On the Back of These Silver Wings

On the Back of These Silver Wings

A/N: got some exams coming. have some more seho fluff and sit tight for the next update :D

 

Oh Sehun has always been that kid who had his nose buried in a fantasy novel on a daily basis. From dragons to sorcerers to demons, he up fantastical things like a vacuum cleaner. He doesn’t have so much time these days, what with promotions and concerts flying in all directions, but in that rare moment of spare time he likes to cuddle with Junmyeon on the couch and indulge in his age-old habit. But when he wakes up to feathers up his nose his first reaction is to kick whatever is in his bed out (it's Junmyeon’s bed, actually, but he doesn’t have any craps to give right now).

~

Junmyeon lurches off the side of the mattress and hits the floor with a dull thud. He shouts in bewilderment at the sudden cold (he just abandoned his wifebeater last night when Sehun hopped in his bed. It gets too hot sometimes.) and flails about, voice still hoarse with sleep. “What’s going on? Did you just – what are– ”  

Sehun is fishing bits of fluff out of his mouth when he peeks over the side of the bed. His eyes widen comically and his jaw drops to the ground. “Hyung!” he screams, pointing. He swallows, gags on some fluff he’d missed and goes back to pawing at his tongue.

“What? Have you got food poisoning?” Junmyeon picks himself off the floor and suddenly sways backwards, feeling unbalanced. He glances down; nope, he hasn’t developed a chest overnight, thank the heavens, but his shoulders, his back – feel weighted, like he’s sprouted–

“Wings,” says Sehun dumbly. “Junmyeon-hyung, you sprouted wings.”

What. "Wake me up when I've finished dreaming." Junmyeon decides he needs to go back to sleep.

“Junmyeon-hyung, you sprouted wings,” the maknae repeats from the bed. He gets out, steadies his leader and pivots him by the shoulders to face the mirror.

“Oh my god,” Junmyeon blurts out. “For the love of all that is holy, what happened to me?”

The bony ridges from the previous day are no longer there. Instead, extending from the same spots are a pair of massive, feathered wings (“I told you so,” Sehun says cattily). They’re currently folded and follow the curve of his S-line, coming to rest nicely in the hollow of his back just above his bum.

Sehun goes over to the window and pulls the blinds. Sunlight streams in and once their eyes adjust to the sudden influx of light, they both stare at the reflection of Junmyeon’s back in the mirror.

Silver. Junmyeon’s feathers are a beautiful, shiny silver colour (just grey, he’d modestly insist later) in the glow of the early morning. 

“You can’t be serious,” he chokes out. “I must be - ”

Sehun pinches him.

“Ouch, Sehun! What was that for?” his bandmate shrieks.

“I’m not dreaming,” the younger boy says in wonder. Somebody must have forgotten to tell him that people are supposed to pinch themselves, not others. Then he does a complete one-eighty and fanboys on the spot.

“This is so cool!” he babbles, waving his arms in delight. “Hyung, can I touch them? Please?”

Junmyeon face-palms. When he removes his hand a look of horror crosses his visage at the sight that greets him.

Sehun is pulling the kicked puppy face again.

"I didn't even say no," Junmyeon argued.

"You were about to," Sehun points out, and his leader knows he's lost.

Junmyeon sighs and turns around to let the maknae have his fun. He pinches the bridge of his nose and closes his eyes. “What am I going to do?” he wails. “This is not even normal.”

While he stews in his thoughts, Sehun is touching everything in sight. He runs his hands over the bony structure of the wing in fascination and caresses the soft, silver feathers with his fingertips. But when he can’t contain his excitement and tries to lean over so he can rub his face in the downy plumage, the left wing partially opens and whacks the maknae in the face.

“Sehun, don’t put your face there. It’s embarrassing,” Junmyeon chides. And then he stares. How.

“Do that again,” Sehun commands.

The leader’s brow creases in concentration. The other watches as both wings twitch slightly and then slowly, but surely, spread and fully extend.

They’re huge, Sehun thinks in amazement. At least six feet from the end of one wing to the end of another, the tips even stretch past Junmyeon’s hands.

“Sehunnie, it’s like having another pair of arms!” he gasps. The shock seems have to have worn off and now he is in as much of a daze as the younger boy. He admires himself in the mirror, angling each wing this way and that to watch the sunlight glint off them. He could get used to this. He’s already immune to weird things (Chanyeol) in their dorm.

Breathe, Junmyeon. Breathe.

“I can’t really relate to having another pair of arms, hyung,” Sehun pouts.

Junmyeon quickly pulls him into a hug, and without thinking he wraps his wings around the boy’s shoulders too. Sehun doesn’t think he’s ever felt such a secure hug. He likes this. He likes this very much.

“You’re so cool, hyung,” he nods.

Junmyeon feels a surge of pride because did Oh Sehun just obey him and say he was cool and yes that’s one kid down, three to go (Kyungsoo is fine the way he is).

Sehun corrects his slip of the tongue. “Oops, sorry. I meant this is cool– ” He holds out his arms to indicate the enormity of the current situation – "in fact this is just dsalkjfsl;!”

He ducks out of Junmyeon’s arms, fanboys his way out of their room and into the kitchen to tell everyone else before K’s leader can tell him to put some appropriate pants on.

~

Now that Junmyeon thinks about it, he probably should have forbidden Sehun to tell anyone else. 

He comes into the kitchen to find all the members chowing down cereal. Sehun and Jongin are flicking cornflakes at each other (the usual). Apart from that they all act as if nothing happened.

“Dance practice at two,” Junmyeon reminds everyone, and they all nod.

~

Junmyeon forgets about his wings during their dancing. He finds that they’re like clothes – hardly there until he thinks about them. He was worried they’d stand out but they're barely there if he wears a looses shirt. They lie almost flat against his back and sit folded in their default state.

When their manager allows them a ten minute break Junmyeon uses Sehun’s legs as a pillow, and the boy blinks in surprise.

“Hyung,” he says excitedly, “I can feel them!”

Junmyeon rolls over slightly to face him. “Feel what?”

“Yeah, Sehun, what’re you feeling up?” Jongin snickers.

Junmyeon is confused. Did Sehun not tell everyone this morning? Unless...

He decides to play the good leader. “Shush, Jongin,” he sighs, and the dancer goes to pester Kyungsoo instead. Seeing nobody else’s attention was on them, Junmyeon moves closer to Sehun. “Sehunnie, you have to think before you speak about this. What did you say to them at breakfast?”

Sehun tilts his head, seemingly contemplating his answer. “Nothing,” he says simply.

Well that explained why nobody reacted. “Really? Wasn’t that what you were doing when you charged out of our room?” Junmyeon asks, puzzled.

Indifferent Sehun suddenly becomes smiley Sehun. “I was about to. But then I thought about how I was the only one who knows. It’s like our little secret, right, hyung? I don't want to share,” he confesses shyly, and his cheeks turn a light shade of pink.

Junmyeon’s words get stuck somewhere in his throat and become non-existent. His faith in Oh Sehun may have been restored. But just a little, because brat!Sehun never sleeps.

~

Junmyeon is currently standing in front of his next issue. He's last to shower tonight he has all the time in the world to do this.

How do I do this? Should I scrub them with soap? How long will they take to dry? What if they stay wet for too long and grow mould?

Well, maybe not the last one. He shakes his head.

He pulls off his sweaty shirt and throws it in the hamper. It feels good to stretch his wings out and he hears some of the bones pop like knuckles. During spare moments – in the toilet, short breaks, waiting in line at the supermarket – he’d wiggle them under his clothes to improve his control. It wasn't that hard but more often than not he’d experience some incoordination and end up twitching one of his arms instead (he swore he’d never do it again while watching TV because Baekhyun had seen him making odd hand motions and just looked at him).

His left wing bumps into the wall of the small shower cubicle and he retracts it, tentatively extending it under the showerhead. He watches, enthralled, as the water hits the feathers and just rolls off.

Oh.

It occurs to Junmyeon that they have some degree of waterproofing, much like a bird's. So he throws off the rest of his clothes, steps in and the hot water runs out three minutes later.

~

“You smell like wet bird,” says Sehun, looking up from the book in his lap.

“Is that how you talk to all your elders?” his leader responds. "How am I supposed to dry them?"

Junmyeon wraps his towel around his waist and takes his shirt off. He flicks a wing (the proud result of ten minutes worth of practice) in the maknae’s general direction and cheers silently as droplets of water dislodge themselves and splatter Sehun.

Sehun wipes his face with his forearm. “Ew,” he mutters, but leans over to his bedside table, opens the second drawer and pulls out a… hairdryer?

Junmyeon’s face is a mix of Sehun, no and since when do you own a hairdryer?

“It’s Baekhyun-hyung’s.” The boy pats the spot on the bed next to him. “Sit down.”

K’s leader knows where this is going but it can't be that bad, can it? The two of them sit without a word, warm air of the hairdryer sifting through silver feathers, followed by Sehun’s fingers and excessive touching. Junmyeon starts nodding off until the younger nudges him awake and hands his shirt back to him.

“Thank– ”  Junmyeon suddenly narrows his eyes. “Why are there holes in my shirt?” he demands.

Sehun drops the scissors back into the pencil holder on his bedside table and gets into bed. He pulls the comforter up so only his eyes and nose peep out cutely. A blush dusts his hidden cheeks. “Just put it on,” he says, voice muffled.

Junmyeon does. He finds that the two slits in the back are located by his shoulder blades. With a bit of fidgeting he manages to coax his wings through, and feels a punch of guilt in the stomach for getting angry at Sehun in the first place.

Oh. He seems to be having a lot of these moments today. “Oh. Thanks, Sehunnie.” He smiles his trademark bedazzling smile and prepares to go to bed.

Soon after lights-out his mattress dips and Sehun is back in his bed, moulded to his back. His hands stray and end up in the silky feathers again.

He just wanted to touch them, goddammit. Junmyeon mentally face-palms.

“Hyung, I did some reading today,” Sehun whispers, breath passing over the nape of his leader’s neck. “Your bones are hollow. That’s why you’re so light.”

Junmyeon can almost hear the smile in the boy’s voice; the resurfacing of the youth the maknae had sacrificed for SM Entertainment, for training, for EXO. The boy who liked fantasy novels and Spyro and bubble tea with Luhan. He feels all warm and gooey inside.

"You could probably fly too.”

He turns his attention back to Sehun. “Let’s leave flying for another day,” he suggests warily. “I don’t think I’m ready to do anything like – Sehunnie, stop rubbing your face in my wings.”

The maknae ignores him and continues nuzzling his face in the softness.

“You’ll end up with it in your mouth tomorrow morning,” Junmyeon warns. He tries to push his face away with a wing but fails.

Sehun stops moving. “But you’re so fluffy.”

“...Please don’t describe me as fluffy.”

“It’s cool, then. Now you’re really Suho, hyung. Like a real guardian angel, right?”

"Well... I guess you could put it that it way. Now go to sleep."

 

Sehun wakes up the next morning with fluff in his mouth again.