Call of Duty Part 1

On the Back of These Silver Wings

part 2

 

Junmyeon takes a trip to the hairdresser’s later and comes out with what feels like only half his original amount of hair. The sides are short, and what’s left on top is styled up like a mohawk. He surveys himself in the mirror and concedes that he is quite dashingly handsome (if he says so himself).

The other members all compliment him at dinner and Sehun blinks in confusion at the sudden change.

“Wow. Looks good, hyung!” Baekhyun gives him a double thumbs-up. Chanyeol and Kyungsoo nod enthusiastically in agreement.

“You look a heck of a lot younger,” Jongin adds.

Junmyeon pauses. Was that a grandpa reference?

Dammit, he curses silently, as Sehun goes back to eating his food without a word.

~

What.

Sehun heads back to his shared room by himself after dinner. Well, Junmyeon-hyung actually did look really nice (in addition to how nice he already looks, mm-hmm) but it seemed out of the blue. K’s leader wasn’t one for spontaneity and why did he even get a haircut in the first place because he hadn’t been chosen by The Wheel in ages and it’s not even for the comeback and how come he gets to skip out on gay colours like pink and he totally had to stop himself from jumping on his hyung and touching his uber-cool hair –

His bed is untouched like it has been for the last week or so, the sheets still plain and rumpled slightly unlike his roommate’s. He briefly contemplates not crashing in Baekyeol’s room tonight and maybe sleeping in his own bed because he should probably check up on Junmyeon and make sure the elder is looking after his wings properly. This is probably the longest he’s left his leader to manage himself (apart from that time where he threw the pink hair tantrum) and wonders how he’s going.

“Yo, Sehun.” Chanyeol pokes his head in.

Sehun jumps and whirls around. “. Knock before you come in like that,” he growls.

“Sorry, man. Anyway, we’re on the Nacht der Untoten map in an hour; losers do the dorm’s laundry tomorrow.”

Chanyeol pops out and Sehun huffs. Doing the washing load of six boys who went through enough clothes and socks and underwear to supply all the starving children in Africa was no feat. There’s a real chance he and Chanyeol might lose; Baekhyun and Jongin have figured out how to cover for each other’s weaknesses after so many nights of gaming and were starting to be a real pain in the backside to the other team’s winning streak.

Sehun really doesn’t want to have to wash a truckload of clothes tomorrow.

Junmyeon comes in and grabs his things for a shower and with no one else for company Sehun idly surfs the internet on his laptop and mucks around on the EXO fanboard.

Junmyeon comes back from his shower, having made it a quick one because Baekhyun had been pounding on the door and complaining about Chanyeol spilling something on him.

He locks the door behind him and tugs off his tee, damp with wet patches and sets to drying himself properly while humming a tune from some song.

Sehun suppresses a laugh as Junmyeon towels his hair and the little spikes go wayward, sticking up in haphazard directions. He bets it’s a lot softer than it looks (he knows it’s softer than it looks. Sehun has had those touchy days where he basically touches Junmyeon’s everything). He sneaks a subtle peep  as his leader spreads his wings wide, shaking one to get extra water out before he pats it dry and smooths down the feathers until he’s happy with their appearance. The pretty silver plumage is shiny, in top condition, and irresistible to the little boy in Sehun.

He closes the lid of his laptop. “Do you want some help? I’ll grab the hairdryer.”

Junmyeon turns his back to him and rubs his other wing down.

“Nope. I’m fine,” he replies shortly. The muscles in his back bunch and flex as he reaches behind him with the towel to get at the furthest feathers.

Sehun watches him in slight shock. But. But…

“Um. O-okay,” he stammers. He’s never been refused before.

“Aren’t you supposed to be gaming with everyone else?” Junmyeon asks.

“Yeah. Soon.” Sehun furrows his brow.

“Why don’t you go now? I can manage by myself.” Junmyeon turns back around and gives the maknae a dazzling smile. He curls one wing lazily over his shoulder, fingers sifting through the soft feathers.

Sehun’s about to whine and tell him to stop teasing when there door knob wiggles and K’s leader jumps a foot in the air, his wings reflexively snapping shut in the blink of an eye.

“What the hell?” comes a voice from the other side of the door. “Sehun, why’s your room locked?”

Sehun lets Junmyeon throw on the nearest shirt before opening the door to reveal Jongin. “What?”

“Chanyeol said to come get you,” Jongin says. He spies Junmyeon standing not too far away, face pink and his damp t-shirt on backwards. “Oooh. Did I ruin your quality time with hyuuung?”

Yes, you dickhead.

“No,” Sehun answers grumpily. “Go away. Tell Chanyeol I’ll be there in a second.” He shuts the door in Jongin’s face.

“Go on,” Junmyeon smiles, waving him away with his hands. “Shoo.”

Sehun starts feeling sulky. Well, if his hyung really didn’t need him… maybe if he copped out on the game to gain Junmyeon’s favour – but then Chanyeol would have no partner – and the washing

Urgh. He’ll play the crappy game for tonight and see if he can weasel his way out of it in the near future.

He mumbles a “see you later then” to his leader and leaves for Chanyeol’s room.

Junmyeon gives a satisfactory hum and strips off his sticky wet shirt.

You’ll come running back to me, Sehunnie. He didn’t miss the hesitation in the maknae’s eyes at all.

He extends his arm and stretches the wing on the same side as far out as possible. The tips of the outermost feathers go at least a handspan past his fingers. Are they growing?

The idea of flight suddenly crosses his mind (he’s got to try it some time for sure) and he can’t deny that he doesn’t feel a twinge of excitement. And bonus points from Sehun for the coolness factor.

~

It’s ten am and Oh Sehun is already having a crappy day. He doesn’t bother sorting out the clothes in the giant basket of laundry and just hurls them all into the machine, mixing the colours and the blacks and whites just to spite the other team.

Distracted last night, he’d lost Nacht der Untoten’s flamethrower to Baekhyun, who’d obliterated Team Sehun as a result and claimed victory with Jongin.

Sehun’s a little bit calmer after pouring in some washing powder and changing the settings  of the machine to accommodate the large load when he realizes his clothes are amongst the mess too. He moans and digs them all out (hell hath no fury like Sehun’s precious white tanks dyed a gross pink from Jongin’s stupid red jeans) and then decides to pull out Junmyeon’s clothes too. He’ll do those later. He slams the lid of the machine shut, jabs the start button and leaves for dance practice.

~

Junmyeon turns him away again that night, flopping onto his bed after a gruelling workout in the studio and too tired to talk. Disgruntled, Sehun channels his irritation into the night’s game and repeatedly annihilates Jongin (Baek bought him food during their break at practice so the vocalist’s off the hook) without mercy.

It’s an early night for everyone since they’re all exhausted. Sehun heads straight for a hot shower to soothe his aching muscles and wanders back to his room wrapped in his towel. He’s warm, sleepy and wants something fluffy to cuddle up with (Junmyeon’s plumage is nice.) but when he tries the door to his room he finds it locked.

“Hyung,” he whines, “Why’s the door locked? Let me in...”

But it’s past midnight and there’s no reply from inside. Sehun makes another whining noise and trudges into Kyungsoo’s room, where Jongin is already snoring away in Kyungsoo’s bed with the Kyungsoo tucked in his arms.

Well, crap. Sehun hops under the covers of Jongin’s bed with all its cooties and falls asleep hugging his pillow.

~

“What the hell?” Jongin peers at the sleeping figure the next morning. “Maknae, get out of my bed.”

“What’s going on?” Kyungsoo asks, rubbing his eyes and sitting up amongst his blankets. Jongin flings open the curtains and light floods the room.

“Junmyeon-hyuuung,” Sehun groans, rolling over. “Five more minutes… pleeease… your wings are really warm…”

“Wings?” Jongin gives him a look. “I’m judging you really hard, Sehun.” He pokes the boy through the blanket.

“Maybe he’s dreaming,” Kyungsoo laughs, changing out of his pajamas. “Aww. He’s so cute.”

“How is dreaming about gramps in fairy wings cute?”

“I’m sure you would know, Jongin. Remember that time you dreamed about me making you all those bowls of kimchi spaghetti? And then you cried when I threw them away because you couldn’t eat them all?” Kyungsoo chuckles behind a hand.

“…Hyung, I thought we agreed not to talk about that. Oi, Sehun! Get your fat up.”

“Stop calling my fat,” Sehun mumbles.  He reluctantly rolls over anyway. He looks still half-asleep, and half shocked.

“Where’s Junmyeon-hyung?” he says dumbly.

“Dude, you’re not even in your own room,” Jongin points out.

Sehun looks around and groans. “I got locked out last night,” he pouts, climbing out of bed.

“That’s odd – Sehun, where are your clothes?” Kyungsoo exclaims. Jongin puts one hand over his roommate’s eyes and the other over his own.

Oops.

Well, he had been locked out. And in only a towel nonetheless.

“Never mind, have a nice day, goodbye,” Sehun mutters and flees back to his room with aforementioned towel securely in place. Thankfully, it’s unlocked this time.

K’s leader is in the mirror tending to his new hair.

“Morning, Sehunnie,” he says brightly, all blinding smiles and sparkling white teeth.

“Hyung, I couldn’t get in last night,” Sehun complains, collapsing onto his own bed and shoving his face into the pillow so only the back of his messy pink hair is visible.

Junmyeon pauses. Did it work?

“I really wanted to sleep in your bed,” the boy wails. “But all I got was Jongin’s yucky– ”

His roommate laughs sheepishly. “Uh, sorry about that. I think I locked it while I was changing and forgot to unlock it again. Won’t happen again, I promise. Do you mind if I borrow your gel?”

Sehun says something unintelligible and Junmyeon takes that as a yes. The coordi noonas always keep the poor maknae well supplied with the stuff when they give him awful hairstyles at red carpet events.

“I thought you weren’t coming back last night,” Junmyeon carefully remarks. “Weren’t you staying in Chanyeol’s room?”

Sehun grunts.

“But you’ve been in there so much that I almost forget your bed is here! I didn’t think you would’ve been that offended that you couldn’t get in.”

“I wanted to sleep in your bed,” the maknae repeats gloomily. He picks himself off his bed to see his leader by the window, giving his wings a good stretch in the warm sun that filters through. 

Junmyeon lets out a content breath of air. “Mm. That’s better.”

He feels today may be a long day. His wings always get so cramped after hours of pressing them tightly against his back so none of the other members notice. Morning or evening is his favourite time to relax his appendages.

He styles his hair back up into the mini mohawk Sehun finds so incredibly adorable on his leader (and he’s supposed to be the cute one) and checks his reflection in the mirror.

Sehun reaches out to touch but one of Junmyeon’s wings swats him away.

“Go and get changed,” K’s leader laughs, batting him again and tickling his nose with feathers.

Sehun withdraws and does as he is told, his bottom lip sticking out. He just wants to be babied again; was that so much to ask for?

~

EXO-K play a few more nights worth of games before their comeback looms far too close to be comfortable. The first to pull out of their overly-competitive routine is Jongin, who now spends increasingly long hours cooped up in a room with only his reflection for company, perfecting each and every dance move as he did for MAMA. Baekhyun and Chanyeol are the next to retire their controllers, both opting to work on their singing and rapping respectively. Kyungsoo joins them and even Sehun, as the group’s other dancer, is left to work with Jongin together in the studio. Junmyeon spends increasing amounts of time at vocal lessons as well and flits from meeting to briefing to meeting again with managers and keeps in close contact with Yifan.

When Sehun returns to the dorm with Jongin, dripping with sweat, dehydrated and well-spent, Junmyeon’s often not there. He mindlessly showers and falls into bed in a boneless heap and the next day is the same.

He gets tired of Jongin’s frustrations when he’s unable to get his steps right. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo almost gone from the dorm as much as their leader to maximise their co-ordination with the vocals for their title song. He goes looking for Chanyeol but even the rapper is always nowhere to be seen.

Sehun has only himself and even Luhan-hyung is too busy to answer his texts.

He thinks that maybe, just maybe, he should have picked his roommate over gaming. He misses Junmyeon and ends up huddling in bed, feeling lonely until he falls asleep from exhaustion.

Junmyeon comes back late one night and quietly lets himself into the dorm, nearly asleep on his feet and yawning widely. His schedule drives him up the wall and he hasn’t had a single chance to check on the other members, Sehun in particular. He hasn’t heard a peep from the maknae for days (and he’s not even gaming), and it worries him.

He stops in the kitchen for a glass of water and tiptoes to his room. In the darkness he can vaguely see the sleeping lump in the maknae’s bed and refrains from turning on the light, instead padding past as softly as possible. He peels his socks off and shucks his clothes somewhere, fumbling around for something clean to wear to bed when his foot slips up on what feels like Sehun’s satin boxers on the floor. He catches himself mid-stumble after one of his arms knock something over and he hisses in pain, rubbing the sore spot vigorously.

“Hyung?” comes a sleepy voice.

Dammit.

“Yeah, it’s me. Sorry, just tripped up. Go back to sleep, ‘kay?” Junmyeon reaches around for whatever he knocked over but can’t find it so he gives up.

“Hyung, you’re back…” There is a scrambling of limbs and sheets as Sehun gets out.

“Hmm? Yes, I – oof.” Junmyeon’s sentence is cut off as the maknae throws his arms around him from behind and pulls him into a bear hug, nearly bowling him over, warm body pressing tightly into his folded wings.

“I really missed you,” Sehun whimpers, nose burying into the back of his roommate’s hair (see, it was soft). “How come you abandoned me?”

Abandon – what? Brat. Blowing things out of proportions again.

“I didn’t do that,” Junmyeon objects.

“Yes, you did.”

“Can we talk about this? Or at least let me put some clothes on?” Only now Junmyeon’s aware that he’s only wearing his underpants; he’d been in the midst of looking for his sweats but never gotten there.

“No.”

“Alright, then. How exactly did this abandoning thing work, Sehunnie?”

“You kept pushing me away when I wanted to spend time with you!”

Well. Junmyeon is guilty of that.

“And you didn’t let me help you take care of your wings. You never say no!”

Guilty of that too.

“And you locked me out of our room!”

Extremely guilty of that.

“That was an accident.” Junmyeon tries to lie.

“No it wasn’t,” Sehun argues. “You did it on purpose because you got jealous when I kept staying over in Chanyeol’s room and you also got all snotty when you tried to be cool and join us but actually at Call of Duty and –"

Junmyeon’s jaw hits the floor.

Sehun continues to spew accusations, more or less hitting every single nail on the head (but Junmyeon wonders if he really had to call him “snotty”).

He sighs and slips out of Sehun’s grasp, turning around to pull him to his chest. His wings instinctively wrap around him too and he pats the maknae’s head in what he hopes is a soothing action.

“Okay, maybe I was a bit jealous,” he admits grudgingly.

“I told you,” Sehun says cattily.

“I didn’t mean to. You just spent so much time with the others and not me.”

“I thought you didn’t like it when I was always around you. You told Kyungsoo-hyung that I was clingy!”

Junmyeon coughs. “Um. Sometimes you are,” he tries to say in the least offensive way possible.

“You don’t like me,” Sehun accuses him in wobbly tones. He sounds like he’s on the verge of tears.

“No! Silly boy. Don’t think that,” Junmyeon tells him hastily. “It was just strange that you didn’t follow me everywhere like you always do. That’s all. You can be… clingy. If you want.”

Dear lord. Permission for his overly-clingy maknae to be even clingier. He doesn’t know if he’s just manage to successfully placate his maknae or if he’s condemned himself to a lifetime of being the centre of Sehun’s attention.

Sehun, on the other hand, seems mostly satisfied with his leader’s answer.

“Cool,” he says simply. “But I still don’t know why you got so jealous of me being with the other members.”

Junmyeon flushes. “Well. It’s because, well, because… oh my god, Sehun, I’m sorry, okay? Can you please stop being a brat to me?” The gods be damned if he ever tells him why.

“No.”

“Ugh.” Junmyeon pushes him away because he knows Sehun’s got his smug little smiley face on and feels his way back his bed (he’s given up looking for his sweats). “Go to bed, you.”

Sehun gets into bed with him.

“I didn’t mean in my bed,” Junmyeon sighs, and Sehun responds by snuggling up to his back and petting his wings.

Sehun’s breath ghosts against his ear. “Did you get jealous because I’m your favourite?” he whispers.

His roommate mentally facepalms. Yes, you mind reader of a brat. Leave me alone.

“No.” He denies it. He’ll forever deny it. He can feel the body behind him shaking with laughter and his face goes bright red. Thank god it’s dark and nobody can see.

“Don’t lie, hyung,” Sehun tells him, and Junmyeon makes a dying cat noise.

To his credit the maknae doesn’t make fun of him for a while but Junmyeon knows he’s being lulled into a false sense of security. He’s nearly asleep when Sehun tightens his grip on his waist and pipes up again.

“Also, hyung, I really like your hair.”

 

 

why does everything I write involve sehun being a little poop