I'm Kang Yoon Mi, nice to meet you!"
 
He hesitantly shook my hand with slightly trembling fingers. "Uh, I'm Yoo S-Seungwoo."
 
I laughed and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, taking note of his adorable stuttering. "Yeah, I know. Boram told me, remember?"
 
He became flustered and his eyes darted away again. "Oh, uh... r-right. Sorry."
 
"Don't worry about it." I said and made a gesture, pointing around the room. "So, what's the type of art you specialize in? Mine is painting, if you haven't noticed. Painting on walls."
 
"M-mine is painting too." He answered unsurely, looking at the butterfly I tried to finish. "Watercolor and acrylic painting, b-but not on walls."
 
"Really? Maybe we could exchange techniques sometime." I pointed out the art supplies corner to him, where paint bottles were aligned neatly and pieces of chalk were strewn across the counter. "Do you want to start painting today?"
 
Seungwoo hesitated a moment before answering with a, "N-no, I think I'll just w-watch first."
 
I nodded and glanced at the wall. "I'm going to fix this poor butterfly, so if you want to sit and watch or browse around, it's fine with me."
 
"O-okay." He answered awkwardly and nodded before pulling out a chair at a nearby table and seating himself down. I chuckled and got to work, gathering the materials to cover up the black streak. "So, how long have you been painting?"
 
I could feel Seungwoo's eyes on busy hand as he answered straightforwardly. "I started two years ago, so I'm not very good at it..."
 
"Oh really now?" I said, half-listening and half-distracted with my paintbrush. "I'm sure you're better than you think."
 
"I-I don't know, I don't think I'm that good." He admitted and fidgeted in his seat. "I just wanted to join the Art Club because I wanted to m-make... I wanted to make new f-friends."
 
"New friends?" I repeated before getting rid of a smudge on the butterfly's antenna. "Well then, you've come to the right place! Everyone here is super-friendly, especially Sam and Ahreum. They love to talk and I swear, they never shut up! Yun and Soyeon might look intimidating, but they're complete idiots on the inside. As for Boram... she's like the boss of us all and orders us around, but we still like her."
 
Seungwoo didn't seem creeped out at my sudden rambling and instead looked around at everyone else, just in time for us to hear a loud, "TEO, I SAID THE WHITE BUTTON, NOT. THE. RED. BUTTON. NEVER PRESS RED BUTTONS, THEY ALWAYS BRING SOME SORT OF DOOM." from Boram's direction.
 
I let out a laugh. "Oh, and I forgot Teo! He's a manga artist, but he wanted to try out something different today and so he chose pottery. He hasn't learned the basics of using the pottery oven yet, so... uh, let's all hope the school doesn't burn down anytime soon."
 
When I didn't hear an answer, I looked back and saw Seungwoo staring at the others with a weird expression. It looked rather sad and solemn. Once he noticed I was waiting for him to answer, he let out a small "Oh, that's... nice." It seemed kind of weird, but I just shrugged and went back to finishing my painting.
 
With one last , the black streak from before had disappeared and it finally looked complete. I put my paintbrush down and sighed approvingly. It would be nice to have a new member in the Art Club.
 
As they always say; the more the merrier, right?
 
 
 
-- ♥ --
 
 
 
"WHAT THE HELL, YOON MI! WHY DIDN'T YOU WAKE ME UP?"
 
I calmly lowered my chopsticks and ducked my head to dodge a flying shoe coming from the top of the stairs behind me. The projectile had ricocheted off one of the kitchen cabinets and fell into the sink, making a small PLOP sound as it entered the water.
 
"That's what you get for coming home late from dance practice and for leaving your smelly socks on my bed." I said, smiling.
 
"Yeah, but that doesn't mean you can turn off my alarm clock and let me sleep in until there was only 10 minutes left before school starts!" Amber whined as she hopped down the stairs while trying to put socks on. Her clothes were disheveled and her usual chic hairstyle was a mess.
 
"Actually, yes. Yes, it does mean exactly that." I stuck my tongue at her before stuffing some more rice into my mouth and placing the bowl into the sink. "I'll be going now, don't be late!"
 
"Ya, you're going to pay for this!" My best friend said as she rushed to go brush her teeth. "Just wait for it!" I rolled my eyes as I swung my backpack over my shoulders. Amber, 0. Yoon Mi, 1.
 
Whilst walking out of the door, I imagined to myself how Mrs. Liu would react when she washed the dishes the today. I smiled to myself and practically skipped all the way to school. Today was going to be a good day.
 
...Actually, I take that back. Today was not going to be a good day.
 
As soon as I had stepped into the classroom, full of students chatting and fooling around, Boram had rushed to my side with wide eyes and looked as though she had seen a ghost.
 
"Boram, are you okay? You don't look so good." I pointed out as she clutched my right arm tightly. She completely ignored me and instead started mumbling to herself. I tried to wriggle out of her grasp and flicked her forehead with my free hand. "Ya, Boram! What's wrong with you today? Did you get enough sleep?"
 
She stared at me and blinked her eyes once, twice, three times before answering in a low hushed voice.
 
"The Art Club is going to be disbanded."

 

 

▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬
▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬
 
✻ author's note the dorky me
Yoo Seungwoo is cute, okay. And no one knows of him, so I'm including him so you guys at least know him name :P
~Ljjang창조♪