Day 2 9AM KST

The Generation Chronicles: 1990

                Miyoung placed a hand on top of the files before I could open them. We were currently sitting in a small café in Seoul, and she’d finally given me the okay to read the contents. I still wasn’t sure if I even wanted to know what was in there, but clearly if my dad was willing to risk his life for it, it must be important, and I wanted to know what exactly my dad had even died for.

                She gazed at me for a moment, opening and closing . “Please don’t think differently of your father once you read this.” She said, slowly pulling her hand away. “You have to understand that he was doing this for your well-being.”

                I gave her a confused look before sighing and turning to the file. I opened it to the first page and felt Miyoung instantly tense. There was a large emblem at the top of the paper in red. It had a flacon on the design and a ribbon wrapped around it’s body with the word ‘RESEARCH’ in bold letters. It looked intimidating. I glanced at Miyoung, giving her a questioning look, and she encouraged me to keep reading with a small nod. I scanned through what was written underneath the emblem.

                “Is this about me?” I asked, scanning through the scribbled information. My birth date, hospital I was born in, along with a lot of other personal stuff was written down. Underneath all of that, was writing that I didn’t understand. ‘Test Subject 23’Successful Injection’Signs of Growth Evident’Return Age: 18’

                Miyoung stayed silent, studying my expression as I continued to read.

                “Miyoung?” Her eyes snapped up to meet my eyes. “What does all of this mean?”

                She took a deep breath. “Do you know what your dad did as his job when you were younger?”

                I shrugged. “He was a scientist. He researched cures for illness and stuff.”

                Miyoung nodded, gesturing to the file. “Right. A way to cure a person before they even get sick.”

                I stared at her in confusion for a while, allowing her words to sink in. but they still didn’t make any sense. “How do you cure a person before they get sick?”

                Miyoung gestured to the file. “Lots of scientific equations and whatnot, all written in there.”

                I pulled my hands away from the file, suddenly feeling rather threatened by it.

                Miyoung continued, “The company that your father worked with—the Research—they want this file, Anya, but they can’t have it.”

                “Why not? If this is the same company my dad worked for then shouldn’t they be trusted?”

                Miyoung vigorously shook her head, leaning forward. “They’re corrupt now, Anya. They’re a bunch of power-seekers, wanting to get their hands on a way to create the next superhuman race. You saw what happened to your father. He defied them and that was his consequence, because he knew too much. He was too connected.”

                I swallowed the lump in my throat after the mention of my dad and looked away. “So why are they coming after me?”

                Miyoung seemed to struggle to answer this question. “You are Test Subject 23.”

                I turned back around and stared at her disbelief. “They tested on me?”

                Miyoung nodded. “When you were just a baby, they gave you an injection with a serum to build up your immune system, but it did more than they expected.”

                I thought of my abilities, all of the things I was able to do that weren’t normal.

                “My dad let them do that?” I asked in a quiet voice.

                Miyoung gave me a sad look. “He was desperate. You were so young when your mother died from cancer and he was so afraid that he’d lose you too. He couldn’t bear the thought, so when the Research asked for volunteers, he agreed without thinking of the consequences.” She reached over and touched my hand. “He was grieving, Anya, and not in his right mind. He tried to back out for your protection, but the Research is a powerful company. They took you away until they were done with you and gave you back to your dad.” Miyoung let out a shaky breath. “He’s never forgiven himself for putting you in this situation.”

                I sighed and shook my head. “Okay, I understand.”

                Miyoung glanced around before reaching over and closing the file abruptly. A group of men walked passed our table, wearing dark tinted sunglasses and trench coats. I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up in unease as I glanced up and caught one staring at us. He turned away quickly and I looked back at Miyoung, who was sipping her coffee as if nothing was out of the ordinary.

                “But, Miyoung, what I don’t understand is why—“

                She shot me a warning look, telling me to keep quiet. The men had taken seats at the table adjacent from us and were in the middle of ordering something from a waitress. They were in earshot of our conversation.

                I let my voice fade out as I turned to look down at my own cup of coffee. I didn’t like the stuff, but I had ordered it just because Miyoung had. I took a sip and tried to play it off as if I enjoyed it.

                “How have your classes been, sweetheart?” Miyoung asked in a forced voice dripping with sweetness. She gave me a quick smile, but her eyes told me to play along.

                I shrugged, running a hand through my hair in an attempt to hide how much they were suddenly shaking. What was going on? “Um, th-they’re alright. Pretty boring.”

                Miyoung nodded, reaching over to pat my hand in a way of comfort. “They’ll get better, darling.” In one swift movement, she slid the file off the table and into her lap. “They’re probably just boring because you’re such a bright student!” She let out a small chuckle and I quickly followed her lead. “Well, we should get going; you have another class soon, don’t you?” She stood up, discretely slipping the file into her bag with her back to the men, who had been glancing our way as soon as the waitress had left their table. I nodded and stood up too, grabbing my bag as I followed Miyoung towards the exit.

                We didn’t make it.

                Miyoung glanced behind us and caught sight of the danger before I could even blink. She pulled me out of the way and ducked behind a table, dragging me with her.

                Gunshots. One of those guys had brought a gun. Or maybe all of them had. He was just the first one to shoot.

                Miyoung exhaled sharply and when I looked down, I realized the bullet had hit her. She was bleeding from her side heavily.

                “Miyoung!” I gasped, gripping tightly to her arm. She looked at and gave me a reassuring smile.

                “Looks like you’re going to have to go on without me.” She said in a hushed tone as chaos ensued around us. I instantly shook my head. “No, listen to me, Anya. I know someone that can help you. More than I ever could, actually.” She pulled a slip of paper out of her jacket pocket and forced it into my hand. “Go to this address and tell them Mega sent you.”

                “Why is this happening?” I asked, already feeling the urge to cry come over me.

                “Hey, breathe, okay? It’s going to be alright. Just go to this address.” She gestured towards the paper. “Now calm down and go.” I began to stand up but Miyoung instantly yanked me back down, shaking her head. “No, use your powers. Teleport there.”

                “I can take you with me!” I said, desperately clinging onto her. Miyoung shook her head slowly.

                “It’s too late for me, Anya. Just go.”

                She slipped my bag into my hand and gave me another smile. “I love you so much, Anya. Thank you for being my daughter. You truly were always my daughter.”

                I nodded, not able to say anything. Reluctantly, I turned away from Miyoung and the café and those men that were getting closer and closer and came face to face with a door.

                I was in an apartment building. I glanced down at the address and took note that I was in front of the correct door. So I knocked.

                There was a lot of shuffling and crashing coming from the other side. It made me nervous. Not to mention I was on the edge of an emotional breakdown. I banged my fist against the door impatiently.

                It swung open with much more force than needed and I jumped back in surprise.

                In front of me was a guy, not much older than me. Or maybe we were the same age. Either way, he wasn’t who I expected to see. He narrowed his eyes in suspicion at the sight of me.

                I must have looked like a wreck.

                “Who are you?” he asked. His voice was thick with sleep.

                I gripped tightly to the strap of my bag and cleared my throat. “Mega sent me.”

                His eyes grew slightly wider and he quickly ushered me into the apartment, closing the door and locking it. “This way.” He muttered, gesturing for me to follow him. We walked down the hall in silence until we got to the kitchen. He gestured for me to sit down then went to the fridge. He poured us both a glass of water and then took a seat across from me.

                He just stared at me.

                “What?” I mumbled, feeling exhaustion seep through me quickly. I was fading fast.

                “Is Mega…alright?” he asked hesitantly.

                I shrugged. “I don’t know who Mega is, but I’m not.”

                He sighed, running a hand through his hair with his eyes still on me.

                “What?” I demanded, feeling uncomfortable under his gaze.

                “Mega’s real name is Miyoung.”

                My heart sank at the sound of her name. “No, she’s not alright. She’s probably dead by now. Those guys—“

                “They got her?” he sighed again, closing his eyes. I instantly relaxed a bit. “This isn’t good. She was the last—no wait, her husband.” His eyes snapped back open. “She had a husband, he wasn’t Korean. They lived in England and he—“

                “Dead.” I said in a flat voice. “I’m his daughter.”

                He nodded, looking away. “I figured, but I wanted to confirm that last part.”

                It got silent.

                “Who are you then?” I asked.

                He looked back at me. “They call me Rome.”