06

Back to You

“Jihyooooooooo~” Minkyung called out. She ran towards Jihyo and wrapped her arm around the younger girl’s neck. “Are you free tonight?”

“Wae?”

“Girls talk.” Minkyung winked. “As usual.”

“Why in a sudden, huh?”

“You spent your time with those handsome boys more than with me. Ara?”

“Yeah, arasseo.”

They turned to the left and continued walking until they reached their biology class. They entered the class and quickly sat down on their arranged seats. Jihyo sat on the back near the window while Minkyung sat on the third row from the front.

Jihyo took her jacket off and put it on her lap. She looked outside through the window on her left, noticing that the day was getting dark. She inhaled deeply, somehow not feeling well with her surroundings. For a moment, the memories of her life when she was in junior high school crossed her mind. She felt like crying at the thought of her bestfriend way back then. She felt guilty for leaving him without telling him first, she felt guilty for everything she had done to him.

“Is this seat owned?”

Jihyo snapped back to reality as she heard a very familiar voice. She looked to her right side and found Junhyung smirking playfully at her. She just nodded and looked outside again.

“Anything interesting out there?” Junhyung leaned closer to Jihyo while looking up to the sky, trying to see anything that made Jihyo interested. “I see nothing.”

“I see my friend.” Jihyo coldly replied. “He is somewhere out there, but somehow I can feel his presence near me.”

“He? Your boyfriend?”

“I said friend.” Jihyo turned her head and her face went red in a second as she realized that her face was only a few inches away from Junhyung’s. Her nose almost touched his and she could feel his warm breath on her face.

Junhyung glanced at the stunned girl beside him and smirked. He pulled away then slumped down on his seat.

“Why are you here?” Jihyo asked after she stabled her heartbeat.

Junhyung closed his eyes. “Attending biology class.”

“You weren’t here before.”

“Kikwang wants to always be in the same class with you so he rearranged all of his classes. That bastard also rearranged mine.”

“Me?” Jihyo pointed to herself, could hardly believe in what Junhyung had said. “Why?”

“Do I look like I know?”

“I think yes. You’re his friend after all.”

“I don’t know.” Junhyung said and opened his eyes. He stretched his arms out and yawned. “Do you have anything that can be used as a pillow? Biology is boring.”

“I’m here to study.”

 Junhyung glanced at Jihyo’s jacket on her lap. He grabbed it and used it as a pillow, not paying attention to her protest. He crumpled his nose as he smelled a familiar scent from her jacket.

“Do I smell that bad?” Jihyo asked in a worry tone.

Junhyung gave the jacket back to its owner and used his arms as a pillow instead. He couldn’t stand it, that familiar scent was disturbing him.

Jihyo secretly smelled her own jacket and she frowned. ‘Nothing is wrong. This doesn’t smell bad at all.’

 

~~~

 

“Now tell me.” Minkyung started. Jihyo and she had already changed their uniform into pajamas and they already had dinner. “How is it?”

“What?” Jihyo asked, fixing her pillow. She jumped on the bed and hugged her Pororo doll tightly.

“Being those handsome boys’ friend.”

“You mean Kikwang and the rest?”

Minkyung rolled her eyes. “Who else, duh?”

“Well, nothing interesting. They aren’t that special.” Jihyo sat up and sighed. “But I think one of them doesn’t like me.”

“Oh really? Who?”

“Junhyung. He doesn’t talk to me much. And…”

“And?”

“I… don’t know. It’s just… I feel like…”

“Hmm?”

Jihyo sighed in defeat. “I don’t know. I feel weird whenever he is around me. I ever tried talking to him, being nice to him, but he kept his cold side. But when I was annoyed or tired… whenever I was in a bad mood, he was always there for me. Have I told you that I ever hit his arm continuously with my thick novel after I got my result of chemistry exam last week?”

Minkyung shook her head.

“Well, I really did it to him. I couldn’t control my disappointment and he was near me so… yeah.”

“And what was his reaction?”

“Believe it or not… he hugged me to calm me down.”

Minkyung widened her eyes in shock. “Oh my God! Seriously?”

Jihyo nodded. “The next day, I made lunch for him in return. I gave it to him when our class have dismissed. He just starred at me, took the lunch box from my hand, and walked away.”

“At least he accepted it. So, how about Kikwang?”

Jihyo arched her eyebrows. “What about him?”

“I don’t know whether you know this or not, but… I do like Kikwang, Hyo. I’ve been admiring him ever since the first day of our high school life. And honestly… I envy you for having him as your friend. I--“

“Why didn’t you tell me from the beginning?” Jihyo cut Minkyung off. She folded her arms on her chest and gave a serious look to the older girl next to her.

“I don’t want to disturb you. I’ll let him go if you like him. I’m happy as long as you’re happy.” Minkyung smiled bitterly.

“Babo. Babo yeoja.”

Minkyung looked up and saw Jihyo chuckled. “I don’t like him as a lover. Yes, I do like him, but only as a friend.”

“SERIOUSLY?”

“Why would I lie to my bestfriend?”

Before Minkyung could answer, both of them felt the vibration on the bed that was caused by Jihyo’s phone. The owner quickly read the message and smirked. “Yoseob asked me to have dinner with the boys. Wanna join us? This is now or never, Hwang Minkyung.”

 

~~~

 

“Hyooooooooooooo!” Kikwang ran up to Jihyo and hugged her. “Finally you’re here.”

“Aish. Lovebirds are here.” Doojoon teased. He chuckled and entered the dining room with Hyunseung while Jihyo, Kikwang, and Minkyung were still standing at the entrance of the dining room.

“Oh? Minkyung is also here?” Kikwang asked, his face was full of happiness. He smiled widely. “Welcome to my house, Minkyung-ah.”

Minkyung smiled back, trying to stable her heartbeat. ‘Damn. Kikwang why so handsome?’

“Come on. Let’s eat.” Kikwang grabbed Jihyo’s hand and was about to drag her but she stopped him.

“I’m sorry but I gotta go, oppa. I have something important to do.”

Minkyung glared at Jihyo in disbelief.

“You can’t go.” Kikwang pouted like a child. “Let’s eat dinner together tonight, Hyo.”

“Mianhae, oppa.” Jihyo tried to smile. “Maybe next time.”

“Aww~ Kiki is a loner tonight.” Yoseob joked, making the others laughed.

Minkyung gave Jihyo what-about-me look. She was sure she would cause an awkward situation since she wasn’t as bubbly as Jihyo.

“Well, I’m going. Have fun, guys!” Jihyo tried to sound happy. She didn’t know why but she felt pain in her heart. She walked up to Minkyung and whispered something in her ear. “Just enjoy your dinner with your crush.”

Minkyung slapped Jihyo’s arm playfully and nodded. She mouthed ‘thanks’ to Jihyo and waved her hands.

Jihyo walked away from Kikwang’s house while kept her head down. She put her hands in the pockets of her hoodie and puffed her cheeks out. She stopped and looked at Kikwang’s house for a while, she knew something was missing but she just couldn’t tell what that thing was.

“Looking for me?”

Jihyo’s heartbeat increased as that voice entered her eardrums. She turned around and saw him leaning on the wall, smirking. She starred at his oh so gorgeous face and it only made her heart thumping like crazy.

Junhyung approached Jihyo and messed her hair. “You look cute when you’re blank.”

Jihyo didn’t say anything. She kept starring at Junhyung who looked so stunning tonight even though he was only wearing a white v-neck t-shirt and jeans. He smirked. “Am I that good looking?”

Jihyo gained her consciousness back and quickly shook her head. “Ani.”

Junhyung just shrugged it off. “Why are you still here? I think I heard Seobbie invited you for dinner.”

“I’m full. Besides, Minkyung is there to replace me.” Jihyo started walking and Junhyung followed as well. “Since you mentioned it, why are you also here? Your friends are having dinner at Kikwang’s house.”

“I just don’t feel like having dinner with them. That’s all.”

They continued walking in silent. Without realizing it, both of them had reached the park near their school building. Junhyung grabbed Jihyo’s hand and led her to the nearby bench.

“So, how is it?” Junhyung asked as he let go of Jihyo’s hand and sat down.

“How is what?”

“Being close to Kikwang and--“

“Geez~ You sound like Minkyung.” Jihyo facepalmed herself. “Kikwang, Kikwang, and Kikwang.”

“What’s with Minkyung and Kikwang?”

“Minkyung likes Kikwang. Clear? So stop talking--“

“Tell her to kick her feelings for Kikwang away.”

Jihyo gave Junhyung a confused look. “What do you mean?”

“I think I’ve told you about Kikwang rearranged his classes so he could always be in the same class with you.”

“So? What’s wrong with that?”

“Babo. Don’t you realize how nice Kikwang treats you? Don’t you realize how sweet Kikwang acts whenever you’re around him? Don’t you realize how happy he is whenever you’re beside him?”

Jihyo slowly shook her head as a hint hit her mind. She couldn’t believe it, she wouldn’t believe it.

“Yes. Kikwang likes you.”