.v.

New Student { REWRITING / EDITING / OFFICIALLY ON HIATUS }

Nervously, she waited. Her mother had already left with her friends to have a night out. Areum was dressed simply, wearing a simple pair of white jean shorts, a floral vintage-looking tank top and black All-Stars. She was staring at her reflection, wondering whether she should get changed into something different as there was a loud knock on the door. Areum jumped in surprise, before scolding herself for being so jumpy. She checked her reflection in the mirror one more time in the hallway mirror before rushing to open the door with a shy smile. Himchan stood with his back to the door, jumping as he heard the door creak, looking at her embarrassed. He wore a red and blue hat with a blue shirt and a pair of casual jeans. He held out a small bunch of daises with a sheepish smile and red cheeks. Areum blushed slightly, gingerly taking the flowers from him.

“How did you know these were my favourite?” She asked and he rubbed the back of his neck

“I asked your mother. She was more than happy to help.” He said and they both laughed.

“I’ll be right back.” She said and took the flowers inside, placing them in a vase with some water. She quickly returned and closed the front door behind her, locking it. “So where are we going?” Areum asked.

“Well, I was thinking of taking a walk down at the park. Unless you don’t want to. Which is totally fine with me. We could go somewhere else if you like.” He said quickly.

“No, no, the park’s fine.” She replied holding in her laughter. He relaxed and they began to walk.

There was still some daylight left when they started their walk. The pair passed some joggers and people walking their dogs. Breaking the silence, Himchan turned to her.

“So how’s Tatsmato?” He asked to fill the silence.

“Doing well. He loves lettuce. The other day I found him asleep on a carrot” She said, and he laughed. They walked past a small stall that sold handmade jewellery, and Areum stopped to admire it. Himchan looked at her slightly surprised, standing next to her as he began to look as well. The old couple on the other side looked at the pair with nostalgic smiles.

“Remember when we were like them?” The woman asked the man, and he nodded in agreement.

 “So young and full of love just like this couple.” He replied and the pair go red.

“N-no we aren’t a c-couple.” Himchan stuttered out.

“No w-we’re not.” Areum stuttered too. The couple smiled and gave each other knowing looks. The old lady picked up a pair of bracelets and held them out to Himchan.

“Take these and give one to your girlfriend.” He grew red but took them.

“Thank you ahjumma.” He took one of Areum’s hands and placed one of the bracelets around her, wrist then put on his own.

“Have a good night ahjumma and ahjussi.” Areum said and they smiled and waved as the pair walked off. The sun had begun to set by now, and it turned the sky a magnificent orange. Himchan shyly too her head and she smiled to herself as they walked the path. A cold breeze blew past them and she shivered. Noticing the movement straight away, Himchan slipped off his jacket and turned Areum to face him, wrapping it around her shoulders. Areum blushed deeply and thanked him. She didn’t get a change to finish her sentence as he grasped the collar of the jacket, using it to pull her forward as he pressed her lips against hers gently. Areum’s eyes fluttered closed and her arms wrapped around his neck. A few moments pass before he pulled back and smiled. She smiled back at him as he rest a hand at the back of her neck, leaning in to kiss her again. He paused when his fingers brushed along a scar at the base of her skull.

“What’s that?” He asked, and Areum took a step back.

“I-it’s nothing.” She replied, avoiding his alarmed gaze.

“Areum, please tell me.” She began to cry.

“I-I had a tumour. That’s why I have missed out on a lot of school. I had surgery and it made it better but there’s still a chance it could grow back.” She said quickly. He stepped forward and engulfed her in a hug. Areum cried into his chest as he began to soothe her. After a few minutes of crying, she stopped with a small choked sniffles. Himchan pulled back so he could see her face, and wiped away the stray tears with the pads of his fingers. He smiled a smile that was just so infectious she could help but smile a watery smile back. Turning, they watched as the sun began to dip below the horizion.

“I think we should get you home.” He said, but neither of them made to move as they savoured the precious moment. Finally, they both turned and walked to Areum’s house hand in hand. Reaching the stoop, he pulled her in for once last kiss just as her mother opened the door. Himchan jumped back, coughing as she stood there flushing. Her mother just smiled and turned to Areum.

“There’s a girl here to see you. You can bring your friend in with you.” She said as Areum glanced at Himchan. What girl would come to see her? She wasn’t exactly sociable with the other girls in school. The couple walked inside, holding hands as Areum led them into the lounge room, startled by the sigh of Kiara sitting on the couch with a cup of tea and a biscuit.

“Hey Areum!” She said brightly, but Areum just cut her off.

“What are you doing here?” She asked rather rudely, and her mother shot her a look. Areum shrugged in way of an apology and waited for an answer.

“I came to congratulate you on the good news. Your doctor is my father after all.” She said in a matter-of-fact tone. Areum nodded in thanks. “Well I must be going no time to chit-chat!” She said and got up, hugging her. “Leave them alone and I won’t tell them your little secret.” She whispered darkly in her ear and Areum froze. “Toodles!” She chirped and walked out the door. She stood frozen, and Himchan glared at Kiara as she walked out the door. He had heard what she had said, and assumed it was bout the tumour. Areum’s mother cleared .

“Well, young man, do you have time for a cup of tea?” She asked and Himchan shook his head.

“No, sorry ma’am. I have to be home soon. I’ll see you around.” He said, giving Areum a quick kiss on the cheek before leaving. The women heard the door close and Areum looked at her mother.

“So? What do you think?” Areum asked nervously. Her mother smiled.

“I think he’s perfect.” She replied and her daughter squealed, hugging her tightly. Her mother laughed. “Alright go to bed now. You have school tomorrow.” Areum nodded and kissed her good night. Walking up the stairs into her room, she fed Tatsmato and gazed at the flowers on her vanity, making her think of him. Areum’s phone buzzed with a text.

From: Himchan
Hey, don’t worry about the whole Kiara thing. We won’t think anything different of you. I had fun tonight I think we should do it again sometime.

An uneasy feeling twisted in her stomach. She knew that it wasn’t the secret Kiara was talking about, but Areum didn’t want to worry her so she played along.

To: Himchan
I wasn’t. I know you guys aren’t like. And I think we should definitely do it again soon.

Smiling, he read the final text as he fell asleep. Areum glanced at the flowers one last time, noticing she still had his jacket. Reaching out, she took it and pulled it beside her on the bed. It smelt just like him. She fell asleep clutching it in her hands, a peaceful look in her face.

a/n : rewrite 5/13 complete