Figure it out yourself.

So, We're Kind of a Little Clichéd too.

It's Friday, a week after Tao and Kris watched the French film. They haven't seen each other for days (because Tao refuses to see Kris inside campus) but the communication hasn't stopped. The older would call him or text him from time to time and Tao, being very naïve, thinks of them as just the blond getting friendly with him.

The young Chinese is lying on Studio 3's floor. It's already 4 in the afternoon and he should be heading back to his dorm to rest but he's too exhausted to move. His other friends have already gone back to their classes while the other went about in their own business. Tao feels sticky and all sweaty, he lazily lifts up his water bottle to his mouth, letting some of its contents run down his chin and neck.

His phone suddenly rings from the floor next to him startlng the young Chinese a bit, "Hello?" He answers lazily. A small smile tugs on his lips when he hears the all-too familiar voice speak on the other end of the line.

'How's the reaction paper?'

"Halfway there..." He pants and then sits up on the floor, "Why did you call?"

'Are you busy tonight?'

"Well, I'm gonna try to finish most of my stuff so I can have weekends free, why?"

'Thinking of dinner.'

"What happened to not wanting to distract me from doing my paper?" He asks playfully, the raven-haired boy hears the blond chuckle.

'...I kinda miss seeing your face already.'

Tao doesn't speak, he just lets Kris' words float in the air around him. Sure, the two of them talk almost everyday however short and playful the conversations are but the younger knows that the older is being serious this time.

'Tao?'

"I'm here."

'Can't wait until next Saturday.'

"... Yeah."

'Where are you, anyway? You sound so tired.'

"Just finished my wushu training. I'm about to go home." Tao grunts as he finally stands up from the floor and walks to his bag.

'Alright. I'm gonna go to the Student Council meeting now. See you when I do.'

"Bye." Tao hangs up first. He sighs to himself as he stuffs his cellphone back to his bag and he heads out of the studio.

He arrives in his dorm to find that his dorm mate is still not home. Tao decides to just take a quick shower first and then a nap before asking Jonghyun to dinner.

His nap ends up taking three hours due to severe exhaustion and when he wakes up, he finds Jonghyun playing his guitar on his bed, "Yo."

"Hey, hyung. What time did you arrive?" Tao asks as he rubs the sleep off his eyes. Jonghyun places the guitar back to its case, "About 15 minutes ago. Waiting for you to wake up so we can eat."

"Let me wash up and let's head out." The young Chinese smiles and then runs to the bathroom.

The both of them go to the small fast food restaurant across their dorm's building. They take a table by the window and order their usual when the waitress comes for their food. "You look happy." Jonghyun tells the younger while waiting for their food to arrive.

"I do?"

"Yeah. Happier, moreso." His older roommate smiles, "Something... Someone making you smile these days?"

Tao sighs, "You could say that."

"You're already blushing just to the thought of this person." Jonghyun smiles, "Who's he? She?"

"He. Uhmn, I don't know. I'm confused."

"But you look so happy, what's there to be confused about?"

"It's a bit complicated, hyung." Tao sighs but offers a small smile to his roommate. Jonghyun doesn't ask anymore and they silently eat their dinner together.

When they're back in their room together, that's when Tao speaks again, "You might know him, hyung."

"How would I?" Jonghyun asks, playing his guitar again.

"He's in the basketball team." Tao tells him as he lies on his bed.

"Oh! Minho might know."

"Kris Wu."

"You're kidding."

Tao sighs, "Nope. I'm not."

"Wooooow. I mean. Wow."

Tao chuckles, "We're not dating, but we're getting closer."

"I know a lot of students who has a little crush or simple admiration for that guy."

Tao turns and lies on his chest. He buries his face in his pillow, "I know, hyung. I know."

Jonghyun chuckles, "I see, I see. I think I know what your problem is." Tao doesn't speak so Jonghyun continues, "You think he's a player? Because of his popular status?"

'A bit. But not entirely.' Tao thinks to himself but stays silent so he lets Jonghyun keep talking.

"Just get to know the guy. As you said, you're getting closer. You're becoming friends, so there's no harm in knowing him more."


Tao sits up and sighs, "I guess you're right. It's not like I actually want to date him anyway."

Jonghyun laughs loudly, "Yeah. Keep telling yourself that."

"Whatever, hyung." Tao sticks out his tongue and decides to start working on his reaction paper. He puts on his headphones and opens his laptop then gets lost in his world as he shuts off Jonghyun's soft melody and listens to his own brand of music on his iPod.

It takes hours and hours, Tao doesn't even notice the time flying by until his head almost falls face first to his keyboard. He yawns and saves his work before shutting down his laptop. He finds Jonghyun asleep and he decides that it's time for him to sleep too.

Tao jumps on his bed and realizes that he's left his phone unattended. He checks the time, it's half past midnight and he has 3 unread messages.

From: Kris
Sent: 9:45 PM

You busy? I don't wanna bother you, but can I call you?

From: Kris
Sent: 10:30 PM

Stop ignoring me. I want to hear your voice. :(


From: Kris
Sent: 12:05 AM

It's past midnight! Stop studying and go to bed. Good night. :) 


Tao's heart is racing and butterflies are everywhere when he types a reply to him. It's late and Kris is probably asleep but the younger doesn't want the other to think that he indeed ignored him.

To: Kris
Sent: 12:40 AM

I wasn't ignoring you. I forgot my phone on my bed. Good night, ge. :) 


Tao smiles to himself and clutches the phone tight in his hand. He rereads all of Kris' text messages to him and how the friendly conversations turn gradually into affectionate exchanging of words.

-----

Tao wakes up the next day to his phone vibrating under his chest. He grunts upon realizing that he must have fallen asleep with the phone in his hand. The younger lazily opens the message, the light blinding him a little.

From: Kris
Sent: 8:14 AM

Good morning :) if you're awake now, breakfast?


Tao understands the message half-asleep and just types on his phone. He presses 'send' and goes back to sleep. A few minutes later, his phone starts vibrating again. The younger pulls on his hair and sits up to read the text message again.

From: Kris
Sent: 8:18 AM

You're so cute. Fine. Go back to bed.


Tao furrows his brows, and then checks his message. A small chuckle escapes his lips when he realizes the message he sent the blond.

To: Kris
Sent: 8:16 AM

Toi eatly. Stildjflksdjf rekeks. 


The ravenhaired boy sighs, and texts Kris again to save himself from the embarrassment.

To: Kris
Sent: 8:21 AM

Sorry about that. I was still half - asleep. Good morning to you too. :) 


Tao leaves his phone on the bed and heads to the bathroom to wash up. When he wakes up, Jonghyun is mumbling something against his pillow. Tao asks what him to repeat what he said. Jonghyun opens one eye and faces Tao.

"Your phone kept ringing. Go downstairs, you and Kris are going out for breakfast."

"WHAT?!"

Jonghyun mumbles, 'revenge' before covering his face with a pillow and goes back to sleep. Tao sighs and just changes to a plain white shirt and cargo pants. He takes his wallet and phone before slipping on his sandals and getting out of the room.

"Hey." Kris greets him the moment he stepped out of the building. Tao smiles shyly because this is kind of a little awkward, not seeing Kris for almost a week but constantly talking to him is a bit unnatural, almost like they were long-distance lovers seeing each other after a long time (when in reality they live a block or two away and study in the same university). The younger doesn't say anything, Kris sighs and walks ahead.

"Uh, I think I woke up your roommate." Kris starts awkwardly, and Tao mumbles a 'yes'. "Tell him I'm sorry." Kris replies and Tao chuckles, ice finally breaking between them, "I think me coming with you for breakfast now is enough."

"What do you mean?" Kris asks as he opens the door to the coffee shop a block away from Tao's place. "I would have refused."

"Oh." Kris' heart sinks to his stomach and Tao can see the disappointment. He's being mean to Kris and he knows it, but he can't help it. They don't say anything after they order their food and the rest of waiting for it to arrive is spent with the both of them just looking out the window in awkward silence.

"Are you... Avoiding me?" Kris cuts the looming tension between them after he takes a sip of his coffee. Tao looks up from cutting his croissant in pieces and stares at Kris in silence. The blond continues talking, "Because I'm pretty sure we're okay texting and talking over the phone."

"It's not like that." Tao speaks and takes a piece of his breakfast. He swallows it before speaking again, "It's... I just..."

"Go on. I'm pretty sure I'll understand."

"I'm just..." Tao laughs nervously, he wants to tell Kris he's afraid to be seen with Kris publicly because Luhan might see them and god knows his friend will kill him. "I guess it's different seeing you personally than just talking to you over the phone."

"You weren't shy the first time we met nor when we went out for a date."

"It wasn't a date!" Tao exclaims rather loudly, thankful that there were only a handful of customers inside that morning. Kris laughs and the younger sighs, "We weren't constantly talking before we went out. This is a little different."

"Yeah, you could say that this is a little different now." Kris smiles and Tao is blinded by it. The blond takes a deep breath and stares at him, "A good kind of different for me."

Tao furrows his brows, "What do you mean...?"

"I'll tell you when I'm certain. I'm testing the waters." Kris offers a genuine smile and Tao returns the gesture with a sigh. He takes a sip of his hot chocolate when Kris speaks again, "I really missed your face."

And the chocolate burns his tongue.

-----

They didn't even finish their breakfast.

"I'm really sorry." Kris apologizes again when he's walking Tao back to his dorm. Some morning joggers are staring at the younger because his white shirt is covered in brown liquid that has dried up. Tao frowns at the passersby and then at Kris. The blond laughs nervously, "I'll pay for dry cleaning, I swear."

Tao hits his arm playfully, "You didn't have to say that when I'm drinking something hot."

Kris doesn't say anything until they reach the front of Tao's building. He hands over the take-out slice of cake he bought for Tao as apology as well, "But I really did miss seeing you up close."

Tao smiles at him, he wants to say that he did miss seeing him face to face too but he decides not to, because it means he's getting attached, too attracted and it scares him.

"I... I'll see you on Saturday, ge." Is all Tao could say before he turns around and runs inside his building.

-----

It's Thursday evening and all 11 of them are inside the dance studio Kai and Lay rented for practice. Sehun and Luhan are dancing with them while the others just watch. For days, Tao hasn't seen Kris and he's thankful that the blond doesn't usually eat in the cafeteria Tao and his friends frequent. The younger is fiddling on his phone when a new message appears.

From: Kris
Sent: 7:43 PM

I'm exhausted from all these meetings. And I have basketball training tomorrow. I wanna die. :(


Tao giggles and Kyungsoo looks at him judgingly. Tao apologizes to his older friend and sends a reply.

To: Kris
Sent: 7:44 PM

Serves you right, overachiever.


Tao laughs at his own message and Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow at him. The young Chinese excuses himself out of the practice room when his phone starts ringing.

'You're a bad kid.' Kris starts and Tao just laughs, "But you wanted to do all that so you can't complain!"

'Point. So, what are you doing right now? Aside from teasing me?'

"Hanging out with my friends. Watching some of them dance. You?"

'Dorm. Bed. My head hurts so much.'

Tao hears collective chattering from inside and he knows that they're all heading out to leave, "Get some rest, ge. We're getting dinner. Good night."

'See you Saturday.'

Tao hangs up the phone and he's about to go inside when he's met with Luhan and his bag being handed over to him. "Who are you talking to?"

"Just a friend from back home." Tao lies and takes his bag, "Thanks, ge."

Most decide not to join the dinner and ends up with Luhan, Sehun, Tao, Chanyeol and Baekhyun. They're in the middle of eating when Baekhyun pipes up, "Hey, Luhan-hyung. I heard a rumor about your prince."

Luhan looks up expectantly while Tao stiffens next to him. "What is it, Baekhyun?"

Baekhyun smiles teasingly, "Heard he's dating someone new."

Luhan yelps so suddenly that his glass topples over, water flows on the table and lands on Tao's lap. The older Chinese doesn't even apologize to Tao and Sehun does in his behalf. The younger Chinese just says it's okay, using the distraction as diversion from his racing heart.

Chanyeol and Baekhyun laugh, Luhan puffs his cheeks, "We're kidding!" Chanyeol bursts out, Luhan glares at the two, "I almost killed both of you! And look, Tao got wet because of you! Apologize to him!"

Tao waves his hand to tell the two not to bother and because he's a bit relieved that they're just joking around. "You're so funny, hyung. How would we even know such a thing? We don't know anybody directly connected to your prince charming." Baekhyun tells the older, "Unless you're really curious then maybe we can dig into him deeper."

"No. It ruins his mystery. Besides, I'll be the one he's dating soon!" Luhan exclaims, Sehun groans and Tao sighs in relief.

-----

It rained hard that Friday afternoon and Tao left his umbrella at home and by some twist of fate, his phone is also there (he was running late this morning). He's soaking in sweat and it's suicide to run in the rain in his state but the rain isn't showing hint of stopping soon, so he decides to just make a run for it.

He's soaking from head to toe and shivering to the bones when he reached his dorm. He takes a shower and falls right to sleep once he's changed to his pajamas.

-----

"Tao, are you okay?" Jonghyun shakes his roommate awake when he notices the younger man shivering under his blankets, "Hey, Tao?"

"It's cold... Too cold." The Chinese mumbles, Jonghyun checks his temperature. "Tao, you're burning!" His roommate runs to the bathroom to prepare a cold compress, and puts a damp towel on Tao's forehead. "Tao, I can't stay long because I have a part-time job. Give me your phone, I'll ask someone to take care of you."

Tao groans and lazily grabs his phone. He unlocks it and finds a number of messages and missed calls but ignores them for now. He gives the phone to Jonghyun and falls back to sleep.

It must have been hours, must have been mere minutes and Tao couldn't be too sure. He wakes up to someone washing his body with a damp cloth and he feels a little better now. Tao groans and lazily opens his eyes, "Kris?"

"Hey. Your roommate called."

'Of course, Jonghyun would call him. Great.'

"Sorry for being a bother..." Tao groans and Kris chuckles as he continues to wash the younger's arms. "I was worried about you yesterday. You weren't answering calls and texts."

Tao tries to sit up and Kris helps him, "I left my phone here and also my umbrella. I had to make a run for it."

"I was actually thinking of just picking you up since I was worried about you. But you hate it when I try to see you unannounced."

Tao nods, "That's true." Kris sighs and tells the younger to open his mouth. He puts a thermometer in it and he tells him he'll back in a minute. Kris leaves the room and Tao takes this chance to check his phone. He has 8 missed calls yesterday and at least 15 messages all from Kris - from the usual greetings to the questions of why he's being ignored and the concerned 'where are you's'. The morning message is quite different though, and too early than usual.

From: Kris
Sent: 4:58 AM

I couldn't sleep because of you. Did I do something wrong? I couldn't help but be worried about you, I hate it when you ignore me. I'm sorry I'm getting clingy but I can't help it. 


Kris returns just then with a tray of food, "I left this in the common kitchen for you. Eat it so you can take your meds."

Tao nods, Kris takes the thermometer from his mouth, "You're temperature is still a bit high but at least it's breaking." The blond starts feeding Tao, the younger is reluctant at first but Kris is persistent. He takes his meds when he finishes the rice porridge. Kris leaves to take the dishes and tray back to the common kitchen and they just look at each other silently when he returned inside the room until Tao speaks, "Thank you."

"Get back to sleep." Kris smiles. Tao sighs, "Stop worrying about you doing things I don't like. You're okay."

"Tao..." Kris starts, and Tao notices that he's fidgeting while sitting on his bed. Kris looks so small and childlike playing with the hem of his shirt, he casts his gaze downwards and avoids looking at Tao's eyes.

"What is it, ge?"

Kris turns and locks his gaze on Tao, the blond sighs and speaks, "I like you, Tao."

Tao doesn't speak and he feels his cheeks burning not because of the fever anymore. It's his turn to feel embarrassed since Kris is still staring at him. "You don't have to say anything yet, I just want to tell you right now. You're too naïve for your own good and I don't want to confuse you."

Tao nods because deep down, if he could, he's gonna answer Kris right away that he kinda likes him back but then there's Luhan and the friendship and his friend's undying affection to the guy who just confessed to him now.

"I hope you don't feel awkward around me, or ignore me. I'd like it if you'll get to know me better and maybe you'll be able to respond."

Tao smiles, "I'm sorry we won't be able to go out today." Kris laughs and ruffles Tao's hair, "Nice save on changing the subject but I don't mind. I'd like to take care of you rather than going out. Besides, you hate being seen with me."

"That's not entirely true!" Tao yelps and he sounds so defensive that Kris finds it amusing.

"It isn't?" Kris smirks playfully and Tao shakes his head, "I... I'm just not used to it."

Kris furrows his brows, "Meaning?"

Tao sticks out his tongue, "Figure it out yourself." The younger frowns and covers his entire figure with a blanket, "I'm going back to sleep."

He hears Kris chuckle and there's movement on the bed. Tao's feeling a bit better but his exhaustion is catching up to him, making him fall back to sleep.

He wakes up at night still covered with a blanket but with a heavy feeling on his waist. He slowly removes the covers from his head and finds Kris asleep beside him with his arm lazily placed on him. Tao doesn't move it away and allows himself to be a little selfish today and basks in the warmth that Kris Wu gives him.

 

-------------------------------


Author's Notes: Huh. I have a thing for people getting sick. maybe because someone special NEVER took care of me yet. Anyway, i have too much TaoRis feels lately and i really just contain it anymore. :3