Did I?

Just You

 

 

[A/N: Please wait for a second (and most probably a third) chapter after this one~ :3]



 

“YAH! KIM YUKWON!” Yukwon heard a familiar screech from where he was seated in the classroom. In a matter of seconds, an angry girl storms inside the classroom, with her narrowed eyes carefully scanning the classroom. Yukwon quickly lowered his head and hoped for a miracle that he wouldn’t be found. He kept his head low in anxiety, and it wasn’t long before he felt a heavy blow at the back of his head.

 

“YAH! THAT HURT!” He whined as he lifted his head and rubbed the back of his head with his hand. He felt another blow on his forehead even before he could say another sentence. “YAAAAH!” He yelled, disregarding the classmates who were looking. He rubbed both the back of his head and his forehead with his two hands as he looked up with an innocent pout in his face. “What was that for?” he asked with his innocent pout still in place.

 

The girl in front of him scoffed and crossed her arms in front of her chest. She threatened to hit Yukwon one more time, but Yukwon was able to grab her arm just in time and pushed her down to her seat beside him. “What’s with that innocent look? Don’t act like you didn’t do anything!” she said angrily.

 

Yukwon avoided her eyes and moved away quickly when he saw her motioning to hit his head again. “Choi Yubin! You have to stop hitting me! You’re going to ruin my handsome face!” He said with a wide smile. Yubin paid no attention to Yukwon’s words as she pinched Yukwon’s arm with as much force as she could exert. Yukwon in turn, cringed in pain. He’d always be surprised at how strong Yubin was despite her fragile appearance. “Why don’t you explain this first?” Yubin explained as she held out a crumpled piece of paper with slightly messy handwriting.

 

“Yubin-ah! I saw you put your food here right before you went to the restroom. I haven’t had breakfast so I took it! Thanks in advance! ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

 

Yukwon read the note with curious eyes and looked back at Yubin as he finished reading. “What makes you think I wrote that?” Yukwon said almost innocently. Yubin narrowed her eyes at Yukwon. She was sure the one who took her lunch was Yukwon. “Because I can recognize your handwriting, you babo.” Yubin answered back sharply. Yukwon couldn’t hold it in anymore and smiled once again. Yubin frowned at Yukwon’s mischievous smile.

 

“I can’t believe you ate my lunch again! Now I have to buy my lunch, which means spending money, Yukwon! Why would you even eat my lunch so early in the morning?” Yubin asked, but not exactly expecting an answer from Yukwon. All Yukwon did was smile his mischievous smile at Yubin and say, “I was hungry! At least I know I’ll be buying and eating lunch with a friend later.” Yubin rolled her eyes and took out her textbook with much frustration. “Whoever told you that you were my friend?” She answered coldly.

~

 

The cafeteria was bustling with the uncontainable energy of the students. Some played around and chatted with each other while others sat quietly trying to cram their homework or review for an exam. Yubin entered the cafeteria, and bought herself some lunch. Just as she sat on an empty table, Yukwon sat himself on the seat across her.

 

“Sorry. That seat’s taken.” She said as she glared at Yukwon. The latter whined, but didn’t leave his seat. “Yeah. Taken by me.” Yukwon said as-a-matter-of-factly. Yubin plopped her chin on her palm and rolled her eyes. “Why don’t you ever leave me alone, Yukwon-ah? It’s enough that we live across each other. Why do you have to eat my packed lunch, pester me during lunch, and then you’ll be following me back home later?

 

“You bug me more than you help me, and all you do is give me that smile of yours. You always look like you’re up to no good.” Yubin ranted. Yubin took a spoonful of food into and she heard a laugh from across the table. “But I thought you liked my company!” Yukwon said confidently. “Plus, you help me with homework! The least I could do is keep you company to say thanks.”

 

Yubin heaved a heavy sigh. She didn’t know if she should just accept Yukwon’s friendship or shun it and be alone every day. At least this way, she had a companion, even if he occasionally drove her up the wall. Yubin finished her lunch and stood up to throw her trash and leave the cafeteria. Yukwon followed and followed her pace.

 

“Yubin-ah, let’s hang out at my backyard this afternoon! I can feel today’s a great day to lie down on the grass and just feel the cool breeze of spring!” Yukwon invited. Yubin didn’t seem to hear his invitation and Yukwon proceeded to poking Yubin’s arm repeatedly.

 

“But I have homework to do, Yukwon-ah. Don’t you think you should do yours too?” Yubin answered and as if automatically, Yukwon let out a whine. “But the weather feels great today!” He reasoned. “Come on Yubin-ah. Don’t be such a party-pooper.” Yukwon said before sticking his tongue out at his friend.

 

“Okay, okay, if it’ll get you to keep quiet.” Yubin yielded. Yukwon raised his arm in victory and slung the other over Yubin’s shoulders. “Yah.” She said as she brushed off Yukwon’s arm off of her shoulders. “Don’t you have other friends to bug?” She said. “Nope, just you.” Yukwon stated with a laugh. Yubin hit Yukwon’s chest lightly and walked faster as the other tried to keep up with her pace.

~

 

The two had made their way home as soon as class ended. Yukwon would not stop pestering Yubin all the way home. When they had arrived, the two walked straight into Yukwon’s backyard. His dad was at work, and his mom went out for a while to buy food to cook for dinner.

 

There was a sturdy tree standing near the fence of their backyard. Their backyard wasn’t huge, but spacious enough play around in. Yukwon took a seat right below the tree, where it’s shadow rested. He invited Yubin to sit beside him, and she hesitantly did so.

 

“I told you the weather today is great!” Yukwon said as he leaned on the tree trunk. “I usually sit on this spot and sometimes I’d take naps here.”

 

“No wonder you keep forgetting your homework.” Yubin said. She heard a laugh from beside her. She leaned on the sturdy trunk as well, and felt the cool breeze on her face. “Of course I’d fall asleep! Don’t you get tired after a whole day in school?” Yukwon asked.

 

All he heard was “Mhmm,” and he turned his head to take a look at Yubin. She had closed her eyes, still feeling the wind blow through her face and hair. She seemed to be taking it all in nicely; she seemed to finally have a chance to relax.

 

“Choi-Yu-bin. The-girl-with-a-weird-name~” Yukwon chanted with a singsong voice. “Say-her-name-but-you-don’t-know-if-she’s-a-“He continued, but he felt a finger flick on his forehead before he could finish his little song.

 

Kim Yukwon. Sshikkeureo.” Yubin silently said, and the other quickly stopped, trying to suppress his laughter. The two spent the late afternoon mostly in silence. Yukwon stared up at the sky, watching the clouds pass them by. It startled him when he felt something heavy on his left shoulder.

 

Yukwon turned his head slowly to see a sleeping Yubin. She had been tired all day, and Yukwon knew how hard she had been pushing herself when it came to her studies. He studied the small details about Yubin’s face: her long eyelashes, the darkening circles around her eyes, her seemingly soft lips.

 

Before he knew it, Yukwon found himself inching closer towards Yubin’s lips. When he was barely inches apart from Yubin’s lips, he hesitated, but finally closed the gap slowly. It wasn’t long before Yukwon suddenly felt Yubin kiss back. Yukwon finally pulled away, but was staring at Yubin with surprised eyes.

 

“Why would you even make a move on a sleeping girl?” Yubin said flatly at Yukwon. The latter could only flash a guilty smile at Yubin, who ended up smiling seeing his innocent face.

 

Yubin straightened up and leaned back on the sturdy tree trunk. After another while of silence, Yukwon finally spoke up once again. “But you kissed back.” He said simply. He kept his eyes on Yubin, who in turn looked back at him with a bright smile on her face.

 

“Did I?” She teased. Yukwon whined and wrapped an arm around her shoulder, holding her close, and planted a kiss on Yubin’s forehead.