Our beginning

A Musical Romance

It was weird that a person like me, who absolutely hated the idea of attending Yoojung’s singing group, was disappointed at how quickly it had ended. I was amazed at the music that this Jongsuk kid played. He was just brilliant. The sound that came from the piano was indescribable. I have never heard something so moving. I just couldn’t get the sound of the piano out of my head. The kid’s voices were also very beautiful and it surprised me that they could sing so well.

 The mothers around me were finally getting up and leaving. There were some that seemed to be hitting on me. I looked back at Jongsuk who was packing his books away. I quickly formed some excuses so that I could escape from them and got myself over to the piano. I confronted the boy.

‘Hey.’ , what did I want to say? I’m so god damn weird coming to him out of nowhere with nothing to say.

‘Hello. Are you interested in singing? Teacher Jung can help provide you with more information.’

‘No… umm I just wanted to say that the way you played … on the piano … it was pretty good.’ I sound like an idiot!

‘Oh, thank you very much for your compliment.’

The boy was grinning showing a set of wonderful white perfectly shaped teeth. His lips were also really cute. They looked so soft and… hang on. What was I thinking? I was staring at this guy’s lips. HIS LIPS!!! Was something seriously wrong with me?

At that moment Yoojung ran to us and immediately hugged Jongsuk. Huh? She pulled on his coat and pointed towards me.

‘This is my brother. He’s really an idiot. I hope you can help him so that he doesn’t have to be pulled out of the soccer team.’

I take everything good I said about that brat back. This was just humiliating. Jongsuk just laughed and bent down to the little girl.

‘I’ll do my best.’

What the hell did he mean by that? I didn’t look stupid and the teacher said that I had the ability to get really great marks. I’m sure I’m really handsome too. Didn’t all those mums who ambushed me play with my hair and touch my muscular arms? That had to count as something. Handsome people like me don’t look stupid right? … My self-confidence was dropping by the second.

Jongsuk stood up and faced me.

‘After choir practise tomorrow I’ll walk you and Yoojung home and we can study for an hour or two depending on how much time we need.’ His gentle smile made it hard for me to reply verbally. I just nodded.

‘Can’t you come over today?’

I didn’t know why she wanted him to come over so bad when it was me who was being tutored. She turned to me giving me her ‘Why don’t you back me up idiot?’ face. I turned to Jongsuk and asked if he just wanted to come over to my house as a way to thank him.

So here is this angel sitting in the middle of the room while Yoojung and I are scrambling around trying to clean the house. Jongsuk keeps trying to help out, but that’s just completely embarrassing. Usually I don’t care but today I must have been affected by the music pretty bad or something. Once we were done, I brought out dinner and placed it on the table. Jongsuk was really happy grinning and being really giggly. He seemed to be having a great time joking around with us. I noticed that Yoojung seemed really close to him as well. Before I knew it, it was already late and Yoojung had fallen off to sleep in Jongsuk’s lap. I quietly picked her up and placed her on her bed.

‘You really are a caring brother. I think that Yoojung is very lucky to have you.’

‘What do you mean? I’m just like any other brother really. All siblings are the same I guess.’

I turned over to see that Jongsuk was thinking sadly to himself. I wanted to change his mood.

‘The way that you are with Yoojung is just like a brother. She really is attached to you. Maybe you could give me some hints as to how to make her such a darling sister. Calling me an idiot, seriously.’

He was finally grinning.

‘I better leave before your parents get home. It’d be rude to stay for so long without their permission.’

‘Why be so informal? Anyway, my parents aren’t coming home for a while. They travel a lot together so I’m home alone with Yoojung.’

‘Even so I should leave. I have to get back home.’ He looked a little sorry about having to be the one to end our conversation but seemed like he desperately needed to go.

‘I guess I’ll see you tomorrow. I’m really lucky to have such a nice tutor.’

He turned back to me after reaching the door, gave me a cheeky grin and said, ‘I’m not as nice as you may think.’

He had closed the door behind him. It took some time before I could find the strength to move again. What was this warm feeling filling my chest? Maybe I was going to catch a cold. I quickly got myself ready for bed, but I was unable to sleep. I kept wishing that tomorrow would come sooner.