.iv.

New Student { REWRITING / EDITING / OFFICIALLY ON HIATUS }

“Well I guess we will see you tomorrow?” Youngjae said as they began to leave Areum’s house after a long afternoon of chattering. She shook her head.

“No, not tomorrow. I have something important to do. It’s no big deal” She replied, shrugging a bit. The boys looked at Areum curiously, but asked no questions.

“Maybe Wednesday, then.” He said and she nodded in reply, indicating that it would be fine. Areum smiled and waved as they walked off. Her mother came and stood by her side, a gentle calloused hand placed on her shoulder.

“So you haven’t told them yet?” She asked Areum gently, and she shook her head.

“No. And I’m not going to tell them” She replied and her mother looked at her sympathetically and walked back inside. Glancing once more at the laughing boys Areum followed her in.

--------------------

She was sitting in the waiting room, waiting anxiously as she listened out for her name to be called. A few minutes later, a doctor comes out and states her name. Areum stood up and followed him into the office.

“Dr Kim? How is it going?” She asked as she sat down, her hands folded neatly in her lap.

“The good news is that it is getting better. The bad news, however, is that the headache that you had yesterday could be a sign of a relapse. Don’t panic, it’s only a five percent possibility” The doctor said hurriedly, noticing Areum becoming anxious. After a few more routine checks he sent Areum away with a smile. “Oh, and Areum?” She stopped in her tracks, turning to look at him. “Come once a month. Weekly doesn’t seem necessary anymore”

Happily, Areum smiled and waved as she left the office, immediately texting her mother with the good news. She wandered around for a few more hours at the mall, waiting for school to finish so she could maybe meet up with the boys. Her phone buzzed, and she pulled it out to check it.

From: Youngjae
Hey I was wondering if you wanted to go for ice cream after school.

She smiled at the text, biting her lip as she quickly typed out a reply.

To: Youngjae
Of course! See you after school! Try not to get hurt with those silly boys around!

--------------------

Youngjae laughed at the text he was sent, which caused the other boys to glance over at him.

“Who are you texting hyung?” Junhong asked, interested.

“Areum. I invited her to get ice cream with me after school.” He replied simply, looking at his phone. 

“Hold up hold up.” Everyone went quiet and looked at Yongguk. “One: Since when do you have her phone number? And two: you’re taking her for ice cream without us?” All the boys stared intently at Youngjae, who nodded in answer to the second question. “I got it yesterday after school while you guys were too busy fighting over the last piece of cheesecake.” He answered.

----------yesterday----------

Areum watched the scene in front of her intently. Daehyun was attempting to pin some of the boys to the ground while they fought over the last piece of cheesecake, half of which was already in his mouth. Youngjae sat away from the fray and beside her, glancing at her face as he brought up the courage to ask for her number.

“Hey, Areum, can we swap numbers?” Youngjae asked her, and she turned to him with a smile, pulling out her phone as she scooted closer.

“Of course we can!” She smiled as they swapped phones, filling out the numbers in the contacts. They finished and glanced up at the boys once a loud victory screech was heard. Daehyun had finished the cheesecake and held up a victory sign. The pair gave each other a look before laughing at the childishness.

----------present----------

She stood beside the ice cream stall, waiting for Youngjae to arrive.

“Are you waiting for your date, dear?” The lady at the stall asked and Areum shook her head smiling.

“No, aunty. I’m just waiting for my friend” She replied with a polite smile, letting out a soft squeal as her feet leave the ground, a pair of strong arms wrapping around her waist.

“I missed you today!” Youngjae exclaimed, and the lady running the stall raised an eyebrow at his antics.

“Youngjae, it was just for one day” Areum said with a soft laugh, as he rubbed the back of his head embarrassed.

“I know, I know. But I had to put up with the other boys! There was no one there to keep me sane!” He laughed, taking your hand as he turned to the lady. “Could I please have a scoop of chocolate? And what flavour do you want Areum?” He looked down at her with a smile.

Areum looked at all the flavours, chewing her lip as she decided. “May I please have a scoop of cookie dough?” She asked, and Youngjae took out his wallet and paid for it before she had a chance. The lady handed them their ice creams, and they walked over to a park bench to sit on as they enjoyed their treats in silence.

“Um. . .Areum? You have something on your cheek” Youngjae went to get it off, pausing as he made sure to show her the napkin in his hand. “Don’t worry, I’ll get it off in a civilised way, not like Yongguk” The pair shared a small laugh, and he gently wiped off the ice cream. A few minutes later, they’ve both finished their ice creams. Youngjae spared a glance at his phone.

“It’s getting a bit late. . .I’ll give you a ride home” He said and took her to his car, opening the door for her.

“You’re such a gentleman” She said with a small laugh, slipping in and buckling up her belt. He got in on the driver’s side and started the car, driving her home. Half an hour later, he pulled up out from the house and helped her out. “Thanks for the ice cream Youngjae” She smiled up at him, and he just smiled back with a small nod. Without warning, she stood on her tiptoes and pressed a small kiss to his cheek, making him blush red as she ran off into the house and waved. He waved back and got into his car, his cheeks blushing bright. He touched his cheek where Areum had kissed him, and smiled a bit as he drove off.

--------------------

“Did you see that? She kissed him!” Yongguk whispered harshly, and they all nodded in acknowledgement.

“Well I’m going to be kissed next.” Junhong concluded with a firm nod.

“Oh yeah? How can you be so sure?” Daehyun replied.

“Please. She can’t resist my cuteness. She will, I bet you.” Daehyun smiled at the sound of the threat.

“What are the stakes?” He asked and Junhong grinned.

“If she kisses me by this time tomorrow you have to buy me cherry tomatoes for the next three days.”

Daehyun nodded in response. “And if she doesn’t you have to buy me cheesecake for the next three days.” They shook on the bet as Jongup, Himchan and Yongguk watched the boys dumbfounded. “May the best man win.” They said in unison as everyone dispersed.

--------------------

Areum and her mother were celebrating the good news with chocolate cake and lemonade.

“I can’t wait until you are one hundred-percent better!” Her mother squealed excitedly. Areum smiled and nodded, hugging her tightly.

“Neither can I! I might be able to go to school for a whole term without having to having to have a day off every week to go see Dr Kim!” Areum said as she stifled a yawn. Her mother quickly shooed her off to bed, telling her that she needed to save her energy for school the next say. Areum knew it was pointless arguing and she just went up to her room. Looking out her window, she saw five boys that looked oddly like the boys. Shrugging, she blamed it on her tired brain and changed into her pyjamas, before climbing into her bed. She had just pulled up the blankets when her phone buzzed with a text.

From: Youngjae
I had fun today eating ice cream with you. We should do it again sometime.

Smiling to herself, she quickly replied.

To: Youngjae
Definitely. I had fun too. But I hate to say it but I’m just using you for the ice cream, haha

He laughed as he replied to her text

From: Youngjae
I feel so hurt 3
Just joking
See you tomorrow!

She fell asleep with a smile on her face, clutching her phone tightly in her hands.

--------------------

“Noona. Noona. It’s time to wake up!” A familiar voice said, and she opened her eyes to a boy’s face close to hers. She screamed, pulling her sheets up to cover her bunny pyjamas.

“Junhong! Get out!” He looked at her confused.

“But your mother said I could come up!” He replied, blinking innocently. Sighing, she climbed out of her bed and he smiled at the bunny shorts and the bunny with flowers on her pyjama top.

“Shut up and get out so I can get changed.” She grumbled and pushed him out the door. She could hear his laughter from inside her room. Areum grabbed her uniform and got changed, leaving her room and taking Junhong’s arm as she dragged him down the stairs. Her mother came out the kitchen with some toast that she took with a smile, kissing her mother on the cheek on her way out the door.

“So you like rabbits, do you?” Junhong asked as he broke off a bit of her toast so he could eat it. She scowled at him, and he just grinned cheekily.

“Yeah, I do” Areum replied, smiling at the boys as they came up to greet them.

“So you like bunnies?” Himchan asked her shyly, as he overhead the last part of the conversation.

“I love them” She smiled slightly before turning to Junhong. “Oh, and thank you for walking me to school this morning.” Areum stood on tiptoes and tugged him down slightly to kiss his cheek before walking off to her locker. Junhong grinned at Daehyun as he did a little victory dance.

--------------------

For the rest of the day Himchan was really quiet. It was like he was thinking about something, or he was distracted. He didn’t even mess around with everyone at lunch. Plus, he left pretty quickly after school. Areum wondered whether she had done something to upset him. Waving to the boys, she walked home and her mother came out.

“Mum, what’s wrong?” She asked her.

“Nothing, you have a present inside.” Her mother smiled and gestured for her to come. In a little box with a ribbon around its neck was a bunny. On the ribbon was a note.

 

Dear Areum

You said that you liked bunnies so here is one. Its name is Tatsmato. I hope you like it.
I’m sorry if I worried you today by being distant. The reason was because I was wondering whether to get you this bunny or not.
Again I am deeply sorry if you were worried I didn’t meant to make you so.

From, Himchan.
 

Smiling, she picked up the bunny close before taking out her phone and calling Youngjae. He answered on the first ring.

“Hello?” he said.

“Youngjae, its Areum. I was wondering if I could have Himchan’s phone number.” He agreed and quickly have it to her. Areum hung up and called Himchan.

“Himchan speaking.” Her heart fluttered at the sound of his voice.

“Hi Himchan it’s A-Areum. Youngjae gave me your number.” She stuttered and he replied.

“Hey. So did you like your present?” She could practically hear the smile in his voice, causing her to smile too.

“Yeah. It’s so cute I love it thank you.” She replied.

“No problem. Since it’s a weekend tomorrow do you want to go out with me? Like on a date?” He asked shyly after a few moments.

“S-Sure. I’ll see you tomorrow then.” She replied and he said that he’ll pick her up at herr house. After he hung up, Areum ran downstairs to her mother.

“Mum, I need to go shopping with you” She blurted out. Her mother put down her book.

“Why?” She asked curiously.

“Because Himchan asked me on a date for tomorrow.” She said blushing as her mother smiled and grabbed her car keys.

a/n : rewrite 4/13 complete