Before you begin

Writing Guide: Popular vs Good and Rants

First of all, ask yourself:

“Why am I writing?”

Then answer.

 

For example, I write because whenever I read stories, books, watch movies, I am left unsatisfied with one part or another. I want to create a story which is to my tastes and fulfills all of my cravings, so later I can come back to it and read it when I am in need of fluff or romcom but can’t find anything good to read. Of course, sometimes I find stories, written by others, I downright love but still, nothing wins that feeling of accomplishment when you have finished another story, when you have 500 pages on word, a beginning, middle and the ending.

I write because I enjoy writing, because I get million ideas I want to turn into stories. Only fraction of my ideas get written down and I think it’s sad but I don’t have so much time or energy to write down them all, sometimes I just think them, it’s like watching a movie in your head. Well, I have always been weird so…

Anyway, I write because I like writing, I write for myself. If other people enjoy reading my stories then that’s great, but primarily I write for myself and I want to develop my writing skills for my own sake and no one else's. Of course, I’d be lying if I said I totally don’t care about readers, subscriptions or comments. I do care, a lot. We all do and we want a lot of them. But frankly speaking, I really enjoy the writing process itself so even if I don’t get a lot of comments it’s fine with me (for a long time I wrote only for myself and didn't publish my stories anywhere). Of course, the more comments the happier I feel. Then again, if I get to choose between 2 long in depth comments or 20 short few word comments I'd rather take those 2.

 

Listen.

 

I don’t know why you decided to write something, but it really matters, that why there is important. For example, I have always been bad in math and I never understood why I should learn all those complicated formulas so I never bothered to become better in it.

If you force yourself you will never be good, there will be writer’s blocks and what not, your stories will lack soul and no one will read them. So what if you are not the best writer out there and not many people comment on your stories? As long as you develop aka you get something out from that hard work, that's all what matters. Just sayin'.

What’s the use to produce stories like a factory if you don’t develop? Sure, when I began writing my stories , my writing was just a mess but I have developed, not so long ago I started rewriting one of my old stories because I wanted to die when I read that old version. I was so proud of it back in the days, but now I am just ashamed, my eyes bleed when I read that . But I am also eager to rewrite it and make it better, I think it's fun.

So, you need a reason. If your reasons are “I want to be popular.” or “I want a lot of readers.” Sure, good luck but what’s in it for you? Writing takes time, precious time. You get a lot of readers but do you have pride in your works? What if your reason was: “I want to be a good writer.” 

 

Because you know, being good and being popular are actually two different things.

Think about that.