[Vocab] Similar Yet Different

Your Story Is... Perfect... (Not)

Now days I happen to have more time to actually come to Asianfanfics, so I decided I would do another vocabulary tip for you all amateur writers.

 

 


 

Today I would be reiterating of some pairs of similar sounding words that people just do not know which is which. 

 

 

 

 

  • they're and their

You, yes you, I see you blush. I am just kidding. These words are the words that people have to just misuse in their lives. Trust me,  you have used it wrongly at least once. I know.
They're is an abbreviation for 'they are', just like 'we're' and 'I'm'. Their is when you refer something to as one's property.
Let us look at some examples on how to use them.

Their pony was injured. This explains that the pony was theirs. As in of their property.
They're playing in the garden, hushing each other whenever the other moves. This explains that whoever they are are playing in the garden.

 

  • to and too

It was recently my birthday... Yes, thank you, happy birthday to me; anyway, surprisingly, on many of the cards which I was drooling as I read them, had these sentences. "I hope you like my presents to!" "I love you to!" I was sipping coffee as I read them, and with no joke, I had  to blow the brown liquid I had in my mouth. 
To is a prepositional word showing that one is acting toward a place, as opposed to from. It also means 'in order to'. Too means 'furthermore' or 'in addition (to)'.

 

  • immanent and imminent

When something is imminent, it means that that something is about to happen. For example, an imminent sunset. 
When something is is immanent, it means that something is inborn, or inherent. (Which means that something is naturally or permanently of a quality or characteristic.)

 

  • wreathe and wreath

To wreathe is to adorn something that is like a wreath, or to circle around something.
A wreath is a circular band of flowers or leaves that are usually hung on doors.

 

  • feint and faint

To faint is to lose consciousness, or to be faint is when something is lacking brightness.
A feint is a false attract to distract the opponent.

 

  • stationary and stationery

To be stationary is to be unmoving.
A stationery is a writing utensil, for example a paper or a pen. 

 

  • capitol and capital

A capitol is a specific of a capital. For example, the capitol of the capital city of the United States is the White House.
A capital is the best and brightest of something, like a capital letter, or a capital city.

 

  • altogether and all together

Altogether means 'completely' or 'entirely'.
All together refers to a group of objects that act together at the same time.

 

  • tortuous and torturous

When something is tortuous, it has many twirls and twists, like a crooked path. 
When something is torturous, it means that going through it causes a lot of pain.

 

  • insolate and insulate

To insolate is to expose to the sun.
To insulate is to prevent leakage of heat.

 

  • insure and ensure

To insure is to guarantee against loss or harm of usually property, or rather, money.
To ensure is to secure or guarantee against harm.

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

Those were the commonly mistook words of English society!

Now, if you wish, do go and review whatever writings you have left off on, you might have found those words!

 

 

Good luck,
cheetosmoontos