Twelve

The Guardian's Tale

"DAESUNG!" Hayi squealed when she saw the familiar blonde walk through the door. Hurling herself at him, she embraced him warmly, pulling away when she caught a whiff of something unpleasant.

 

"Yeah... I forgot to mention I got sprayed by a skunk on my way here..." he chuckled, rubbing the back of his neck. Apparently, Dara smelled it too and ushered him outside where a bath and a hard stick of soap were waiting for him. The smell persisted even after Daesung was garbed in Jiyong's clothes, and Dara had to resort to using her favourite lavender oil to cover up the stench.

 

Zelo was curled up by the fireplace, his nose scrunching every now and then. Jiyong was right in the exact same fetal position, both their heads glinting with melting hoarfrost.

 

An hour after their departure, a nasty blizzard had overcome the town from the middle of nowhere. People had tried to go outside to make sure their eyes weren't deceiving them; who had ever heard of snow in spring? The entire town was buried with a blanket of snow. Come morning, they had to bang furiously on the windows to open the shutters atleast an inch. 

 

Zelo and Jiyong returned a little before noon, their teeth chattering and their cloaks frozen solid. The cold had caused Zelo's nose to turn an alarming shade of red while his fingers were already starting to blacken from frostbite.

 

Dara and Hayi had had worked almost all day yesterday in order to warm them up. Jiyong had warmed up quite quickly while Zelo was swaddled in blanket after blanket of wool. A few hours by the fireplace with hot tankards of ginger ale had done the trick, making Zelo pass out from drunkenness. He was still unconscious, lying in the same position for over 8 hours.

 

Until he woke up, though, Hayi kept herself occupied by talking to Daesung, who was, now, more than willing to tell her anything she asked. She left out his near-death encounter out of courtesy.

 

"I don't really know why Hyunsuk is gone. Maybe he had family problems or something," he guessed, shrugging. His tankard of ale was left untouched, the mulled liquid going lukewarm. "I did go to his residence, though. It didn't look like he left in a hurry," he explained, setting Hayi's doubts to rest.

 

That was the last time they spoke that night; Zelo woke up a few minutes later, lurching to his feet a bit too fast. Dizziness clouded his balance and he almost collapsed on the floor had it not been for Hayi.

 

Soon enough, Zelo was lying down again, only his time, his head was being cradled by Hayi. Her slender fingers his hair softly, the soothing effect making him fall asleep again. The throbbing in his headhad ebbed away, much to his relief.

 

"Hello there, stranger," she mused when she caught him staring at her. He smiled softly, wrapping his arms around her small frame, his body enveloped in her warmth. Before he could say anything back, Miho was onto them. Her hands splayed against Zelo's cheeks, she stared at him in wonder before resorting to pull his hair, much to Zelo's irritation.

 

"Miho! You don't do that to guests!" Dara scolded, agthering her daughter in her arms. She just stared back into her mother's eyes, before hiding her face in the crook of Dara's neck. Shooting Zelo an apologetic look, Dara took her into the nursery.

 

"I don't think she likes me," Zelo chuckled, wincing when Hayi rubbed the sore spot on his scalp. "She just doesn't know you, that's all," she replied.

 

"Did you see your belongings that I brought?" he asked, his eyebrows wriggling. When she shook her head, he climbed off her and brought his rucksack closer to her. Daesung took this as a cue to open it.

 

Her brush, her clothes, books, the necklace Zelo had given her a few years ago, a looking glass along with cloaks, gloves, fur-lined boots and Zelo's own clothes were what contained inside.

 

When she turned to see Zelo, she saw Daesung and him engaged in a serious discussion -- Zelo's face was lined with worry while Daesung's was sullen and drawn. She couldn't hear much other than the words protect and Taeyang. She had no idea who or what a Taeyang was and she wasn't going to go and interrupt their conversation now.

 

"We're leaving tomorrow afternoon," she heard Zelo say to Dara and Jiyong when she was reading Dracula. She also heard him thank the both of them for their hospitality and for not asking them any questions regarding their sudden arrival. The couple waved everything away and reminded the three of them that they were always welcome here right as they were about to head off.

 

They headed south of the village, watching the countryside dwindle into lush evergreen forests and dirt roads.The carriage that was transporting all three of them headed toward an abandoned farmhouse a few kilometers away, its red tiled roof holding up the heavy burden of freshly-fallen snow.

 

It was only when Daesung declared unceremoniously did they realize it was his house. 

 

Hayi looked up the two-storied building, its white-washed wood walls and brick-red roof suddenly more charming. The porch was redwood, and it seemed to look like it was gleaming in the twilight.

 

It seemed more homely and protected than the castle had ever been for her.

 

"So? What do you think?" Daesung asked when they were inside with hot mugs of tea in their hands. Zelo and Hayi looked at eacho ther before smiling at the blond.

 

"It's lovely."

 

"It's perfect."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i haven't touched this in more than a year. ; ______ ; 

i am so sorry.

in my defense, i had my o levels last year, and i just began my a levels in may, so it's been hectic. i'm so sorry for those of you who have been waiting patiently for this story to continue.

i've decided to quit asianfanfics after this fanfiction, so i promise i'll go out with a huge bang. don't worry so much, though. i have tons of chapters left for hilo.

comment and subscribe!

tumblr_ml90loZPNR1retmkzo1_500.gif