Guardian Angel

On the Back of These Silver Wings

A/N: i died from the fluff

 

It is midnight and Junmyeon is underneath his blanket staring at his phone screen. His eyes repeatedly scan the little reminder he’d set ages ago (UPCOMING! APRIL 12: “SEHUN’S BIRTHDAY”). He silently berates himself for having even forgotten and checks the calendar app – it’s the 11th tomorrow, and he breathes a sigh of relief. He has time to go shopping, at least, but ideas for what to buy Sehun seem to have eluded him.

“Hyung, what are you doing?” From under his warm cocoon Junmyeon hears Sehun’s voice drift in the darkness from across the room. “What’s that light?”

“Uh, just checking tomorrow’s schedule. I’m done now. Go to sleep, okay?”

~

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo tag along with him to the mall, both intent on birthday present shopping as well. They split up and agree to meet in two hours.

Junmyeon meanders about in the aisles of a large clothing outlet, picking up shirts or hoodies he think would suit Sehun, then putting them back. He always gets the other members generic things but when the youngest’s birthday swings around he tries to make a decent effort with something special. Everyone knows Kim Junmyeon dotes on his maknae.

Eventually he asks the fangirls trailing around after him for ideas but they all come back with less than desirable answers.

“Underwear.”

“Condoms.”

“Luhan!”

erts. They are all erts, and Junmyeon wants to cry. What did he get for Sehun last year again? He pinches the bridge of his nose in frustration and does some more searching.

When he meets up with the other two at their agreed location, he finds both of them laden with bags of shopping and feels even worse.

Kyungsoo hands him a drink he and Baekhyun had picked up for him on the way. “What did you buy?” he asks.

“Uh.” Junmyeon laughs awkwardly. “It – it’s a surprise.”

“Oh. Okay.” Kyungsoo nods in (mis)understanding.

~

The party arranged by SM with the fans is the following day, but EXO-K always spend the day after having their own little celebration in the privacy of the dorm.

Jongin gives Sehun a large white box, which the latter opens to find a MacBook inside.

“I got six,” Jongin grins.

“. What did you do to it?” Sehun demands. They all break into laughter. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo have gotten him clothes and a pair of blue Nike high-tops while Chanyeol gives him a stack of CDs.

“Junmyeon-hyung?” Sehun tugs on the bottom of his leader’s shirt.

Junmyeon can feel himself sweat as his heart races. “I-I’ll give it to you tonight, okay?” he plasters a hopefully convincing smile on his face.

Jongin and Chanyeol hi-five each other. “Sehun’s getting some,” the lead dancer sniggers while the rapper makes hooting noises.

Sehun grabs a can of whipped cream meant for the cake on the table and doesn’t hesitate to spray a white moustache on Jongin’s face.

“Ugh, what the hell – ” He coughs and spits out some cream.

“Oh no, you ruined it,” says Sehun sarcastically. He furiously empties the can all over the other boy, who chokes out something unintelligible but sounds vaguely like “Kyungsoo, help me”.

Kyungsoo sighs and picks up the nearest pile of napkins.

“Sehunnie, no!” Junmyeon shrieks, trying to snatch the can away. But Jongin does look hilarious. Hehe.

Sehun just holds it up higher and proceeds to squirt a blob on Junmyeon’s head.

K’s leader makes a strangled noise, his mouth moving but no words coming out. He starts pointing and waving his arms and by this point Sehun is on the ground clutching at his sides, whipped cream rolling away.

Chanyeol pulls Baekhyun behind his back and out of range. “Food fight!” he yells with glee.

“Disgusting,” Baekhyun adds, scrunching up his face.

“No,” Kyungsoo moans, “the dorm, guys, the dorm…”

“Hyung, get down!” Jongin bellows. He makes to tackle Kyungsoo but he’s too late; the elder boy gets splattered in the chest by a piece of cake. He and Jongin go down in a pile of sugar and limbs.

“Ha! I got you! Hahaaaa-”

“You’re dead, Park Chanyeol! ‘Soo, pass me the icecream– ”

“Guys, this isn’t a good idea – what, no, get it yourself, Jongin– ”

Junmyeon yelps in surprise as someone jerks him to safety behind the couch. Sehun is casually munching on a bowl of potato chips, periodically tossing a handful into the warzone in the centre of the room as if he were throwing rose petals at a wedding. Even Baekhyun has joined in, employing the contents of the fruit bowl as arsenal.

Sehun,” Junmyeon groans.

Sehun wordlessly adds a little mountain of chips to the whipped cream on his leader’s head.

Junmyeon wails in despair and Sehun takes the prime opportunity to stuff his open mouth with more chips.

“Foo cot egfhnig eihi iddis,” Junmyeon tries to say but the only things coming out are broken chips and crumbs. He swallows it down and prepares to berate Sehun but the boy has such a genuine happy smile on his face as he surveys Kaisoo and Baekyeol’s war and Junmyeon thinks it’s absolutely adorable and his heart has just climbed out of his chest and jumped off a cliff.

“Come on, hyung. Please?” Sehun puts on his puppy face. “It’s my birthday today…”

Cue the innocent eyes and pout, and Junmyeon is down and out.

“Okay,” he sighs, knowing for sure he will regret this later. “Count me in.”

“Where’s Sehun?” Baekhyun demands.

The maknae pops up from behind the couch barrier and pelts them with lollies. Junmyeon helps him and accidentally clocks Kyungsoo in the head with a gobstopper or two. The assault catches him off guard and he trips over a stool.

“Oh god, Kyungsoo, I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to– ” Junmyeon panics and clambers over the couch to get to his bandmate and gets hit in the left wing with – was that a mango?

“Hyung, you ,” Sehun yells. “Get back here.”

“No, wait, let me just make sure Kyungsoo – ow, ow, okay, I’m coming, Sehunnie…” Junmyeon leaves his open position on the battlefield to get back behind the couch. A piece of banana unsticks itself from his arm and drops to the floor as he reaches over his shoulder to rub the sore part. Sehun glances at him in concern.

“Are they okay?” he asks softly.

Junmyeon wiggles the wing slightly. “Yeah, it’s fine.” He notices a little blob of jelly on Sehun’s nose and finds it too endearingly cute to wipe off.

“Okay.” And Sehun evolves back into a food-slinging machine.

“Oof!” Kyungsoo is taken out with a face full of pudding by Chanyeol while attempting to get a second tub of icecream. Jongin releases a battle cry and bellows something else about “bacon” and “pee on everything you love”.

Junmyeon winces. “I’m going to check on him,” he tells Sehun, and hops over the couch before the younger can stop him.

Jongin bends over Kyungsoo briefly before shielding himself from a barrage of orange and apple pieces. They all notice Junmyeon coming and suddenly Baekyeol, clad head to toe in food, leap over the little table doubling as their metaphorical fortress to tackle their leader to the ground.

“Augh, get off me– ”

“Chanyeol, hold him– ”

The rapper pins him down by sitting on his and before Sehun has time to tell them to keep their hands off their leader’s back Baekhyun stretches out the neck of Junmyeon’s dirty tee, Jongin rips the lid off the tub of icecream Kyungsoo died for and tips the entirety of the cold dessert down the back Junmyeon’s shirt.

Sehun will tell him later that he has never heard such a girly scream in his entire life.

~

“Do you think they saw?” Sehun ponders afterwards.

He and Junmyeon are in the bathroom, the elder in the bathtub and Sehun patiently cleaning his sticky plumage.

K’s leader shakes his head. “I doubt it,” he says. “They would have said something while we were cleaning up, don’t you think?”

At least the common room is cleaned, if Junmyeon isn’t. Even when they were all coated with all enough food to feed a family Kyungsoo had refused to let them out until everything was clean.

Sehun had pulled Junmyeon away to the bathroom and said everyone owed their leader for tipping icecream down his shirt (and owed the birthday boy just because he was the birthday boy) and therefore those two were excused from cleaning. Which led to Sehun currently rinsing the last of the melted dessert out of Junmyeon’s wings and looking mighty proud of his handiwork as he announces that he is done.

His leader wraps a towel around himself and flexes both wings to get water out. He smiles warmly at the maknae watching him. “I owe you one. Thanks, Sehunnie.”

Junmyeon finds out that since Sehun had dragged him into the bathroom for that impromptu cleaning session he doesn’t have a clean shirt to wear (or hide his wings). He momentarily considers making a dash for it but Sehun sees that plan brewing far ahead of its time and whips out and comes back with a new shirt, complete with cuts in the back.

Junmyeon doesn’t poke his wings through until they’re back in their shared room, after Sehun’s offered to dry his wings as per usual. It’s almost late evening now and the warm glows of the remaining sun filter through their window.

Junmyeon is almost done blowdrying his hair in front of the mirror when Sehun sidles up to him and hugs him from the back. His hands drift up into Junmyeon’s wings to coax them into opening fully.

“I had fun today. And you look really nice, hyung,” he adds with awe. “I think you really were made to be a guardian angel.”

Junmyeon goes red to the tips of his ears and all he can come back with is a strangled noise. But when he looks back into the mirror, he admits that maybe the boy does have a point. In the lowlight of the sunset, the rich honey-almond light bathes him, illuminating the length of his figure and reflects off the dark red of his hair. It gives the feathers of his shiny silver plumage an almost-ethereal glow - and his appearance truly does resemble that of an angel. Sehun really makes him feel like Kim Junmyeon and Suho are one being.

 

Click.

“Sehun, did you just– ”

“Yeah.” Sehun shows him the selca.

My god, Junmyeon thinks, impressed. This boy’s been learning from Zitao.

It’s actually a really nice photo. Junmyeon looks resplendent in the light and Sehun is his just too-cute self. But he does have his wings spread in it and that is not normal.

Sehun puts his phone back into his pocket and snuggles up against the nape of Junmyeon’s neck. “Can I keep it?” he pleads.

Currently Junmyeon has no way of refusing the cuddly koala on his back that doesn’t involve inappropriate language, violence or Luhan so he just gives up and says yes.

“Alright,” he agrees, his mind jumping to the next question. “But what if someone else sees it?”

He can almost feel Sehun’s satisfied smile radiating from him. “I’ll just tell them it’s edited,” he says simply, like there was nothing more obvious in the world. Right now he is content to close his eyes, stand and bask in Junmyeon’s presence, in this guardian angel’s presence, and hug him just that little bit tighter.

“By the way,” he says after a moment, lifting his head and opening his eyes. “What was my present?”

Junmyeon is silent. “Ah. Well…” He pauses and swallows nervously. “To be honest, Sehunnie, I couldn’t find anything for you...”

“Oh.”

“We can go look for something tomorrow, if you want.” Junmyeon bites his lip.

“…No.” Sehun’s eyes flutter closed again and his head drops back on Junmyeon’s shoulders. “No. That’s okay, hyung.”

 

 

fluffy fluff fluff stuff for everybody