0 0 1

White Rose

c h a p t e r o n e 

 

 

 

The second he stepped foot inside the dark and hollow apartment he called home – he knew. The moment he said “Hello” and no voice greeted out in response; no Joohee’s sweet-melodious voice singing out to him “I’m here!” – he already knew.

 

Deep inside the pit of his stomach, in the littlest corner of his heart, he knew right at there and then he had already lost her. The worst part was that, as Minhyuk slowly drew his gun out of his holster, he still wanted to save her even though he knew there was nothing that could be done – no one that could be saved.

 

Joohee...” still, he croaked out, edging quietly toward the room that they shared. “Joohee...answer me please

 

But he had barely taken another step forward, when he suddenly collapsed to the floor, shoulders jerking uncontrollably as he tried to shut out the scene before him.

 

Minhyuk is not one to cry easily – but right at that moment, he cried his hardest.

 

Song Joohee; the love of his life, the sunshine of his world, the epitome of his existence had been clutching on to the locket which contained a picture of them together – during the last few seconds of her life.

 

 

 

<< >>

 

 

Chorong stirred from her deep slumber and turned over to her right side, only to realise that it was merely just 2:30am. She let out a small sigh and sat up straighter in her position, careful not to disturb the sleeping person next to her.

 

It had been going on for a few nights. She would fall asleep really quickly due to the fatigue, only to be awakened for no apparent reason at the exact same timing every single night – 2:30am.

 

Usually, she’d toss and turn until she’ll drift off to sleep again, but this time – something felt peculiarly off.

 

Chorong glanced down at the knocked out Woohyun next to her, snores escaping his slightly parted lips as he remained oblivious to whatever that was going on around him. She hadn’t told him a thing about her restless nights and do not have any intentions of saying anything. Woohyun has enough on his mind these days – he doesn’t need her to add another worry to his plate.

 

She bent down slowly and placed a soft kiss on the top of his head, before lying back down again. But just before she could close her eyes and force herself to sleep – she heard a rustling sound coming from the only open window.

 

Chorong looked over her shoulder lazily, and almost immediately she could feel her heart stopping and her mind freezing. She couldn’t move – she couldn’t even blink her eyes to ensure that she wasn’t seeing things.

 

 She has never been truly afraid of ghosts, or at least she just chooses not to believe in them to make things relatively easier – but how does she explains her supposed dead friend standing by the window still, smiling (not in a frightening way) but more of a lonely, sad beautiful smile.

 

“Chorong...”

 

“Joohee...” she breathed out, unable to comprehend exactly what was happening. She thought she was dreaming; because that was the only logical explanation she could come up with but at the same time, it feels so real – to see her friend standing there, just a few feet away from her, looking perfectly fine and healthy.

 

“Chorong...” this time, her voice shook with much urgency, unlike her earlier wistful, delicate tone. It sent warning messages to her brain, kicking her senses alive – as though her life depended on whatever Joohee was about to say next.

 

“You are in danger.”