The Call

Drabble: Separation

The beep from the alarm clock brought you back to your senses. You took a glance at the direction of the clock and sighed when you saw the time. It was time for you to wake up and prepare yourself for work. Shaking your head lightly, you turned around and looked at the sight in front of you. The room was messy and frankly, ever since that day, you had been lazy to organise yourself. It was like a part of you had gone and left you with no spirit to live normally.

It was not the fact that you was left alone, but the thought of him not contacting you was killing you. For the first few months, you consoled your heart thinking that he was too busy. You kept your hopes high, thinking he did never forget you. But, people grew tired and so were you.

Moving on was indeed a hard task, especially when all around you reminded you of that particular person. You did not have to look far for clues of him living comfortable in the glamour world. You could just surf the internet and thousands of articles were referring to him. Daily newspapers would even put his picture in the entertainment section. It was a torture, and you found it hard to move on.

Grabbing today’s newspaper, you skimmed through all the news just to update yourself with the current issues, until an article swept you from the present to the past memories. It was a beautiful memory, it was also bitter. And thus you concluded, he wayour bittersweet memory.


A vibration was all it needed to bring you back to the real world. You jumped and tried to look for the source of the vibration but failed. You cursed yourself, regretting for putting the phone on silent. Not giving up, you took the pillow that you used to rest your arm on earlier and saw your phone was blinking and vibrating non-stop. Someone was calling you. It was not a weird occurrence for someone to call you, but thinking that the caller was using a private number made your heart beat fast. You had an instinct it was not a normal call.


Without thinking twice, you quickly touched the screen of your smartphone, and placed the phone on your ear.
"Hello?" You was greeted with silence. Feeling upset, you puffed your cheeks. Slightly raising your voice, you spoke again with an annoyed tone.


"Hello? Anybody there? Are you going to talk? If not I'm going to-"

"Heemin-ah......"
That voice.

It sounded so foreign yet so close to your ear. It felt like you had listened to that voice before, talking to you, singing to you, nagging you, whispered sweet nothings to you.

"...... Lu?"