[Vocab] Flowers, Flowers, Flowers!

Your Story Is... Perfect... (Not)

This is a really awkward topic to start of with, especially when it is supposed to be a writing workshop, but nevertheless, for this week I'd be talking about flowers.

I said it, and I mean it.

FLOWERS.

 

On Asianfanfics, I only see these sentences.

"He picked some wild flowers from the ground of green, then carefully put them into a bouquet, handing it over to her."
"She received the bouquet on her wedding, which she wanted."

"Tying the cluster of flowers, he handed it to her. She smiled and thanked her for the bouquet."

Bouquet, bouquet, bouquet. What, is bouquet a new trend or something? Have you guys got no vocabulary?

 

The basics you should know, is that there are four types of this bouquet thing that you authors talk about in your fanfics. Bouquets are definitely not the only way to explain a cluster of flowers.

  • bouquet The word everyone loves, the word most thinks is the only way to explain a cluster of flowers. A bouquet is an arrangement of cut flowers. I repeat, an arrangement of cut flowers. You see those pretty ones that have a mixture of different flowers bundled up together and arranged nicely wrapped in soft paper? Yes that's a bouquet.

  • a bunch of flowers Makes the flowers sound ugly, that's true. I don't recommend using this unless you have meant to force a bad gloomy atmosphere into your story. A bunch is just a group of things that are fastened or held together. Not that pretty.

  • garland A ring of flowers/leaves worn on your head or around your neck. Thought you heard it somewhere? Yes, maybe you heard of wreath, the more formal and ceremonial version of garland. Well, we don’t really say we wear a wreath of flowers on your head in the forest on a date. It makes it feel as though it is a special formal occasion.

  • posy (also known as nosegay in the States) A small bunch of flowers, sometimes given as gifts. Yes I assume that this is the word that most of you have been looking for. Not a bouquet, nor just a bunch of flowers neither, posy. Now you can thank me all you like. Posies are simple that anyone can do at home. Just because you can just bundle up some flowers just as nice as you wish it is and give it to people like that, and normally people assume they are bouquets. How sweet.

Yes beautiful flowers, treat them and express them well.

cheetosmoontos

 

 

 

 


Side Note: Do remember to comment or PM me on what topics you'd like me to talk on!