TWELVE

Is This Real Life?

 

I walked up to the large store wondering what today would bring. 

Is Niel still stressing? Ah, that's right, I need to be extra nice to him. My mission today? Cheering up Niel. Confidence, Alice. Stay confident.

I put on my best happy face and held my head high as I walked through the doors. 

I wandered around not really knowing where I was going. In actuality, I was just avoiding any place I thought he might be. I sighed. What was I just saying about confidence? ... ALICE, just find him! Remember your mission!

I picked up my pace, turned a corner, and slammed right into someone.

"Ricky! What are you doing here today?"

He smiled. "I'm going to be working Saturdays now too! Aunt Sophie suggested that I might be ready for adding another work day into my schedule. Uncle Daniel agreed that it would be okay, but if there are any more mishaps then I'll have to drop it. So I'm kinda on probation."

I stopped listening after Aunt Sophie and Uncle Daniel. Wow, Sophie, huh? Could that be an Americanized version of SoHee? That's really cool! I love that name! I got chills at the words "Uncle Daniel" though. That just TOTALLY gave me the creeps. 

"Okay so wait… you work on Saturdays now?" I said as I snapped out of it. Kinda realized I was staring out into space for a bit.

"… Yeah… Were you thinking about you-know-who again just now?" he said with a wink and a nudge.

"Nooooo!! I don't think about him ALL the time. And I'll thank you to not say it so loudly!"

He shrugged. Then he had to get back off to work, and I set off again to find Niel.

 

I ran into Cap before I got too far. I hadn't talked to Hanna about him recently, and I wondered how they were getting along.

"Oh Cap! What's up?"

"Same as usual." He said in his deep voice. "Unloading. Loading. Carrying things. That's it."

I blinked. How depressing. He was currently unloading a box containing bottles of sesame seeds.

"Well have you had lunch yet? The food court looked pretty empty when I passed by. Hanna's probably bored and could use some customers." I said with a great big smile.

"Hanna?" he asked with wide eyes and a crash of bottles. He had tipped over the box of sesame seeds.

Hmmm maybe he is into her….

I danced with glee.

"Yup! Hanna. Lemme help you with those. After you finish, you can probably take a break, right?"

I bent down and started picking up bottles. I laughed, remembering the face he had just made. I've never seen him do anything like that before, he's always so cool and collected.

"What? Why are you laughing?" he asked with a curious half-smile.

"Nope- nothing!" I said as I laughed even more. Then I remembered my mission. "Oh! Right, have you seen Niel?"

He nodded and pointed his finger past my left shoulder. 

"He's right behind you."

I shot up and spun around to see him standing right behind me. I guess I've caught him off guard enough times, it's only fair he gets a turn now. Me being me, my legs wobbled and I lost my balance. Cap caught me by my arm though before I toppled all the way over.

I started laughing a weird embarrassed laugh.

"Thanks Cap! That was close."  I said with another weird giggle. "You better get some food. Niel and I can finish this."

Oh. Is that okay? That I just volunteered Niel? Oops. I guess I'm just over-excited about Hanna and Cap.

Cap nodded and walked off. I shrugged and put my game face on.

Get to work Alice. Mission START!

I turned around to see Niel had already started with the sesame seeds.

"Niel! Hi! How are you today?" I asked cheerfully as I picked up a bottle and put it on the shelf.

"Fine." he answered back.

My shoulders dropped. Try harder, Alice.

"Well that's good. Have you seen the new SHINee video? It's really good, right? I totally want to learn the dance, maybe we can learn it together some time next week!"

"Maybe." he replied.

I scrunched my face. I knew he wouldn't see, since he wasn't even looking at me at all…

"I like your shirt a lot. That's my favorite shade of blue."

"My mom bought it."

I scratched my head and tapped my foot. I'm dying here, this is harder than I thought.

We finished loading the shelf and he started to walk away. I followed him, a bit confused.

I heard a voice from behind me yell out.

"Hey Hanna, look! Niel and Alice are.. WALKING DOWN THE AISLE! Puahahahahaha!"

Ricky. Worst timing ever. He and Hanna were peeking around the other end of the aisle. Hanna giggled.

Niel turned around with a burning fire in his eyes. It was scary. "COULD YOU BE ANY MORE IMMATURE? GET BACK TO WORK OR I'LL TELL MY DAD YOU'RE GOOFING OFF." 

I jumped at his the volume and tone of his voice. He sounded more angry than I've ever heard him, and it was shocking. I didn't know what to think or do, so I just stood frozen in place.

Ricky looked really scared and ran away, then Niel stormed off in the other direction.

I walked over to Hanna who looked freaked out and confused. "Hanna, now is really not a good time. Cap is waiting in the food court, go feed him."

Her eyes lit up and she skipped off to meet her prince charming immediately. I ran down the aisle to catch up with Niel.

 

"Niel!" I said desperately as I grabbed his arm. He slowed his pace and sighed. "Niel, are you really as fine as you say you are? You're definitely not acting like yourself. I'll understand if you're under stress... Or is it me? Did I do something wrong? Are you mad at me specifically for some reason? Just tell me, please!"

He came to a full stop, shook his head and turned to me. I gulped. His eyes looked so serious.

"You haven't done anything wrong. I shouldn't blame you. It's nothing you need to worry about. I've been a jerk, and I have had no good reason for it. I'm really sorry, Alice."

I nodded. "It's okay. I'm alright. I was just worried about you, is all. I hope you feel better soon." 

I gave him a reassuring smile. I wanted to tell him I was there for him, any time he wanted to talk.

He smiled back. I felt very relieved.

"So did you still want to learn that dance some time?" he asked.

I grinned. "Of course! This friday?"

"Sounds good."

 

My mom found me after that, and then we left. I didn't even buy anything this time which had my mom slightly confused. I felt better, but I still couldn't help but worry about Niel. What could possibly have made him so upset? It was none of my business, but… I wished that it was. I wanted him to share all of his problems with me. I wanted to make them all better.

Maybe some day. I'll just keep letting him know that I'm here. So that any time he needs me, he can just tell me. How I longed for him to say that.

A tear escaped my eye. I was still in the car with my mom, so I turned away and looked out the window so she wouldn't see.

Daniel Ahn. What are you doing to me?