F I N A L E

White Rose

 

“There you go. Now you can cook rice again.”

 

She smiled up at her neighbour who was looking back at her with profound happiness etched in both of his eyes.  Minsoo beamed at her and said, “I could actually give you a hug right now. Thanks Chorong.”

 

She grinned. “No problem. Glad to help. Cooking for anyone special?”

 

Minsoo shook his head as he gestured for her to go on ahead, while he followed closely behind as they make their way out of the miniature kitchen.

 

“Three years of us being neighbours – have you ever seen me bringing home a girl?”

 

Chorong laughed lightly. “I can never be too sure.”

 

Her eyes wandered around his sparsely decorated living room subconsciously, until her gaze fell upon a single stalk of white rose – placed next to a black rimmed photo frame.

 

“I’m pretty sure you’re not planning to give another man a white rose.”

 

Minsoo went silent. For a moment, she thought she might have said something which offended him, but before she could say anything else – he spoke up quietly from behind her.

 

“Do you like white roses, Chorong?”

 

 

<< >>

 

 

“Bang Minsoo, younger brother of Bang Yongguk – a.k.a our triad leader.” Woohyun read off the information from his phone to Minhyuk who was sitting behind the wheel. “They are not legally registered as family, because apparently when Minsoo was born, he was sent off to another family and the two never meet each other – until very recently.”

 

“When did they meet exactly?” Minhyuk asked as he stepped on the accelerator, passing the red lights. Drastic times call for drastic measures.

 

“Yongguk’s right-hand man did say that he went out alone to meet someone on the 12th of May, three weeks before we capture him – and that he was being mysterious about the meeting. Bet it’s Minsoo he met that night?”

 

“Chances are the siblings have just reunited,” Minhyuk said grimly. “And Minsoo – being the younger one, feels enraged to have that glimmer of hope taken away from him just when he’s about to have a fresh start.”

 

Woohyun got quiet. From the driver’s seat, Minhyuk eyed him concernedly and noticed how hard he was clenching his two fists and how white his knuckles had become.

 

“It’ll be fine, Woohyun,” he tried to appease his partner, even though he wasn’t convinced himself. “Chorong will be fine.”

 

“That guy has been our neighbour for three years, Minhyuk. And he is such a nice guy. I can’t...and I don’t want to believe he has anything to do with this. I don’t want to believe he’d actually hurt her.”

 

“Blood-ties overcome everything else. We’d do anything for our family – and for some, they’d even kill.”

 

Woohyun let out another distressed sigh. “I won’t forgive myself if anything should happen to Chorong.”

 

That is how I feel, Minhyuk wanted to say but instead he kept it to himself. What Woohyun needed was assurance, not more guilt.

 

“Chorong will be fine,” he repeated and glanced to his side briefly. “You know why?”

 

“How do you know?”

 

Minhyuk shifted his gaze back to the road ahead of them.

 

“Because she has Joohee.”

 

 

<< >>

 

 

“White rose represents everlasting love – love stronger than death...a love which is undying.” Minsoo took another step closer and within a second, he was already by her side. “The kind of love that is hard to attain...hard to come by.”

 

Chorong was aware of her sudden racing heart, and cautiously, she took a step back.

 

It was the way he was looking at her – how his two warm eyes had turn cold and black in a matter of seconds. How his friendly tone had changed to low and distant of a stranger’s voice.

 

Chorong doesn’t recognise this Minsoo who’s standing in front of her now – and she has no idea what triggered the transformation.

 

“I didn’t have that kind of love while I was growing up, Chorong...I never had the chance to feel it. Never had anyone who loves me that way...never had a real family...until – “

 

“Minsoo...” she breathed. “I should probably get going now – “

 

“You’re not going anywhere!” he bellowed, causing Chorong to flinch in surprise. “You’re such a fool! Don’t you already realise – the second you walked into my home, you had already sealed your fate.”

 

She was truly, genuinely scared out of her wits now.

 

“Minsoo...I don’t know what’s going on. If I’ve somehow offended you, I am terribly sorry about it but please – “

 

“No amount of apology can bring back the dead!”

 

At that very second, the lights in the room started to flicker one by one. Chorong froze in her position, and Minsoo took a look around warily.

 

Before he could even react, the large glass mirror on the wall behind them shattered into pieces with a loud, deafening crash.

 

Chorong ducked down instinctively, covering her head with her bare hands. The light bulbs followed soon after – one by one bursting and crashing onto the floor by themselves.

 

Strong, terrorising wind blew into the house; causing frames, vases, glasses and possibly everything else to be thrown across the hallway viciously.

 

She hadn’t realise he was holding a gun the entire time – but Minsoo started shooting aimlessly at nothing in sight, shouting for them to stop like a madman.

 

Chorong had a clue – but not until she saw Joohee with her own two eyes, did she believe that it was all her best friend’s doing. She saw her, Joohee, standing at the other end of the hallway, smiling mischievously at her while she turned everything else around them into a ruckus.

 

“I will kill you!” Minsoo roared with undeniable anger, the black piece already aimed at Chorong’s temple. His finger was wrapped around the trigger, just a second away from pulling it when the front door was suddenly kicked open.

 

“Police!” Woohyun’s familiar voice rang loud and clear for her to hear, and for a second, she actually believed everything was going to be okay – but almost immediately, her hope vanished when Minsoo yanked her up to her feet and locked his arm around her neck.

 

“Come closer and I’ll blow her head off!” he threatened as he pressed the muzzle against the side of her head roughly.

 

Chorong held her breath as she struggled in Minsoo’s grip. She tried to communicate with Woohyun silently through her eyes, but he totally look past her as he hardened his gaze on the armed guy.

 

Minhyuk was on the right side of Woohyun, pointing his own gun at the distraught man. He knew neither of them had a clear shot – at least not without risking Chorong’s life in the process.

 

Right then, Woohyun decided to take matters into his own hands.

 

Slowly, he bent down and placed his gun on the floor, by his foot. He held up his two hands high and carefully phrased his words, “We can do this the easy way, Minsoo. Nobody needs to get hurt.”

 

Minhyuk still stood his guard as back-up. He has to be ready, in case anything goes wrong.

 

“I know that you’re doing this for your brother. I know, Minsoo...I know how much you loved him – even though you barely knew him.”

 

“Shut up!” he spat. “You have no right to even talk about him! You murderer!”

 

“It doesn’t have to be this way.” Woohyun’s voice was still calm, despite the distinctive edge he was trying to conceal. “It’s me you’re after. Chorong is innocent...let her go.”

 

His lips curled into a small, mocking smirk. “No.”

 

And everything happened so fast. Both of them moving in synchronisation – Chorong, mustering all her strength and courage before elbowing Minsoo right in his gut, while Woohyun lunged his whole body forward and pushed Minsoo away from his the girl he loved.

 

Woohyun’s hand was quick to knock the gun out his grasp. He managed to throw a punch squarely on Minsoo’s jaw, before the latter retaliated by a punch of his own.

 

Chorong hurried over toward Minhyuk’s side.

 

“Get behind me!” he pushed her out of harm’s way as he tried to get a clear shot of Minsoo.

 

Chorong shut her eyes closed tightly. She was afraid – terrified of what she might see.

 

She just wanted Woohyun to be fine. She just wanted him to be alright.

 

All of a sudden, a loud thunderous bang echoed in the room.

 

 

<< >>

 

 

[Chorong]

 

 

My eyes fluttered open slowly.

 

Woohyun was standing in front of me; beaten up and drenched in sweat but other than that – he was fine. He was completely fine as he managed a weak smile and whispered, “It’s over. Everything’s over now.”

 

Confused, but mostly relieved, I threw my arms around him tightly and said, “I was so scared...I t-thought he was going to – “

 

“Shh,” he said soothingly as he held me in his embrace. “Everything’s going to be alright now. You have nothing to fear.”

 

I inhaled the scent of his cologne deeply, thankful for the fact that it was all finally over now; with tears still running down my face. That I could finally sleep peacefully, walk down the streets freely without having to look over my shoulder cautiously...that we’re all able to get our lives back.

 

“Chorong...” Minhyuk’s voice interrupted our moment. For a second, I had almost forgotten about his presence.

 

I pulled away from Woohyun and looked over at him, eyes shining with happy tears. But instead of smiling back, Minhyuk’s face was ghastly pale and his voice sounded disturbingly strained as he said, “Woohyun...”

 

His eyes darted over toward where Minsoo’s body was now lying motionlessly. I followed his gaze slowly, and then the truth dawned upon me.

 

I felt my knees unbuckling and my two feet gave way underneath me as I collapsed to the floor.

 

Woohyun was lying next to him, in a pool of blood, next to a gleaming knife which had fallen off Minsoo’s hand.

 

“I’m sorry Chorong...” Minhyuk was saying. “I really tried to...”

 

I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. I couldn’t even move a muscle. I had just talked too Woohyun – I even held him in my arms. How is this possible?

 

But of course; I could see Joohee all these while. Of course I would be able to see Woohyun too, even if he’s not breathing any longer.

 

“No...No!” I cried out. “This can’t be true! Woohyun can’t be dead! He can’t...”

 

I felt somebody embracing me from behind – and I thought it was Minhyuk.

 

But then, Woohyun’s soothing voice filled my ears and that was all it took for me.

 

“Chorong...you’ll be fine. Minsoo’s gone now – he can’t harm you. You are safe.”

 

“But you are not here with me.”

 

“I am always with you, Chorong. Believe in that.”

 

“Woohyun...”

 

Another hand touched my shoulder tentatively. Joohee’s comforting face filled my view and I was ready to cry my heart out to her – but then I remembered she was dead too and that reminder was petrifying enough.

 

“You have to let him go, Chorong.”

 

I shook my head stubbornly. “No.”

 

“Just like you have to let me go.” Joohee was now standing by Minhyuk’s side, tenderly his cheek with a sad, parting smile etched on her beautiful, serene face.

 

“I love you, Joohee.”

 

“I know.”

 

“I love you so much.”

 

“You still have to let me go.”

 

His voice cracked. “I will.”

 

Woohyun was now crouching in front of me. “Rong, can you do that for me too?”

 

Please don’t go. You promised...you promised you won’t leave me.”

 

“Don’t make this harder for me.”

 

I was quiet for a moment.

 

“You will always be with me?”

 

He took my hand in his and smiled. “Always.”

 

“You can’t break this promise.”

 

“I won’t.”

 

I took in a deep breath.

 

“Goodbye, Woohyun.”

 

“This isn’t goodbye, Chorong.” He lifted my chin slightly and looked into my eyes. “This is just a temporary separation, until we meet again in heaven.”

 

He held my face in both of his hands and slowly pressed his lips against my forehead. His kiss lingered there for a few more seconds, and when I opened my eyes again – he wasn’t in front of me any longer.

 

“They are gone,” Minhyuk spoke. “Joohee and Woohyun are gone.”

 

This isn’t goodbye, Chorong, I replayed his words in my mind. This is just a temporary separation...

 

“...until we meet again in heaven,” I whispered.

 

 

 

 

- e n d -

 

 

 

 


"protect her, so she won't forget me" - this is from both Woohyun and Minhyuk's perspective;

Woohyun looking after Joohee in afterlife and Minhyuk taking care of Chorong for his buddy

It's my first time trying out this ghose-genre theme so pardon me for any mistakes :|

In all, I hope you've enjoyed reading White Rose and till we meet again in another fic of mine :))

Thank you ♥