12. Realization

It's Me!

“Something good happened yesterday?”  Soyul was finishing off the draping for one of the dresses, she looked at Yeongji from the side with observing eyes.

 

Yeongji looked up from her own mannequin, she was currently doing the elaborate neckline of a top, “Why?”

 

The other girl shrugged, moving her attention back to the clothing, “You seem to be on a chipper mood this morning”

 

“Got a good night’s sleep, I guess” although she knew that it wasn’t the real reason. On some level, she was still elated with his answer last night, he had agreed to come to the showcase party as her date. Though she tried to rake her brain as to why it was giving off an unexplainable feeling to her, she still couldn’t find what it was. She knew they were just friends but every time she sees him or just even talk to him, it gave off that tingling feeling inside, something she haven’t felt before.

 

She smile inwardly, remembering last night’s conversation, “Soyul, can you help me with my dress?” she asked looking up. Soyul stitched the last of the draping and turned her attention towards her, “For the showcase event?”

 

Yeongji nodded with a smile, “I need something that will match well with a guy’s suit” she added thoughtfully and as Soyul walked towards the work table she smirked playfully, “I get it now”

 

“Get what?” she blinked, following suit and seating herself on one of the chairs, the top she was designing abandoned momentarily on the side.

 

“You got a date for the event” she pointed knowingly, pencil already at hand and sketchbook in place.

 

Yeongji turned a shade of pink brighter at this. Soyul smiled at her in amusement and pushed on, “Anyway, do you have any color schemes in mind?” Soyul was one of the sought after designers when it came to awards nights and evening events, elaborate gowns and handsome suits were her forte.

 

She grinned sheepishly, “Haven’t thought of anything yet” and Soyul only shook her head with a smile. “Mian, I have plenty of things at hand, I haven’t really thought of what to wear yet” she confessed and the other girl replied with a “That’s fine, I’ll take care of it” and with emphasis on her hands she added “I’ll make you guys dazzling!”

 

As usual, Soyul always had her special way of emphasizing things and Yeongji couldn’t hold back her laugh. “Joongki’s your date, right?” she asked and Yeongji stopped abruptly. Obviously, to the people closer to them, the two looked inseparable. Some were even convinced that they’re secretly dating, of course, it was not proven seeing that they weren’t revealing anything, always claiming that they were simply the best of friends.

 

“Actually it’s Niel of Teen Top” she answered and the other girl replied with an “Oh” not knowing how else to respond. She was one of those people who always insisted that the two should just go ahead and date. Soyul was convinced that they looked great together but Yeongji always denied it saying that Joongki was her best friend.

 

Soyul let go of the subject and continued with the task at hand. It took them at least an hour to come up with the first draft and by the time they got to the fabrics and materials to be used Yeongji let out a yawn.

 

“We’re probably going to pull up an all-nighter for this” Soyul said as she stood up momentarily to stretch out her arms feeling that she had been sitting for quite some time now.

 

“I’ll go grab some coffee then, you want some?” Yeongji said with a smile as she made her way to her bag to grab her wallet and phone.

 

“Iced Macchiato for me” Soyul answered with a grin, “Oh, and buy some food too” she added thoughtfully.

 

“Alright, will do, I’ll be back in a few” Yeongji waved and headed out of the office.

 

Yeongji made her way towards the coffee shop just around the corner from their office building, it had always been a convenient spot for her as she loved coffee.

 

“Park Yeongji?” she froze, stopping midway at the café’s threshold upon hearing a familiar voice she had never heard for a long time.

 

She turned around, the woman who called her name gave a look of mild surprise. “It really is you” she crossed her arms, her demeanour gave off an unfriendly gesture.

 

“Wow! You look awfully different now” she said with sarcasm and moved to taunt her even more. Yoon Minji had been the queenka of their high school, with her looks and connections, she had been very popular among the student body. Of course, this came with a snobbish personality and bullying tendencies, and Yeongji was one of those few who were at the receiving end.

 

At that point, Byunghun happened to be walking towards the direction of the coffee shop. His thoughts were focused on his phone at the moment. He had planned to drop by Yeongji’s office yet again and try to see if she was free for the evening. Once again, he couldn’t help himself, he always wanted to see her and it made him want her more with the fact that Niel was getting ahead of him.

 

Hearing the small commotion, he moved his attention away from his phone. He then noticed that it was Yeongji, but she wasn’t alone. He stopped from his tracks being already in earshot, the two seemed to be in deep conversation as they hadn’t even noticed his presence yet.

 

“I heard you got Teen Top to be the endorser of your new clothing line” the girl began, that voice seemed awfully familiar to Byunghun but he couldn’t match a face to it.

 

“Really, after all these years you’re still obsessed with Byunghun oppa?” by the mention of his name, he frowned, ‘Oppa? Do I know this girl?’ he thought in slight confusion. And what was this about being obsessed with him.

 

He watched as Yeongji’s face turned anxious, “I’m not obsessed with him” she denied, trying to keep her cool.

 

Byunghun looked at Yeongji, his eyes searching hers. He tried to rake his brain for answers. Ricky had been pestering him on whether he remembers anything about her and if he knew her. Hyuna had told him that Yeongji and he had been in the same year back in high school. That apprehension Yeongji always seemed to have when he tried to approach her or talk to her.

 

“Oh please!” the girl interjected, “You always followed him around in school thinking you two were friends and all” now she gave out a laugh, “Pathetic!”

 

Then something clicked, Byunghun stared at the girl talking to Yeongji, “Yoon Minji” and the two girls turned towards his direction. They both had expressions of pure shock plastered on their faces.

 

“O-oppa” she stuttered, not believing her eyes that Byunghun was standing right in front of her. Yeongji looked pained but she tried her best to hide it.

 

“What are you doing here?” he asked, his brows knitted together in slight irritation. He had never liked the girl, though she had always clung to him and his group, yet he didn’t put much thought to it before. Minji was popular then and Byunghun knew that popular kids needed to stick together.

 

Minji felt a bit taken aback by his sudden rudeness. “What are YOU doing here?” she threw back the question at him seeing that he had stood at Yeongji’s side. Yeongji turned to him, suddenly curious as well.

 

“To see her, of course” he answered simply with a nod at Yeongji’s direction. “What?” Minji felt that her ears were deceiving her, “Do you even know---?” but before she could finish, Byunghun cut her to it not wanting to hear any more from her.

 

“Ara!” he answered, closing his eyes momentarily in annoyance and with this Yeongji’s eyes widen in surprise as she looked up at him. “Now if you’ll excuse us, I still need to discuss something with Yeongji, you’ve taken too much of my time already” he brushed her off and Minji glared at him with a hint of bitterness.

 

“This isn’t over” she stated with irritation feeling defeated, she backed up and left the two.

 

---

 

TBC