Chapter One

The Sound of the Old Train

 

I stood near the railroad tracks; everything was quiet and wet - seems like it was raining yesterday. Unanticipatedly, a loud, ear-bursting, rusty noise was heard from the distance. Turning my head toward the direction of the racket, I saw a bright, white light that hurt my eyes. The closer the set of carriages came, the chugga-chugga sound grew louder making my ears ache. Seconds later, the train let out an annoyingly high-pitched sound of its horn. I watched through the frameless, open windows as it slowed down with a clenching loudness. I pushed the palm of my hand hard against my ears, closed my eyes and kept rocking myself. When my eyelids slowly reopened, I caught a glimpse of something dark and mysterious which took my mind away from everything. As my head moved from left to right involuntarily, the train came to a stop. With the luggage in my hands, I boarded the train. My arms swayed, simultaneously, back and forth, as my stilt-like legs seemed to be carrying me from point A to point B; mechanically in motion one leg forward as the other tried, rhythmically, to catch up through the dusty half-painted corridors. On the urge of going back to my grandparents’ place, my feet made a one hundred and eighty degree turn. My whole body was ready to take its leave until my pupils set on a flawlessly breath-taking face - masked with such distress whilst looking out the window. My eyes sought for the door number. Wondering, if it was the same; hoping it will be the same. It was room 101. My room. My hands quickly reached for the handle. Opening the door, I felt a despairing aura take me in. I tip-toed to place my bags up on the bunk above my seat, then sat down opposite him and decided to observe the greenery.

From the corner of my eyes, I saw some movement. A feeling, of a pair of eyes piercing into me, rushed into my veins. As my head turned towards him, my eyes widened. I sat there staring intensely at his other half. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be scared or amused because the sound of the train was playing through my heart. I glared into his melancholy dark brown eyes before shrinking my expanded ones and closing my mouth. He pulled on a weak smile which made my heart play a slow sorrow beat.

"Ah, I see you didn't expect to see my other half." His head began to sink into his thick long scarf, trying to hide it, as the low and rough tone of his voice vibrated my ear drums.

"How?" The words didn't come out as well as I imagined. It was worse than a whisper. For a second, I forgot my weakness. My large eyes, than, locked with his shadowed, distant ones. He heard me. He heard the word that came out as, no less than, air.

His pupils moved from left to right as it explored my expressionless face. "Is it that ghastly?” His voice was just like before. Seeing my inability to talk, he began to explain.

I didn't take much in. His face was just too haunting. I was traumatized to see one half look so perfect and the other look so repulsive. His cheeks were wrinkled; the folds were close and hanging down. White and light brown patches covered his face. It looked like two different people.

"Why don't you say much? Are you still in shock?" He asked, flatly. He held a straight, careless face as his eyes tried to read my face, again.

I smiled – that question. I pressed my index finger between my collar bones then shook my hand before touching the corner of my lips.

The boy tilted his head and shrank his eyes, trying to figure out what I just signalled. His eyes then widened, far from his normal size. "You can't talk, can you?" He breathed out.

If he hadn’t spoken before, I would’ve labelled him what people label me. I pushed the thought to the back of my head and pulled on an uncertain smile before putting my thumb up. Neither of us said anything so we just let the sound of the old train bounced through the walls and into our ear. Chugga-chugga... it felt as if the train had a heart of its own.

"Where are you coming from?" He started, again, as his eyes wandered up to my luggage.

He probably wouldn't understand if I told him using gestures so I took my notebook out from the small dark brown side bag and began to write. I've just come from my grandparent's house. I went there for the summer. What about you? I looked up just in time to see his face darken.

"Oh, that must have been fun. I just came from visiting my parents." He forced on a smile, which seemed so distant. He began to play with his thumps again.

Why don't you live with your parents? I wrote in my rushed handwriting as curiosity got the best of me.

"They are dead, so I live with my grandma." He didn't return my stare but I knew he felt it.

I'm sorry. He must feel as lonely as I do... I sat back, sinking into the train seat as a frown began to form on my face.

"Don't be. It isn't your fault." His head was buried into his scarf again.

I didn't know how to continue so remained quiet. Thick layers of silence filled the air as I sneaked peeks at the boy. He wore a big black thick coat which all most covered his red and white checked shirt, which went well with his dark blue jeans.

The train came to an abrupt stop. It made that clinching sound again, which made me cover my ears. I took my bags and waved bye with a smile, which he returned. After jumping off, I saw my parents waiting there with a fictitious, wide grin. I ran towards them with open arms and stayed in their embrace for a while.

"How was your summer, Sungjong?" Mum asked. Her tone defined something far from curiosity.

I tapped around my bag for a notebook. Oh man, I left it on the train. I placed my palm on my head and frowned. Thank god I didn't write anything stupid in it. I looked around my bag for my other book. I took it out and began to scribble down the words, It was fun. I passed the book over to her. She turned around and smiled as she handed it back.

"We found the perfect high school for you. We did the admissions over the holiday. Aren't you excited? It's your first day in high school." She clapped her hands with excitement.

Her expression was hard to read. I couldn’t tell if it was fake, as always, or if it was coming from the bottom of her heart so I just stared at her with a hung face. Then wrote down, I didn't really care. I shrugged before plugging my headphones in, my mind filled with the boy's face. I flinched at the thought. It must've been hard to go to school like that. My teeth sank into the corner of my bottom lip and stare through the window. The town looked as stagnant as my life. In the twelve years I've lived, I had never seen a smile that was from the depth of anyone's heart. It seemed as if it was a curse; one shall not show the feeling of delight to this fine child. The curse of broken by him. His smile moved my heart a little. Chugga-chugga... Was it possible to have a heartbeat of such? That's how my heart started beating when I first saw him. My lips curled into an upside down frown. As I replayed his expression of friendliness in my mind, I realized he had a dimple. I wonder if I had one.

I lay in bed that night with my phone in my hand. I was standing at the station near my grandparent's place when I felt the slight vibration of the railway tracks. I stood there, staring at the rocks jump up and down then a bright light shone from the distant...

After writing all my feelings down, I looked around my room. Everything was left unchanged. The walls remained the same shade of grey. The bed was in front the dark brown study table, which was an equal distance away from the door as the brown wardrobe with a mirror attached to one of its doors. My eyes, unknowingly, wandered up to the clock, which was just above the white door. Two minutes past eleven. The tiredness of the journey started kicking in.

The sound of the alarm clock left me in a zombie state. After changing into my new school uniform, which was black, my parents drove me to the train station and gave me the address. They said I had to get off after two stops. Nodded, in response, I dragged my legs onto the train and sat in room 101 again. I plugged my headphones in and gazed out of the glassless window. As warm air surrounded me, my eyes became heavier.

The train came to a stop waking my internal-self up. One more stop to go. The sound of the door opening made my external-self up. My eyes locked with that boy’s, who was standing there, with the black trousers, which went with his blazer. Under that, he wore a white shirt with a plain, black tie. The logo on his blazer was the same logo I had on mine. I looked from my uniform to his.

“I guess we go to the same school,” he said confirming my confusion. He took his seat and looked through his big, light brown side bag. He handed me a black book, which looked very much like my notebook. I flipped through it to confirm that it was.

You had it? The astonishment in my voice clearly showed as I examined his face.

“Yea, I saw it, and I thought of giving it to you when I would see you next. I wouldn’t have stolen it,” he reassured, misunderstanding.

I couldn’t be bothered to explain do I simply nodded and wrote, Thanks.

“It’s cool,” he shrugged before sitting down.

I sat there – in silence - as the summer air danced through the train and into my hair. I didn’t know why but I had the urge to look at his burn.

“Oh, I forgot to ask. What’s your name?” He spoke.

I blinked before shifting my eyes, from his face, to his dark brown ones. Ah, it’s Sungjong. What is yours?

"Myungsoo," he said and my eyes back to his face.

“I can’t really tell. Are you fascinated or disgusted?” He pointed at his face.

I looked down as a guilty feeling rushed into my heart; as if I was caught doing something illegal. Um, to tell the truth, I’m actually fascinated. I’ve never seen such an image.  I’m sorry for making you feel uncomfortable.

“It’s ok. I’ve gotten used to having people stare at me.” He looked down making me feel even sadder.

The next stop wasn’t far. It was only a few minutes away. We got off and walked towards an open road.

“Do you know the way?”

I shook my head. I had my parents’ instructions, but I didn’t understand it.

“I do, follow me,” he grinned. I returned it and obediently followed.

We reached there in no time. We walked in through the reception and introduced ourselves to the head teacher, who took us to our homeroom.

We aren’t in the same homeroom so I will see you later.

“Bye.”

I walked into my homeroom and bowed at the teacher. Annyeonghaseyo, Sungjong-mida. I’m can't talk so I will have to write the answers to the question you ask in class in this book. Please take care of me.

“Oh.” The teacher stared at me as if she wasn’t aware of this fact. “Um, I’m Miss, um,” she struggled to continue.

You’re Miss. Kwon? I smiled, understanding her shock.

She gave me a warm smile and told me to sit at the front.

Could I have the window seat? I always wanted a window seat through my high school years.

“Sure,” she nodded.

I bowed and went off to take my place. I positioned myself in a way that makes me comfortable to daydream whilst looking out the window. I realized it was a warm day. The birds were chirping their hearts out. Music was everywhere; from the movement of the trees to the distant sound of the train’s whistle. I caught onto something that seemed off; I blinked, trying to clear my vision. Am I seeing right? I leaned closer to the window to confirm that a bird was sitting there alone on a trunk of the tree.

I got up and walked towards Miss. Kwon, who was sitting behind her desk with her glasses on. She put it down to the bridge of her nose and looked up.

I would like to be excused for a while. I think I got something I can be inspired by for Art.

“Art? Isn’t this your first lesson?” She whispered so she doesn’t distract the other hardworking students.

Yes, but don’t I have Art next? I will only take a second.

“Ok. You have to be back in five minutes,” she warned.

I nodded, eagerly. I ran down the stairs and out to the cherry blossom tree. The bird was still there; trying to scream; trying to make a sound; trying be heard. It couldn’t... I picked some berries off the other bush and moved my palm closer to its beak. It began to peak it slowly than realized it wasn’t bad so quickened. It must’ve been really hungry. Nobody could hear it shout for hunger since it can’t speak. It can’t make friends. It can’t share its love with words. It’s so much like me. The bird flew away after finishing off the berries. I turned around and looked up at my classroom window. It seemed quiet. I scanned the other classrooms and stopped to lock my eyes with some that seemed so familiar. I wasn’t sure who it was. The window was too far away to see a perfect image of its face. I decided to look away and head back.

The teacher welcomed me with a smile and I took my seat, knowing I was a little late. I began to do some work that was assigned. I didn’t find it hard. It was, actually, quite easy.

“Guys, it’s time for break,” the teacher announced.

I glanced up at the clock to see it was, already, ten forty. How did the time go so fast? Don’t I usually get bored from doing work? I shook my head and grabbed my small side bag and ran to visit the tree again to see if the bird returned.

I stood there, looking up to see an empty cherry blossom tree with barely any pink flowers...

“What are you doing?”

I jumped at the sudden noise. I turned around to see Myungsoo. I took my notebook out and started writing.

Oh, I saw a bird here earlier so I looked to check if it returned.

“Oh, it was you,” he grinned.

I’m confused. I tilted my head.

“Um, I saw someone feeding a bird here earlier but I couldn’t see who it was,” he explained.

Oh. Ohhh, so you were the dude from the window.

Myungsoo laughed. His laughter seemed dusty and distant as if it has been locked up somewhere, unheard, for so long.

I just stared at the way his “other” half didn’t change whilst his perfect half showed a deep dimple. There was a big contrast between the two.

“Do you want to sit? My legs are hurting,” Myungsoo pouted.

I nodded. To tell the truth, my legs were hurting as well. The two of us sat under the tree. He didn’t say much so I plugged my headphones in and leaned against the rough bark.

I shut my eyelids and let the music flow through my ears.

I felt a light tap on my shoulder, after five minutes, and opened my eyes to see Myungsoo. I pulled my headphones off and blinked.

“It’s time to go,” he said.

I got up, brushed the dirt off my back and walked up the stairs beside Myungsoo. I turned to the page where the bye was already written and showed it.

“Bye,” he smiled.

As I walked into my classroom, A4 sized art books were handed out.

“Today, we are going to focus on the title page. You can draw anything you want,” she said with a wide smile.

I began to sketch out the bird I saw. I closed my eyes and the image of the bird appeared. It was small and white with black wings and beak.

The time skipped by, lunch was nearing. We were dismissed and I went to the school rooftop to see the view from up there. I grabbed my small side bag and began to climb the stairs. When I reached the top, I pushed the heavy doors, open and walked out to see a wide, flat, and hard ‘L’ shaped cube shaped pavement. The whole area was covered in a tall netted fence expect a small space on the left. I went by there and sat down, letting my legs hang down. I realized the view was great. The emersion of reddish-orange sunlight behind the trees seems to kissing the calm sky. The wetness of grass due to dew is evaporating gradually. The soothing breeze tickles the flowers as bees buzz around to greet the flower “a very good-afternoon.” Signs of winter clearly showed. The days were getting shorter.

“Sungjong-ssi?” a high pitched voice called.

I turned around to see who would use a formal term on me. It was a girl. I tilted my head wondering who she was.

“I’m Kyung Mi. A girl in your class,” she introduced with a bow.

I couldn’t recall the faces in my class.

“I wanted ask why Miss. Kwon let you off. I heard from my elder sister that she is evil but she let you go out the class and come in late.”

I just stood there; I had no idea how to approach this. I didn’t even know why Miss Kwon let me off.

“Well? Can’t you talk? Don’t you want to share the secret?” The girl’s tone went from cute to rude.

“He can’t talk so why don’t you just leave instead of using that tone on him.” I saw Myungsoo appear from behind the door.

The girl turned around. After seeing Myungsoo, she ran off.

I gave Myungsoo a warm, greeting smile.

“Is it just me or do I find you in places where I plan to visit?” Myungsoo asked.

I shrugged and wrote, it must be fate.

“It must be.”

Our laughter made the soundless rooftop come back to life. We took our seats against the fence and sat there in silence.

Can I ask you something? I wrote whilst looking at his “unique” side.

“Sure, what is it?”

How did you get your face damaged?

“Didn’t I already tell you?” He stared at me from the corner of his eyes; making me shiver.

You did? When? Sorry, I don’t listen much.

“I figured,” he said whilst shaking his head in disappointment.

Could you tell me? I will listen for sure this time.

He sighed. “I was nine and a person with a blindfold threw concentrated acid onto my face. I turned in time or it would’ve been all over my face,” he frowned.

Oh, it must’ve been difficult for you since then.

Before he could say anything more, the bell went off.

We got up and parted for our homeroom. As I walked in, I recognized the girl from earlier. She actually sits beside me.

“Guys, I have an announcement. The head teacher wants you to look at plants before you study them in Biology so we are going on a trip.” The class cheered with joy.

I didn’t understand what there was to cheer about this matter. Don’t they know how boring this trip might be?

The day passed by with me switching from dazing out the window, and thinking about how hard it must’ve been for Myungsoo, to doing some work.

“I need your parent’s permission for the trip tomorrow,” the teacher said as we walked out the door.

I remembered the route to the train station. Whilst waiting for the old train to arrive, I kicked some rocks on the floor.

The chugga-chugga sound brought me back to life. I turned around to see the black big train has finally arrived. I got on and took my seat in room 101. The train didn’t start immediately it waited for a while... I let the sweet music of rock entertain me while we waited. I saw a figure open the door from the corner of my eyes. I knew it was Myungsoo.

He smiled showing his deep dimple. The train began to move...

Do you have connections with the train driver? I wrote.

“Oh, he is my uncle. He has been riding this thing for a while now.”

I shook my head. I knew it.

“Why do you ask?” He seemed curious.

Ah, it seems to wait for you and when you get on, it starts.

Myungsoo laughed. That rusty tone was still present. I decided to shrug it off as the train came to a stop. Myungsoo said bye and got off.

I have a feeling the bird, Myungsoo and I are related. It seemed as if we all committed a sin in our past lives. Everything must be linked in some way or the other; being a creature, human, or animal doesn’t matter.

I lay in bed and the same thoughts tortured my mind. Myungsoo’s face is half ruined so making friends is difficult for him. The bird and I can’t talk so making friends is difficult for us as well. Then, coincidentally, we all meet? What does that mean? Chugga-chugga... was all I heard as my eyelids shut close...