Jeux d' enfants

So, We're Kind of a Little Clichéd too.

It's the day after the campus tour of the Freshmen in the university and Tao's wandering around the library, because for some ingenious decision, he's taking up French literature.

" my life, I can barely understand my own language's literature and he's already asking us to do a reaction paper this early in the semester." Tao mumbles as he browses through the fiction section of the library. He gathers books after books, heaving as the pile gets heavier and heavier. Tao decides to place it on the table before it's too late but of course, he missed the fact that the pile has reached his eyes and he can barely see the way to his table.

He steps slowly, feeling the ground beneath him and tries his hardest to reach his table without any accidents, "Need help?"

"Yes, please?" Tao grunts and he can feel the weight of the books lighten, "Oh, hi!" Tao greets the stranger helping him when they meet eye to eye, the blond stranger smiles, "Oh, hey. Huang Zitao, right? The latecomer from yesterday."

"Yeah." Tao pouts, "Sorry about that, Kris-ge."

Kris smiles at him, "No harm done. So! Where are we going with these?"

Tao looks around at the tables first, "Ah! There!" Tao walks towards a table, Kris follows him, "Almost forgot where I left my bag." They put the books on the table, Kris picks up a book and reads titles after titles, "French fiction?"

"I'm, unfortunately, taking up French literature. I thought it would be fun to take up a class of a different country for a minor literature subject, but I'm already regretting my decision." Tao sighs as he arranges the books from thickest to thinnest. He wonders what he should read as he reads the titles with much difficulty, "Professor Park told us he's gonna fail anybody immediately if we do a reaction paper on The Little Prince."

Kris sits across Tao, "I'd probably fail anybody who does."

"I'm doomed." Tao headdesks and Kris lets out a short chuckle, "Are you limited to books?" The older asks, Tao shakes his head 'no' without his forehead leaving the table's surface, "We can watch movies too but, I don't know where I'll look for one. It's due in two weeks and I just..." The younger sighs more defeated against the wood.

Kris places his chin on his palm, "You're in luck and I'm a nice guy."

Tao finally looks up from the table, "What do you mean?"

Kris reaches out and rubs on the red spot on Tao's forehead, the younger doesn't flinch nor pushes his hand away so the blond continues to rub it out, "I might be able to help you. My older cousin is hosting a world film festival of sorts in one of the local theaters near here. It started last Monday and he's been bugging me to see it. I'm sure last Monday was all Japanese and yesterday's Hongkong films, I'll ask if there's a French day."

Tao's eyes lighten up, "You will?"

"Yeah. Just hang on a second." Kris pulls his hand away from Tao's forehead and then grabs his phone, thankfully, they're seated at the far end of the room and away from the sharp ears of the librarian. Kris calls his cousin and Tao watches him, waiting eagerly for good news.

When the blond hangs up, he almost flinches when he sees Tao looking at him with bright eyes, "Well, if you're free on Friday all day, French films will be playing by then."

"Hmn." Tao pulls out his organizer from his bag and checks his schedule, "Well, I have classes until 1pm. Until what time is the movie festival?"

"Last movie's around 6 or 7."

Tao nods, "I see. I guess I can go to the one before the last film, I don't wanna go home too late anyway."

"My classes end at 2."

"So?" Tao looks at Kris, the older laughs, "What do you mean 'so?' Of course we're going together or else my cousin would not stop pestering me."

"Okay. Thanks."

"Give me your number so I can call you on Friday." Tao hands him his own phone with his number on screen then he jots down 'Watch French film with Kris' on his organizer.

"See you on Friday?" Kris asks as he stands up from his seat after giving back the younger's phone. Tao looks up to him with a smile, "Yeah."

"It's a date, then." Kris smirks, Tao gets wide-eyed and exclaims, "It's not a date!"

Kris just laughs it off, waves goodbye to Tao and leaves the library. The younger feels himself blush. He strikes through the words he just recently wrote and rewrites it again.

'A date with Kris-ge <3'

-----

Unfortunately, the next day (Thursday), Tao learns who's the person of Luhan's yearning.

"Yo, Tao." Luhan calls his attention when the older finds him in the cafeteria eating his lunch, the younger looks up, mid-bite on his sandwich, "Yup?"

"My useless bestfriend wasn't able to help me much so I hope you can."

"What can I do for you?"

Luhan sighs as he sits across the younger, "Did you learn anything about Kris during the tour?"

Tao feels his heart race but he tries to look as nonchalant as he could, "Kris?"

"Yeah... I have a goal this year."

"What? Graduate?" Tao takes another bite off his sandwich, Luhan laughs. Sehun comes with a tray of both his and Luhan's lunch. "You're funny, Tao. Aside from graduating, my goal is to get Kris Wu as my boyfriend."

Tao chokes on his sandwich, he grabs his drink, and downs it in one go. He coughs continuosly as he tries to steady himself once more, "What?"

"Don't take him too seriously, Tao. Luhan's just having a high school crush." Sehun tells the raven-haired boy and Tao just smiles apprehensively. As if on cue, his phone starts ringing from beside his plate, and Kris' name is flashing across the screen. He's thankful that Luhan's busy hitting Sehun so he grabs the phone, stands and excuses himself for a bit.

"Hello?" He answers once he steps out of the cafeteria.

'Is it your lunch break?'

"Yeah. Why?"

'It's mine too. Let's grab something to eat?'

"I'm already eating with my friends. Maybe next time?"

Tao hears Kris sigh from the other end of the line, 'Ok. But there is a next time, yes?'

"Y-yeah. Sure."

'Tomorrow's a go, right?'

"Yup. I need it for my grades." Tao laughs, Kris does the same, 'Great. I'll pick you up at your dorm around 3.'

"Ok."

'It's a date.'

"It's not a date!" Tao yells, he hangs up his phone immediately and rushes back inside the cafeteria to join his friends.

Luhan asks him his previous question when he sits across them again, and he answers that he didn't learn anything from Kris Wu during the tour, which is true. He doesn't admit to his friends that he's meeting Kris the next day, and Tao tells himself that after tomorrow, he won't have to see Kris anymore.

-----

There's a knock on Tao's dorm the next day around 2:30. He opens it to find Kris, "Let's go?"

"How far is it from here?" Tao asks, locking the door behind him.

"Maybe an hour away from here."

Tao scrunches his nose, "I thought it was near the area?"

"Thought so too."

"Are we taking the subway? The bus?"

"I'm not that cheap on the first date." Kris smirks, Tao hits his arm playfully, "THIS ISN'T A DATE!"

They make it out of the dorm and Tao looks left and right first, Kris cuts off his paranoia. "Tao, something wrong?"

"N-no! Nothing."

"Let's go." Kris crosses the street and opens a car's passenger door, "Get in."

"You brought your car..." Tao mumbles as he crosses the street and gets in the vehicle. Kris walks around it and enter's the driver's side.

"For the record, Kris-ge. This isn't a date."

Kris laughs as he starts the car, "You're so naïve." The older ruffles Tao's hair, "You're adorable."

"Ugh! It took me half an hour to fix my hair!" Tao grumbles and tries to fix his hair again. The car drives by, and as it turns to the highway, Tao ducks his head. He sees Luhan and Sehun walking down the street coming from campus.

"Avoiding someone?" Kris asks, Tao just mumbles a silent 'yes'.

The both of them don't talk much on the way to the theater, on account that Tao fell asleep while on the ride. Kris looks at the younger's face from time to time, and he looks peaceful and serene. Kris wouldn't have a problem looking at him for a long time. The blond drives on, his heart beating faster against his chest. He doesn't admit it to Tao (nor to anybody yet) but he's taken notice of the younger boy from the tour, though he tried hard not to let his immediate admiration show last Tuesday. The encounter at the library was pure coincidence that Kris couldn't be too thankful for. And Tao's naivete to his advances (how playful it must seem) plays to Kris' advantage because at least, the younger is getting comfortable with his presence. Kris looks at the younger again when he hits a red light, 'This boy,' he thinks, 'I can already picture my future with him.'

Kris nudges Tao awake when he's already parked in front of the theater, the younger fixes his hair again before stepping out of the car.

"Finally showed yourself up here, cuz!" A chubby-cheeked Chinese guy greets Kris, the blond rolls his eyes, "Yeah, yeah, Henry-ge. Oh, this is Tao."

"Your date?" Henry asks and Tao is quick to yell out, "NO!"

"Wow, he hates you with passion, Kris." Henry laughs, "I'm Henry Lau, his older cousin, but not too old! We grew up together in Canada."

"I see. Nice to meet you, I'm Huang Zitao."

Henry scoots closer and whispers against the younger's ears, "My cousin's been single for more than a year now and honestly, you're the first guy I've met after that relationship."

Tao's cheeks burn and he just nods his head, "Uhmn, O-okay."

"That's enough now, ge." Kris pulls Henry away from Tao, "Pardon him, Tao. He has no idea how to socialize normally."

Henry claps his hands together, "Okay!" The oldest among them checks his watch, "It's quarter to 4 and the next movie's at 4:30. Grab an early dinner or whatever." Henry claps Kris' shoulder, "And pay for the tickets!"

"Damn it, of course I will." Kris swats his cousin's hand away, "What's playing, anyway?"

"You'll see." Henry waves them goodbye, Kris walks to the ticket booth and pays for the tickets. He smirks when he sees the title of the film - 'Jeux d' enfants'.

"What are we watching?" Tao asks when Kris walks up to him, the older hands him his ticket, the younger reads the title printed on it, "Oh. This is interesting, ge."

"Wanna have that early dinner now?"

"Uhm..." Tao starts, Kris ruffles his hair again, "It's not a date, Tao. Just dinner between new friends, okay?"

Tao smiles and nods. Kris leads the way to a restaurant across the street and the older orders for the both of them. "So, how's the first week of university? Getting used to it already?" The blond asks while waiting for their food.

"Yeah. I thought it would be harder since I'm an exchange student but I'm okay." Tao rests his chin on the table, "I'm happy I met Sehun and Luhan-ge. They're my first friends and they help me adjust."

"Luhan... That name sounds so familiar..." Kris mumbles as he taps on his chin. Tao's heart races again, he wonders if the senior is aware that his other Chinese friend has a massive crush on Kris. "Ah! That campus nomad. Yeah, I've heard of him! I think, based on the years I'm already studying, we entered university the same year."

"So... You do know Luhan-ge?"

"Not personally, no. By name and by nomadic popularity, I guess. And those doe-eyes can't be missed too."

"Ahhh. I see, I see." Tao is about to ask something else but he decides against it. He doesn't know Kris all that well yet and it might be a little too awkward to suddenly ask. Tao's thankful that their food arrives just in time to save him from the looming awkward silence between them.

"What did Henry tell you earlier?" Kris asks between bites, Tao almost chokes on his mashed potatoes (what is up with questions that surprises him when he's eating?!). He drinks his water and swallows his food, "What?"

"Henry. He whispered something to you, what is it?"

"Ahhh. Secret." Tao smiles, and Kris raises an eyebrow, "Come on, Tao. Tell me."

"Maybe next time." Tao tells the older then remembers that there shouldn't be a 'next time.'

"You love telling me about a 'next time' huh?"

"This is already us eating together, ge."

"This isn't lunch, Tao."

Tao groans in defeat and just continues eating his food. "Finish up, ge. Movie's about to start soon."

Kris chuckles and finishes his food.

-----

"The movie's cute." Tao tells Kris after he steps inside the older's car. Kris starts the engine, "Cute? They got themselves buried in cement. How is that cute?"

"But, the alternate ending is cute." Tao argues, Kris smirks, "That ending was just added to make it less gruesome."

Tao rolls his eyes, "Hmnph. Whatever, ge. It's adorable that even in old age, they're still daring each other."

Kris laughs, "Well at least we're arguing. An argument makes a good reaction paper."

"Yeah. Thank you for this, ge." Tao smiles, "I'll pay you back soon." The younger tells the blond only to remind himself again that he should not. He should just thank him and that's enough.

"How about we go out again after you submit this paper? I wouldn't want to distract you while you have something to do."

Tao thinks for a moment, he tells himself that if they do go out again in 2 weeks, that's it. No more Kris or else Luhan would kill him. "Okay. Let's go out again. Friday in 2 weeks.". The younger tells him and jots it down on his organizer.

"What if I have a schedule on Friday?" Kris asks after watching Tao write on his organizer, the younger bites his bottom lip, Kris laughs, "Don't overthink. I don't often have schedules on Fridays." - he does have schedules on Fridays and he's already missed a student council meeting.

"A-are you sure? We can go on the weekends..." Tao asks timidly, and Kris is relieved. 2 Fridays from now and he's got basketball training at night. "Oh, great. Can we do it on Saturday? I'm sure I'm free on Saturdays."

"Okay." Tao erases the one he previously wrote and moves it for Saturday. They're having small talks when his phone rings, his eyes widen when Luhan's name flashes onscreen.

"Ge, can you be as quiet as a mouse? Please, please, please? I'm gonna have to lie once I take this call."

"Alright." Kris parks the car by the side of the road and turns off the radio. Tao smiles at him and takes the call, "Hi, ge. What's up?"

'It's Friday night. We're going to Kai's for a sleepover.'

"Ahhh, I see. I'll go there in an hour or so."

'An hour? Why? Where are you?'

Tao looks at Kris, the older mouths 'library'.

"L-library! Doing some research on my stupid French Lit paper."

'Sehun and I are just about to leave campus, want us to pick you up?'

"No! I-I'm with my other classmates. When we're done I'll rush right over at Kai's."

'Alright. We're inviting Kyungsoo over, too. Bring food!'

"Alright. Bye, ge." Tao ends the call and apologizes to Kris, "I couldn't tell them I'm with you. I'm so sorry."

"Why not?"

Tao bites his lower lip, "Uh, childish friends? They'd think we're dating and I... I don't want them to think weird stuff."

"I understand." Kris restarts the car and heads back home. An hour later they're in front of Tao's dorm, "Are you sure you don't want me to drop you off at your friend's apartment?" Kris asks from inside the car, Tao shakes his head, "I'm okay! I still need to change and buy some food anyway."

"Alright. See you around."

"Y-yeah. Thank you! Good night, ge." Tao waves Kris goodbye and enters the building. Kris watches until the door closes before he takes out the movie ticket, writes 'first date' on the back and puts it inside his wallet.

Tao is all smiles when he entered his room. His roommate is asleep so he quietly takes out the movie ticket, draws a small heart in one corner and tapes it on his organizer where he wrote 'A date with Kris-ge <3'. He then closes the organizer with a sigh, "I shouldn't be happy about this. Luhan-ge will skin me alive."

 

-----------

Author's Notes: "Jeux d' enfants" is "Love me if you dare", a 2003 film and i love that movie and it has 2 endngs that were consecutively played (that's what Tao and Kris is fighting over). Anyway, here's a short first chapter. Let me finish the 3rd chapter of "Daily Lives of College Boys" first.

And. Yes. They're fluffy okay? hahaha. Comments are love.

 

Thanks to the subscribers too, who subscribed even before the first chapter came out!

I love you guys!