ELEVEN

Is This Real Life?

"Thanks mom! I'll see you later!" I said as I shut the car door.
I ran up the walkway and stopped on the first step. I fixed my t-shirt, ruffled my hair, made sure my shoelaces were secure and I wouldn't be tripping on them at any time... and prepared myself. Then I walked up the next two steps and rang the doorbell. I smiled so widely, anticipating him coming to the door.
The door opened and there he was! My heart skipped a beat. "Hi!" I squeaked out in excitement.
"Hey~" he replied as he moved to the side and let me in.
"Soooo..." I said while walking to the kitchen. "What kind of stuff are we studying today?"
"Uhhh Korean….?"
I blinked. "Oh right, how could I forget? Haha~"
He set out some books and we got straight to work. He seemed just a bit sluggish today though. I wondered if his dad was being hard on him again today... Or if he was just tired from work. I did barely see him at all while I was there earlier this week since he was so busy.
I was copying some phrases to my notebook and peeked up at him. He was reading something. I wished that I could have just stared at him for hours...
"Ah, right! I never told you about what happened on Wednesday! So, I was-"
"It's okay." he interrupted. "Ricky already told me about it. It sounds pretty crazy, I don't know how I missed all of it. But I'm glad that everything could be worked out." he said with a smile.
Oh. He already heard. No problem. 
"Oh, and how did you like the cookies?!" I asked curiously.
"Those cookies were really delicious. Some of the best cookies that I've ever had. Thanks for making them! They kept me strong all day on Wednesday. CAP had some too, and he really loved them. I had to do everything I could to keep him from finishing them off."
I grinned. "I am so so glad! That makes me really happy. Thank you so much, Niel."
He half smiled and went back to his reading. I bit my lip and went back to my writing.
He liked them~

 

We went on with our work for some time, and 5:00 came around very quickly. 

"All dooonnnne~" I said as I stretched my arms up and let out a yawn. I closed my notebook and stood up from the table. "Now to get to the house work."

He looked up. "Do you need any help?"

I shrugged. "I should be fine as long as I don't come across any more rodents."

"Okay then. Just let me know, kay? My mom will probably be getting home around 6:45 and she'll start dinner then."

"Sounds great!" I said with a smile, then headed to the supply closet.

I dusted and mopped, swept and scrubbed. Every now and then a question would pop into my head, and I'd be too curious not to ask Niel.

"Hey Niel?" I asked while sweeping under the table. "Why is your dad's name Daniel if he's from Korea?"

"Ah, Daniel is just his American name. He started going by it when he moved here. His Korean name is Hyun Woo."

"Mmm I see. Hyun Woo. Thanks! Do you have a Korean name too?"

"Nope. That's why I go by Niel."

"Really?" I dumped the dust and dirt in the trash can. "I like Niel better than Dan or something. It fits you better."

He smiled. "You think so?"

"Mhm~ ... Hey is there anything to clean up in the dance studio?"

"I don't think so... Maybe? Not sure."

I paused for a minute. "…Can I go down there?"

He looked up from his book.

"You want to?"

I nodded my head vigorously. "It's the coolest thing I've ever seen."

He laughed. "Sure." 

Then he led me down the hall. I brought my broom and dust pan just in case.

We went down the stairs and he flicked the light on. It was just as great as it was the first time I saw it. I set my broom down, and just took it in. A huge room with giant mirrors and bright lights. I spun around in the middle of this dancer's paradise. 

"There's so much space. I wish I had a place like this that I could dance in any time I want."

"Do you seriously like it that much?" he asked.

"Of course! What's not to like? I really love it. I only have a few feet to dance in my room, so this is just like…. a dream."

He came to stand next to me and looked at my reflection in the mirror. "I think I've just gotten used to it and don't appreciate it as much as I should... I guess I'm really lucky to have it, aren't I?"

"Well, you're the only person I know with a dance studio in their basement..."

I stared into the mirror and did a wave with my arms. Then he did one too. Then he did a few steps, and I copied. I giggled.

"Hey, how do you do the beginning of Lucifer? I've always wanted to learn that but could never figure it out!" 

"Oh, that? It's not that hard, you just..."

Before I knew it, we were having an impromptu dance class. In just a matter of time, Lucifer was blasting through the huge speakers and I couldn't have been happier. It felt like a dream. Is this real life? It seemed surreal as we danced together… how we had gotten these intricate steps in perfect unison with each other.

 

I flumped onto the ground and wiped my rosy cheeks of the sweat that had accumulated. He went over to a mini fridge in the corner (Mini fridge… It figures. Doesn't everyone have one?) and tossed me a chilled water bottle.

"It feels really natural, right? I really don't have any trouble following you." I said as I attempted to twist the water bottle cap off with my sweaty fingers.

"You're right. So much easier than teaching you Korean." he said with a smirk. Then he grabbed my water bottle, twisted the cap off with ease, and handed it back to me.

I smiled to myself remembering the feeling I had when we were dancing together.

"It really is a lot of fun." I said as a grin crept onto my face. "Can you teach me the next part?"

He looked surprisingly serious all of a sudden. What's up with that?

"Actually we should probably go and finish up upstairs. My mom will be home soon."

I shot a glance at the clock. How is it 6:30 already?! Somehow it felt like time just… stopped while we were down here.

"Ah. You're right. We'd better go up. … Thank you so much, Niel."

He nodded and we headed upstairs.

 

Mrs. Ahn got home right on schedule, and I helped her cook dinner (without helping TOO much if you know what I mean).

We had fish, rice and veggies. It was yummy! The dinner table was awkward again. Mr. Ahn ate his dinner upstairs because he had too much work to do. Niel was quiet, and Mrs. Ahn was talking my ear off. I suppose it could have been worse though.

Then my mom came and picked me up. I stared out the window on the ride home.

Why is Niel acting so weird lately? Is his dad really causing him to be so serious? I can't stand the thought of him being in pain. I need to try to cheer him up. I probably can't do much, but maybe I can help a little bit.

I sighed and closed my eyes. Today really did feel just…. right. How it was supposed to be. I wish I could feel it again. I've never had more fun dancing ever than I did today. With him.