Rants about Rules

Writing Guide: Popular vs Good and Rants

Don't these come off kind of rude?

"Upvote our shop."

Short and straightforward, just like my answer: “Hell no!” I don't even know how to upvote and what if I don't like your poster after all?

"We only take XX re-do's"

Then why do you take them at all?

“Please use the trailer and only this trailer, I will check your story." 

I swear, this person is a complete stalker. Should I be scared? What's wrong with having two trailers if I put them both in the foreword?

"I Strictly advice my customers and to whoever is reading this that you are not allowed to request from another shop if you are having intentions to request a poster here"

But why? Who are you to restrict my freedom? Will you stalk me if I request at another shop later? Is it illegal to have two posters?! 

"Graphics are to be used in the minimum time of 2 months. Story with poster requested is not to be deleted until 2 months. Deleting of story earlier is immediately blacklisted."

What if I lose inspiration? Should I keep the story online just for your sake so people can see how wonderful your poster is? Am I posting my story just for your poster's sake or something? Is your poster more important than my story?! Hell no.

“If you are not satisfied with these rules then piss off”

Um okay, I haven’t said anything yet, you know. Why are you taking it out on me?!

 

 

This is something I have never understood.

Almost all review, graphic request shops and such have a list of rules. One of them being: "you must subscribe". They say the reason is because if you don't susbscribe you might lose that particular shop and never come back to claim your poster/review/whatever and that it's easier for you to see when your request has been fulfilled.

Lame excuse, or probably that's one of the reasons but what's with: "never unsubscribe"?! Wait a second, I smell greed. 

The biggest reason must be: they want to get a lot of subscribers (we all do), be popular, be featured, get a lot of karma points (not a bad idea actually, maybe they will have karma point giveaways and such). But still,: "don't unsubscribe or you will get on a blacklist". Was that a threat? And boo hoo, I got on someone’s blacklist so what?

 

Then there are "hidden" passwords in the rules to make sure everyone reads them all. Seriously, are those people like 5 years old kids? How utterly immature and childish! I think it's pretty rude towards people who request, like assuming you are some er who doesn't even care. Like seriously, hidden passwords?! FOR WHAT?!

I can understand such things as "don't steal our work" but credit back? The credits can be seen on the poster "poster made by XX". In the end it all comes back to "we want to be popular" It's some kind of disease on Internet.

Then regarding the reviews I think credit back is the most ridiculous rule of them all because the writer requests the review for himself/herself and not the readers. It should be constructive feedback on how to improve, why should readers see that? Besides many reviews contain spoilers.

Back in the days I used to be an avid manga reader, there were some groups who were really protective about their scanlations and requested people not to share them outside from forums and sometimes the forums were closed from bigger audience (then why do even bother to do all that hard work so that just some 100 people can see?). All because of copyright issues.

My question, do you really have to credit the scanlation group so whenever some lawyer gets a complaint he/she can easily track you down, find your website and send a threatening email? (isn't that stupid?!) Can't you just credit the people who worked on the project with their usernames (no name of the group or webpage) so it won't be easy to track you guys down? If you are translating something don't you want everyone to read it? No, it’s more important that everyone knows that YOU did it because YOU are so great. es.

Same on AFF now, why people why? How dare you be so shameless so openly? "Just because I made this poster you must use it for 1 month even if you don't like it, you must subscribe to me forever because I want to be featured" WTF? You think I don't want to be featured?

Of course, if I don't like rules then I shouldn't bother with this and just ignore but I think it's still unfair. Why should I subscribe for a lifetime? Just why? What's the reason, tell me about it openly, why did you guys come up with such rules? No one ever explained. Should I be forever grateful for a poster? Sure, thank you for making it for me, thanks, thank you so much oh my lord. Are you not happy to see I'm using it? Isn't that enough?

I saw this one trailer shop where one of the rules was to pay up karma points for trailers if you wanted to receive them faster. I checked out the trailers and wtf? They weren't even good...

That's why rules should be guidelines or recommendations, so people won't make complete s out of themselves.

Example: Would you please link back to our workshop, would you please credit us separately, would you please use our poster, we would appreciate if you subscribed. If people don't then they are s, when I request for something the first though is that OF COURSE I will credit them back since they made it for me. Be nice, for pete's sake. If you make awesome graphics people will come to you. I subscribed to a few graphic shops only because I thought their graphics were nice, never requested anything.

 

“NEVER UNSUBSCRIBE and we'll love you forever.”

Honestly, I don't give a . No one does.

In the end it's not the one who asks but the one who gives. It’s just that some people can’t make posters and they have to rely or these jerks with rules, which is unfair at the end of the day. It’s pretty arrogant to come up with these rules for vain reasons. And then, many of them don’t even link back to your story when they send out your poster. I think that’s inconsiderate, since you will be linking back to them!

But if you think about this in a positive way, if the shop you requested from gets featured, that means your story gets some more limelight too.

Graphic shops without rules:

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/426395/invisible-happymonkey-s-graphic-shop-w-o-rules-open-angst-graphics-poster-background-graphicshop-graphicandposter-chapterposter

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/390742

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/261522/whatever-a-graphic-poster-shop-without-rules-closed-poster-request-shinee-background-graphicshop-chapterposter