[Grammar] A Unicorn, An MP3 File, In An Hour

Your Story Is... Perfect... (Not)

Howdy you all! Cheetosmoontos is back with another grammar tip for all!

 


 

 

As most of you all English speakers know, one of the main types of articles are ‘a’ and ‘an’.

Well, you might know when to use one and when to use the other, but let us just recap quickly on the usage.

a’ is used when the following word starts with a vowel.
an’ is used otherwise, when the following word starts with a consonant.

 

 

Well, now look at the below, and see how many of them you think are right and how many of them are wrong.

 

 

She made an SOS call for her father to come.

An MP3 file of an unknown artist was in his laptop.

A unique story is difficult to create.

She does not know what a university is.

An hour later, she arrived, with tears in her eyes.

He managed an honest explanation of the scene.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

How many did you think was right?

 

 

None?

 

 

Oh well, you are such a…

 

 

!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No, I was just kidding, you are not a , but maybe you might want to continue reading on if you actually thought all, or most were wrong.

 

 

Let me start off with the concept most might know and some might not.

In the words ‘hour’, ‘honest’, and ‘heir’, the h’s are silent.
Before these words, you place an ‘an’ instead of an ‘a’.

 

The next concept might be something some knows but what some might not.

The words ‘unicorn’, ‘university’, ‘united’ start with the ‘u’ that sounds like ‘you’.
Before these words, ‘a’ is placed instead of ‘an’.

 

Lastly, a concept that might throw most writers off will be introduced.

SOS’, ‘UFO’, ‘MP3’ are not even single words, but abbreviations.
Before these abbreviations, no matter what letters they might start with, consonants, vowels, or even numbers, you place ‘an’ before them.

 

 

 

Yes? Simple much?

Now I guess it is time for you to go visit your stories to check for any corrections you might have!

 

 

 

 

 

 

Best wishes,
cheetosmoontos