ONE

Is This Real Life?

It was just an ordinary saturday, but saturday happened to be my favorite day. Why? Because that was the day that my mom and I would go to the Korean Supermarket. I was excited as usual, but I was unusually happy today. I was looking forward to getting a lot of delicious foods and especially snacks, because I'd eaten my last chocopie the day before. 
I had just finished straightening my hair, and I looked in the mirror. I saw a 16 year old Caucasian girl with brown [now straight] hair. She was wearing a cute t-shirt with a bunny on it, jeans, and some colorful sneakers. 
"Alice, are you ready?" I heard my mom call up. I put on my chapstick and called back. "Yeah mom, be right there!" 
Before I left, I tried doing some new dance moves I had just learned, but tripped over some clothes on my floor. *Aigoo! That was stupid... (Oh my!) I got up, grabbed my iPod, and ran downstairs. 
"Alice!" my dad called from the other room. "Get me some of those tasty Korean snacks too, huh? What is it... pepe something?" 
"Pepero? *Ne, Appa!" I called back with a smile.  (Yes, Dad!) 
I heard him chuckle to himself "Ch, Appa. That strange child..."

As I walked outside I was thinking about what a beautiful day it was. 
I love spring. It gives me a fresh feeling. Like anything can happen. 
As soon as I was in the car I put on Angel by Teen Top and stared out the window. I knew the route well, since we travelled it often. Make a right here.... And a left there. I was in the middle of deciding whether I should get strawberry or chocolate pepero, when my mom interrupted my train of thought. 
"You always spend so much time getting ready on saturdays. We're only going to the store, you know." 
"Yeah, but you never know who you'll meet! There could be a ton of cute guys there today or something! If I want to marry a Korean guy some day I need all the help I can get!" 
"You're too young to be thinking about marriage. And why do you want to marry a Korean anyway? They're not much different from other guys." 
I rolled my eyes and sighed. 
"It's not like I'm racist or anything. I just need someone who will understand me. Mom, I can't go a day without saying something in Korean. And if I try to say something like that to a plain American guy? He'd never understand. I can't just say "Annyeong" (Hi) to just any guy! He'll just look at me weird. Plus, Korean guys are just what I'm looking for. You should know that from the dramas you watch." 
Then I put on my favorite song Supa Luv, and turned it up loud, playing out the dance moves in my head.

After about fifteen minutes, we arrived and I was itching to go inside. My mom was making sure she had all of her recipes and shopping lists with her. She liked making and tasting Korean food, and she was going to make some ddeokbokki for the first time. I smiled thinking of how yummy it would be. 
We crossed the parking lot and went through the large doors. I looked around and immediately was in a great mood. I smelled the food court, and got excited at the sound of Infinite's Nothing's Over playing on the loud speakers. I loved that they played kpop in the store. 
"Alice! Hello!" I heard a voice say to me. "Like clockwork. You're here every week, aren't you!" 
I smiled at an older woman that worked in the store. 
"Ah, *ahjumma! Annyeonghaseyo! Ne! (Older woman! Hello!) I would be sad if I didn't come every week~" I replied smiling at her.
"Well, have fun and please buy a lot!" she sad as she waved goodbye. 
"Ne~" I nodded, bowed and walked away. 

I grabbed a basket as my mom grabbed a cart, and I headed toward the snack area. My mom asked me to pick up some gochujang since I'd be going passed the aisle it was in. I was on my way across the large store, waving and bowing at employees that I knew. I picked up my snacks [I had decided on strawberry pepero this time] and went over to the seasoning aisle. I looked at the wall of different packaging and was looking for the brand that we usually got. 
As I was looking, I saw some guy pass by the aisle and do a double take at me. I continued about my business a little puzzled, but a few seconds later I saw him pass by the aisle again, and this time he was staring right at me. 
What is his problem? Is there something on my face? I didn't get a good look at him, but from what I could see he looked like he was about my age. And really cute. 
He came by again, this time coming into the aisle. He was pretending to look at something on the shelves. I picked up a bottle of gochujang and pretended not to care about the attractive boy a few feet away from me.
I heard him mumble "...Ippeuda... neomu gwiyeoweo..." (Pretty.... So cute) and I freaked out. There wasn't anyone else in the aisle, and I didn't think he was talking about the soy sauce he was looking at... could it be... was he talking about me? He doesn't know that I can understand him... yikes.
I tried to hide the fact that I was dying inside, but he started coming toward me and my heart started beating faster. Then I heard the voice of an angel speak. 
"Can I help you?" 
I looked at him, saw his vest, and realized that he was an employee. I had never seen him before, so I figured he must be new. But I only saw his vest for a second before I was staring at his face. He had straight brown hair, huge brown eyes, beautiful lips, and the most perfect little nose I had ever seen. I panicked, and tried to think, but my mind was blank. He spoke again and I just listened to his wonderful voice. 
"Do you need help finding something?" he said hopefully. 
I knew what I was looking for, but I decided to play a bit dumb. 
"Um... yes! I'm... I am supposed to get something called... koju.. something... I think?" 
Okay, so I played really dumb, but it was worth it. He smiled. 
"Oh, here! You want gochujang! Here, I think this brand is the best." he said reaching for a bottle on one of the higher shelves. It wasn't the one that we usually got, but I took it anyway as I stared into his eyes. 
"... Ah... Thank you so much!" 
Then my phone buzzed, and it made me jump. My mom was calling.  She said she was over by the prepared foods and that I should come help pick out what to get. He was staring at me, making me really nervous. I hung up, and said "Thanks, again!" before I ran away like an idiot.

I was walkling slowly over to where my mom was, but my head was in the clouds. He was the only thing on my mind. Then I heard someone run towards me and hug me from behind. 
"Alice! Why didn't you tell me you were here?" They said in a cute squeaky voice. 
I turned around and saw a cute Asian girl pouting. 
"Sorry Hanna! I was on a mission to get snacks." I replied, grinning. 
"Oh you and your snacks~ I'm surprised you're not fat!" 
I shrugged and we giggled. 
Hanna was a year older than me. I met her a year ago, the first time I came to the store. She was working in the food court, and I came to order some kimbap. I was wearing a SHINee shirt that day, and she totally freaked out when she saw it. We started talking, and we've been friends ever since!
Seeing Hanna, I'd forgotten for a minute, but then- I remembered him. 
"Hanna!" I said shaking her. 
"What? what? what?" she exclaimed, obviously annoyed at the fact that I was shaking her.
So many questions came out of my mouth at once. 
"I saw a guy! Is he a new employee? Do you know him? What's his name??" 
She thought for a moment looking confused, but then she grinned. 
"Ohoho, you've seen him, huh? Yeah, he's a new employee, in fact, today is his first day. I don't know his name yet though, since I work in a different part of the store. He's really cute, huh? Not my type, though. I only have eyes for CAP oppa! Look, there's CAP, now! Omo, he's lifting something heavy! He's sooooo strong~~~!" 
CAP was another employee that worked at the store. He spotted us and waved (Hanna almost fainted) and I waved back. But my mind was still somewhere else. Thinking about that boy.

Soon it was time for us to go. As we were checking out, I greeted another ahjumma that I knew. 
She called to a someone to come bag our groceries for us."Yah! Balli, balli!" (Hey! Hurry hurry!)
A guy came up and started bagging our stuff. I whipped my head around and looked at the guy, just hoping it would be him. It WAS him. I could feel a surprised look on my face, and he looked just as surprised to see me. I was frozen. I didn't know whether to talk to him or just let him do his job... 
I looked for a nametag, but frowned when I saw he didn't have one. I was about to ask him his name, but as I was formulating my sentence, my mom put the gochujang up on the counter and said in a puzzled voice "Alice, this isn't the kind we usually get..." 
"Oh, I thought of trying something new. I heard this one is really good!" I flashed a shy smile at him. 
We finished up, and I decided to let him be aware of my secret. I said my thanks and goodbyes in formal Korean like a boss, bowing politely and smiling. I enjoyed seeing his jaw drop, his surprised face turn to embarrassment and his cheeks turn pink, obviously remembering what he said in Korean earlier thinking I couldn't understand. 
As I walked away I heard the ahjumma say "Aigoo, such a polite young girl..." and all he could say was "Wait... She knows KOREAN? Aisshhh!"

On the car ride home, as I was eating my strawberry pepero, his voice played over and over in my head. 
"Ippeuda... Gwiyeopda... Can I help you? ...Aisshhh~" 
I felt happy and excited, but then I got a sinking feeling. I forgot to ask him is name. Dang it I threw a fit in my seat, until my mom asked me what I was doing. I was so bothered that I still didn't know his name. At this point, I only knew two things. One - He was amazingly attractive, and two - waiting for next saturday would be the hardest thing I'd ever have to do.