Chapter 1

It's All Because Of A Puppy

 

“Do Do…Stop Do!”

 

The shouting of a girl chasing after a black puppy was all over the stadium. Yup, that was me, running breathelessly and screaming loudly after my beloved puppy. This ‘amazing race’ had been for a few minutes but there was still no sign of end.

 

Do, or Dollar was one of the two puppies first adopted in the National University Dormitory that I was living in after the ban of raising pets had been removed. While Human Science girls bought kittens to raise, Economics students had their radars on hamsters, Natural Science nerds were in love with white mice, us Technology were proud of having the most beautiful pets of all. Puppies were, of course, the best among those kinds of pets. And what was even more proud that both puppies belonged to my room, which was an all-girl room. I owned Do [or Dollar, what a noble name] while Suzy raised Euro [two crazy owners]

 

We had been raising them for one month, after Suzy moved into the dorm to live with me. On a rainy night, we found the two puppies thrown in front of the dorm’s gate while sneaking out to buy some food. Luckily, earlier that day, the management board of the dorm had announced that us students from then were able to own pets inside the dorm. That was why I and Suzy could bring those unfortunate puppies to our room.

 

Even though they had been raised for the same period of time, Do and Euro had grown up different from each other. Euro was a white one. His fur was so soft to touch, his hobby was eating, sleeping and nagging cutely. Meanwhile, Do [I called him Do for short, people would infer that Do was Dollar anyway] had his ideal day to run around the dorm block of Technology as well as to wander on the stadium with guys playing football. It resulted in his black, dry and hard fur. Somehow they were the reflection of their owners. Suzy was a cute and lovely girl, also romantic and dreamy, which made the fact that both of us majored in Informatics something contradictory. In contrast to Suzy, I was  suntanned and dry just like Do.

 

Therefore, that running around the stadium at noon like this was nothing to me, even though it was a bit tired as I had to repeat this task mostly everyday.

 

Finally, Do slowed down, giving me chance to catch with his pace. But his stopping was not for that he was exhausted but for taking a run-up to jump and head his sharp teeth onto the thigh of someone standing in front of me.

 

The owner of the unlucky thigh, of course, couldn't bear the pain. He slowly collapsed on the ground while using his hand to rub continuously Do's bite and started to groan.

 

I hurriedly grabbed my puppy and ran to sit down next to the victim.

 

And found out that was a guy. He was absolutely not a Technology guy as Do had a special ability to distinguish Technology students with students from other department. If there was a Technology student coming, Do wouldn't bite that student. The opposite thing went to non-Technology ones. I embraced my puppy tightly in order not to let it bite him once again and asked that guy:

 

-          Are…are you ok? I'm sorry…

 

That guy stopped groaning and looked up to me. Then I felt even more astonished than being bit by a dog! Who said that Informatics girls were dry was right but it didn't mean that Informatics girls like me couldn't identify how a handsome guy should look like. Right from the first look, I could be sure that the guy sitting in the middle of the stadium with me [and Do, of course] was a more-than-flower=handsome guy with that brown bushy hair and ily thick lips!

 

However, all those beautiful features on his face were nothing in this situation, especially when his face showed clearly two expressions. First, painful. Of course, being bit by a dog was painful for sure. Second, angry. It was reasonable. Apparently he had nothing to do with us but he had just been bit by my beloved puppy. The two expressions were combined together and were transferred into a question with a harsh voice:

 

-          Is it your dog?

 

Usually I would be able to teach him a lesson for calling "dog" instead of "puppy". I meant, calling "dog" was impolite while "puppy" was much cuter! But at that time, I was the one to be blamed on so I couldn't do nothing but apologized to him:

 

-          Yes, it's my puppy - and then looking at him with the most apologetic face that I could pulled - Do you need me to take to hospital?

 

-          No thanks - He kept on holding on his thigh. Do lying inside my embrace stuck out his wet nose and made some sounds as if he wanted to say sorry - But…

 

The victim stopped for a while and looked at Do. It was so strange that the way he looked at my puppy was not as harsh and full of hatred as what he did to me. And I was about to fall backwards at the next words of him:

 

-          But…is this the famous Do of Technology Dorm?

 

I lost for words. Was my mischievous puppy that well-known? His question confirmed my theory that he was not a Tech-guy. But, once again, I just wondered why my puppy was known beyond the border of the stadium, which was considered as the territory of Technology dorm?

 

I nodded:

 

-          Yes, it's Do here…But how could you know? You're also Tech-guy?

 

-          Nope - He gently rubbed Do's head - I study Human Science. But If this is Do then you are…

 

He left the sentence undone to wait for me to fill in…And I just could hummed and hawed:

 

-          Cheon-mi

 

-          Cheon-mi?

 

-          Uh.Cheon-mi. Han Cheon-mi. Sophomore at Informatics.

 

-          I'm Lee Sungyeol - He replied - 2nd year Asia Researching.

 

So, from that day, fortunately, thanks to Do that I had a new friend. I meant if it hadn't been for Do that bit him, Sungyeol would be so angry with me! Yet I couldn't still understand a thing. Human Science Dorm was much further from Tech dorm than even Economics dorm and I never let Do to go beyond Tech dorm as even though I was the female champion in running at my university, chasing after a puppy around the dorm was something that should be described as "mission impossible"!