0 0 4

White Rose

c h a p t e r f o u r

 

 

[Woohyun]

 

“I’m not afraid of death. I’m not afraid of dying.”

 

His voice was steady and his expression was deadly calm – despite just an hour away from being executed. I had decided to check in on him for one last time; the ruthless gang leader to ever rule the realms of Seoul underworld – one who was feared by many.

 

It took hours of my time, months of all the manpower involved in Seoul District Police to track down this man and capture him. Everyone worked hard day and night to put a stop to the illegal activities and killings this man and his groups of thugs were doing. As long as they are still active, nobody could lead a peaceful life.

 

Minhyuk and I were put in charge of this case – we worked our asses off finding evidences and victims that could help us pin down this man. One who has power and money, isn’t one who’s easy to bring down. We even lost a few men of our own when the police set up ambushes at the mob’s dealing places. Lives were sacrificed, families lost their loved ones – all because of this one, vicious, cold blooded criminal.

 

Every day, before I left for work, my reminder for Chorong would be the same; and that is to secure all three locks on the door – including our special pass code lock and to not open it for just any stranger. I set firm ground rules and that the only people who were allowed into our home were myself, Minhyuk and Joohee. I knew she probably felt suffocated during that particular period – but I had to protect her in all ways that I could, because losing her would be unimaginable.

 

But now that we’ve gotten him, we could all finally have some room to breathe in ease.

 

I gave him a small smirk. “Well, that’s good for you. It’s not like you have much choice anyway.”

 

He returned my smile coolly.

 

“But you know they’ll make you pay for it. You don’t bring any one of us down and get away with it scot free.

 

I neared my face closer to him, feeling his hot breath against my own skin. “Is that a threat?” I asked in a low voice.

 

He chuckled. “I wouldn’t worry about you.”

 

I stared at him for awhile more, before slowly taking a step back.

 

“But I sure wouldn’t want to be the person living with you – or your partner, for that matter.”

 

 

<< >>

 

 

I tossed and turned in my bed – and for the first time in many nights, I was the one wide awake while Chorong was fast asleep next to me. I couldn’t close my eyes, especially not after hearing what Joohee had to tell us. Her warning hadn’t fallen on deaf ears – I was truly afraid. Not for myself, but for the girl who was living with me.

 

I rolled over to my left side and propped myself up on one arm. Reaching out a hand, I started tracing the outline of Chorong’s sleeping face lightly, careful not to wake her up. I smiled to myself, thinking about how she had spent the last few nights sleepless because of Joohee’s unusual presence. I tried to imagine her spirit talking to Chorong as she tried to make the latter see the realness in her – when all that was left are supposedly only dust and memories.

 

Joohee...sweet bubbly Joohee who was the mood maker and vitamin of the group. Beautiful, caring Joohee whom Minhyuk introduced to us in the last year of our college days. Lively and kind Joohee who only saw the good in others – who was always willing to give anyone and everyone a second chance.

 

Good people deserves only the best; so why was Joohee given this fate?

 

Was it because she chose this life – to stay with Minhyuk even when she knew the risks and dangers that come with his job?

 

I studied Chorong’s beautiful, serene face in the darkness. Is this the fate that has been written down for her too? Will she end up like Joohee; getting killed for being with someone –

 

“Why are you not asleep yet?” she murmured, stirring up from her sleep and rubbing her two eyes sleepily. “What time is it?”

 

“It’s 3:30,” I replied with a smile. “Go back to sleep, Rong.”

 

Her arm naturally found its way around me as she snuggled up closer and buried her face into my chest. “Come join me...let’s share the same dream.”

 

I rested my chin on top of her head and chuckled softly. “What were you dreaming about?” I asked, her back delicately.

 

“Joohee,” she said simply. “We were planning for your 23rd birthday and she wanted to throw you a big party. Then we started arguing about what music to play. Apparently, she forgot whose boyfriend we were talking about.”

 

I laughed again. “I hate parties.”

 

“I know. That’s why I said – she forgot.”

 

I was quiet for a moment. “Do you think she’s eavesdropping on us right now?”

 

“Maybe.” She let out a loud yawn. “Most probably. I don’t care though – hey Joohee, your idea . As always.”

 

“Do you feel a little relieved now that you can see her again?”

 

This time, it was her turn to be silent.

 

“Chorong?” I nudged, thinking she had fallen back asleep. I pulled back slightly and noticed that her eyes were already closed - but then she started to speak, very quietly.

 

“I’m not ready to say goodbye again. I don’t think I ever will.”

 

“I can’t imagine the pain Minhyuk’s going through.”

 

She looked up at me suddenly. “Promise not to ever leave me, okay.”

 

She wasn’t asking, and it isn’t even something that is up for discussion. Simple as that.

 

I smiled and nodded. “Promise.”

 

And I promise I will always keep you safe.