0 0 5

White Rose

c h a p t e r f i v e

 

 

 

“I know! Why don’t we go to Iceland?”

 

“Seriously, Joohee? Iceland for a road-trip?”

 

“She’s a rich man’s daughter, have you guys forgotten?”

 

“Hey!” Almost instantly, Woohyun earned a loud smack on his arm. He let out a yelp, to which Joohee paid no notice as she shot him an indignant look and said, “You don’t even deserve to wince.”

 

“You had it coming,” Minhyuk added.

 

“You’re lucky she did just that,” Chorong piped up from next to him. “If it was me – “

 

“Aw Rong, come on...not you too? I’m not the one who have been throwing around ridiculous ideas for the past hour,” Woohyun defended himself, still rubbing on the sore spot Joohee had just hit him.

 

“I’m starting to think we should just head down to Jeju – we’re trying to save costs after all,” Minhyuk suggested, looking round the table at the other three faces. “What do you guys say?”

 

Woohyun rubbed his chin thoughtfully. “Well if its money you’re worried about, you know we can always count on – “ but his statement hung mid-air when he saw the sharp glare Joohee was giving him from the corner of his eye. “Yeah sure, Jeju sounds great.”

 

“I’m in!” Chorong agreed happily. “We can leave right after graduation.”

 

“Joohee?” Minhyuk turned to his girlfriend, who still hadn’t said anything. “Are you okay with it?”

 

“Sure,” she smiled warmly as she reached out for his hand. “I’ll go wherever you go.”

 

 

<< >>

 

 

That road-trip never happened.

 

Chorong sighed to herself as she put down the photo frame of the four of them together – taken on the last day of college. By the time graduation rolled around, they were each busy with their own lives. Minhyuk and Woohyun had already enlisted themselves in the police academy, Joohee was occupied with her part-time job and she, was caught up with her brother’s wedding.

 

The time they spent together got lesser, the distance between them grew longer – until eventually, they are all young adults with their own responsibilities to take care of.

 

Chorong guessed, in a way, Joohee’s death brought them back together – closer than ever. It saddens her, that they did not do something about their wavering friendship before it was all too late.

 

Perhaps, they could use this as a lesson learnt; to never take anything for granted, before you lose it for good.

 

She started to head for the kitchen, feeling thirsty all of a sudden – when the doorbell suddenly rang, halting her tracks.

 

Still feeling cautious about everything that’s happening, Chorong opened the door with a small creak; only to sigh in relief when she saw her next-door neighbour smiling sheepishly at her.

 

“Hey,” Minsoo greeted. One hand scratching the back of his head while the other was resting against her door frame. “Did I uh – am I bothering you?”

 

“No, not really,” she replied, opening the door slightly wider now. “What’s up?”

 

He grinned.

 

“I kind of need your help with something.”

 

 

<< >>

 

 

Minhyuk watched from the glass partition as his partner interrogated one of the triad members in the room. He saw how Woohyun’s fists were balled up on the table as he leaned forward, hoping to intimidate the burly guy. But the latter just smirked in response – leaving Woohyun fuming with rage as he pushed the table aside roughly.

 

Minhyuk knew that he should step in now; but just as he was about to do so, Joohee appeared by the door suddenly, taking him by complete surprise.

 

“You...” he breathed. “...have got to stop doing that.”

 

“Minhyuk, please...you have to listen to me.” Her eyes were frantic, as she shot a quick helpless glance toward the interrogation before turning back to look at him. “You have this all wrong.”

 

“Joohee...we’re trying to figure out – “

 

“This is not the man you’re supposed to be talking to right now!”

 

Minhyuk’s eyes widened. “What are you – “

 

“Chorong...she’s with...”

 

Just then, the door connecting to the interrogation room flew open and Woohyun stormed in angrily, hurling incoherent cusses.

 

“I know for a fact that he’s hiding something!” he spat, glaring at their suspect through the glass partition. “He’s just being so difficult – “

 

“Woohyun,” Minhyuk interrupted him gently. “Joohee’s here.”

 

The former appeared confused for a moment, but then he remembered and his expression changed. “Is everything okay?”

 

“She was just about to tell me – “

 

“There’s no time to waste, Minhyuk,” she intervened urgently. “Our friend is in danger.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Dude, what’s going on? What is she saying?” Woohyun demanded.

 

He didn’t think he has ever seen such fear in Joohee’s two eyes before. It was like she could actually see death approaching and for a second, Minhyuk wondered – was this how she looked like seconds before her life was taken away cruelly?

 

“Joohee...”

 

“Chorong...Chorong is with the man who killed me.”