.iii.

New Student { REWRITING / EDITING / OFFICIALLY ON HIATUS }

The boys all scrambled back to their places. Areum glanced at Jongup, hoping he would tell her something, but he just winked at her, causing her to blush. She looked at her almost empty lunch box and took out the dessert her mum made. Daehyun glanced at her, pausing when he saw the sweet.

“Is that cheesecake?” He asked, looking at her curiously. Areum slowly nodded her head. He quickly moved next to her, pushing Jongup to the side in the process. “Can I have some?” He asked her, looking at her with puppy dog eyes. She blushed darkly and offered it to him, slightly shocked when he placed his hand on hers. “I want you to feed it to me, please?” He said with a small pout. Easily overwhelmed by the cuteness, she cut off a portion with the side of the fork and held it out to him. Daehyun quickly took it off the end, finally silent as he ate. “Did your mother really make this?” He asked, and Areum nodded in reply. “It’s so good” He said, opening his mouth for some more. Daehyun glanced at Himchan; noticing how he was looking confused and infuriated.

“Hyung, at least let the noona eat some of her own food!” Junhong whined softly. Areum just smiled and shook her head as she fed Daehyun a bit more.

“It’s okay Junghong-ah~ My mother cooks something new almost every day: She said and Daehyun hurried to finish the bit in his mouth so he could speak.

“You mean you have more sweets at your house? Can I come home with you today?” He pleaded with her, the puppy dog eyes back in full force once he saw that Areum had hesitated to reply. Finally, Areum nodded her head. He smiled at her and hugged her tightly, making her squeak. Daehyun let go and moved back to this old spot in the circle, the food now all finished. Junhong looked at her, tilting his head.

“Can we come too?” He said, not even needing to use puppy dog eyes since she agreed straight away.

“Of course” Areum laughed a bit, not noticing the glare that Daehyun shot Zelo, who in turn stuck his tongue out and moved closer to her.

“So do you always squeak when someone hugs you?” He asked mischievously. She shook her head.

“N-no-“ She squeaked as he suddenly hugged her. He pulled away laughing and she blushed. Yongguk noticed and looked in his bag, taking out something and scooted closer so he was sitting on the other side of her.

“Since Daehyun ate your dessert” He smiled and handed her a cupcake.

“Thanks” Areum said with a small smile, taking it from him gratefully. She took a small bite, chewing slowly.

“You have some icing on your cheek” Yongguk said quietly and pointed to her cheek. Areum scrambled to grab a serviette and wiped at her cheek. He laughed a bit and shook his head. “Just wait, I’ll get it” She held out the serviette, expecting him to take it. Yongguk ignores this, and lean forward to press a gently kiss to her cheek, close to her lips. He lingers for a moment, then pulled away with a smile “All gone” He said, a wide smile on his face.

“U-Um, excuse me” Areum got up, blushing a bright red, and ran off in the direction of the toilets.

Yongguk watched her run off, before turning to the other boys. “I think I’m winning” He said with a grin, completely forgetting about Himchan not knowing about the little plan.

“Winning what?” He raised an eyebrow, impatiently waiting for an answer. Yongguk’s mouth gapes open and closed like a fish, before Daehyun jumped in with an answer.

“We’re trying to see who can make Areum blush the most” He explained.

“And I’m currently winning” Yongguk butted in, earning a glare from the rest.

“Well, dude, of course you are! Of course she would blush if you kiss her cheek! Man, that should be against the rules” Jongup said frustrated.

“I’m joining” Himchan said abruptly, blinking at them all. The boys gaze at him then shrug, explaining the prize. “I’m going to beat you all” He said, the thought of a date with Areum winning him over. A few of the boys rolled their eyes at his cockiness, before the go back to talking as they wait for Areum to return.

--------------------

Areum stood at the sink, splashing cold water onto her face in an attempt to cool down her blush. Her heart was still thumping in her chest after what Yongguk had done. Areum was a bit embarrassed, to say the least. She wasn’t used to boys paying attention to her, never mind calling her cute and kissing her cheek. It’s not that she wasn’t pretty; she just never drew attention to herself. Areum looked up into the mirror, and decided that she had been in there long enough to worry them. She left the bathroom, and saw all the boys standing up. Jongup smiled as she approached. You stood at the sink splashing cold water on your face to make you feel less hot. Your heart was still thumping in your chest after what Yongguk did. You were a bit embarrassed. You weren’t used to boys paying attention to you, never mind calling you cute and kissing your cheek. Looking into the mirror you decide that you have been in here long enough so you head out to see all the boys standing up. Yongguk smiled at her as she approached.

“I hope you don’t mind Areum, but I took a peek at your schedule. My next class is with you” He said happily, which she returned with a shy smile and a slight blush, the situation from earlier still fresh in her mind. “Cool, should we start heading off? The bells going to ring soon” Yongguk said, and grabbed both Areum’s and his own belongings.

“Ah- you don’t have to do that. I can carry my own things” Areum held out her arms to take them, before he shook his head at her.

“No no, it’s okay. I can carry it. Besides, it’s not like I’m not strong enough” Areum snuck a peek at his arms, and he was right. She could see his tense muscles through the blazer. Yongguk looked down at her, and caught her gaze with a cheeky grin.

“Like what you see?” She blushed, and rushed off to class with him as the bell rang.

--------------------

The rest of the day had passed peacefully, despite the dirty looks Kiara and her friends. Especially when Areum had shown up to her class after lunch with Yongguk carrying your stuff. Kiara looked like she was about to cry. Areum remembered what Kiara had said earlier and scurried to her seat, her head hanging down. Yongguk quickly followed after her, placing the belongings down on the table.

“What’s wrong?” He asked softly, placing a hand on the small of her back.

“Nothing. Nothing’s wrong. Why do you ask?” Areum replied, her eyes flicking over to Kiara before resting back on him. He caught the movement and looked back at Kiara.

“Bad blood between you two?” He asked, and she nodded quietly. Yongguk laughed loud enough for Kiara to look back curiously, just as he ruffled Areum’s hair and kissed her forehead. Both girls turn red in the face, but each for a different reason. “There. Now she’s jealous” He said with a smile. Areum forced a smile back, inside knowing that every time something like that happens Kiara was a step closer to spilling her secret. Her head throbbed in pain, and she gasped softly. Yongguk’s gaze shot to her, concern furrowing his brows.

“Y-yeah. I’m fine” She managed to get out. The teacher noticed Areum’s distress and came over.

“Areum, nurses offices, now” She nodded her head and hurried out of the room as Yongguk watched her concerned, wondering what was wrong. Areum passed Kiara, who sent a smirk and a sarcastic wave as she ran past. Areum ignored her and ran to the nurses office, where she ushered her into a room. Areum retched into a sickbag, feeling dizzy and distraught. She didn’t return for the rest of the class, making Yongguk very worried.

--------------------

“Hyung, where’s Areum noona?” Zelo asked Yongguk as they waited near the school gates.

Yongguk shrugged. “I dunno. During science she grabbed her head and the teacher sent her to see the nurse” He replied, and Himchan grew worried quickly.

“I hope she’s okay” Himchan muttered, looking up as Areum emerged from the main doors.

“Sorry to keep you waiting!” She said brightly, a smile on her face. Youngjae ran up to her, engulfing her small frame in a hug.

“Are you okay?” He asked worried, his hands on her face as he checked her for signs of stress or injury.

“I’m fine Youngjae, I just had a headache” She said gently, removing his hands from her face. Himchan immediately relaxed..

It was just a headache. He repeated in his head, over and over to assure himself that Areum wasn’t extremely ill.

“Should we start going then?” She asked them all, and the boys nodded their heads eagerly. Laughing, she grabbed Himchan’s and Zelo’s hands and started showing them the way home.

--------------------

“Do you always walk home? Even when it’s raining?” Jongup asked, peering curiously at Areum.

“Yeah. I have an umbrella and I don’t live that far from here.” She said happily, swings the boys hands with a small hum.

“That can’t be good for your health.” He said, concerned for her health.

“Oh well I can’t get any sicker than I am already can I?” She said then quickly shut . Himchan looked at her with a tiny frown.

“What did you say?” Himchan asked, and she quickly shook her your head.

“Nothing. Look we’re here!” She said and let go of their hands, running up the pathway as all the boys shared a look. Areum opened the front door and shouted out. ‘Umma! I’m home~” She said cheerfully, hanging up her blazer and scarf on the coat hooks beside the door.

“Mmmm something smells nice.” Daehyun said, following her in.

“Hey! I’m in the kitchen!” Her mother paused when she heard Daehyun’s voice. “Did you bring a friend home?” She asked.

“Friends” She corrected her, and showed the boys into the kitchen. Her mother turned around, slightly shocked from the sight of six boys following Areum through.

“Hello ma’am, I’m Yongguk, Areum’s friend. And this is Himchan, Jongup, Youngjae, Daehyun and Zelo” He said, offering her hand to Areum’s mother. She smiled at his manners, and shook his hand.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you all. Areummie never really has been the one to invite friends over.” Areum laughed, embarrassed.

“Well Daehyun practically begged me to let him come over.” Daehyun laughed as well, albeit sheepishly.

“Ma’am you make the best cheesecake I have ever tasted.” He said with a killer smile, and Areum’s mother smiled back

“Thank you. Areum, how about you take them up to your room and I’ll bring up some tea for you all.” Areum nodded her head.

“And some cheesecake?” Daehyun asked. Laughing, her mother agreed and Areum lead them all up the stairs to her bedroom. Opening the door she moved over to her pale purple curtains and opened them up, then opened the window.

“Welcome.” She said, turning around to see them sitting on the matching purple rug and a small black coffee table.

“I like your room, noona.” Zelo said.

“Thanks” She replied with a smile, and sat down between Jongup and Youngjae. Her mother soon arrived with tea and cheesecake. Daehyun jumped up to help her, placing down the tray on the table then kisses her cheek.

“Thank you ma’am!” He said brightly, and Areum’s mother smiled back before she headed back downstairs. “Your mum is the best.” He said, taking a slice of the cheesecake.

“Yeah. She definitely is.” Areum said, staring at the spot where she was standing.

a/n : rewrite 3/13 complete