His alcoholic banana milk

A Musical Romance

One could assume that being with an angel would be bliss. I would feel some kind of god damn happiness. Yeah, you guessed it. It’s nothing like that at the moment. I’m walking behind my chirpy dongsaeng and that beautiful boy. They’re laughing as they imitate Teacher Kang being really strict. They’re in their own little world, a world that I can’t exactly jump into. Whenever I tried to I was teased mercilessly by that little brat. Finally we made it home. It was my turn now.

 

Smack

‘Yah, what the hell was that for?’ I massaged my head as I stared at the textbook in Jongsuk’s hands.

‘It’s wrong? Have you seriously forgotten how to add? You should have learnt this years ago!’ He had pursed his lips together, eyebrows slanting downwards.

‘Oh, sorry’, I quickly rubbed out part of the question.

I put in the correct answer and looked up at Jongsuk hoping for some sort of approval. He looked at the page and pointed at the next question. Jongsuk was a really good teacher so I learnt really quickly, but whenever I made a careless mistake he would show no mercy. He was right when he said he was not as nice as I thought. Even though I say that, I’m really glad that he came and is giving me some attention.

‘Your maths needs some work doesn’t it,’ Jongsuk said as he flicked through my workbooks.

He gave me a little smile, ‘Don’t worry. Maths is my forte. You’re actually quite smart. You just need to focus more. Put more hours of study into your week, okay?’

His head was slightly tilted to the side, innocent eyes looking straight through my soul. Again I could not find the words but nod in response. Jongsuk turned to his bag and placed a bottle of banana milk on the table.

‘Since you worked hard I’ll give you a reward. I’m told that you’re getting into a bad habit of drinking. You should drink this instead.’

‘Do you like it? The banana milk?’, the words flowed out of my mouth automatically. Jongsuk nodded his head.

‘It’s really sweet and reminds me of when I was a kid. I always drank it.’

I jumped up and opened a cupboard. I brought out two glasses and poured the milk into them equally. I handed one of the glasses to Jongsuk. He accepted it with his gentle smile. We both took a sip of the sweet drink. As he put his glass down I saw that he had milk still on his lip.

‘Yah, don’t you know how to drink milk properly?’ I laughed as I instinctively took my thumb and placed it on the corner of his mouth.

I stopped suddenly. That magical warm feeling was back but with it a fast beating heart. Maybe this is what happens when you touch an angel. Thinking about it, this was the first time I touched him. How could his lips be so soft and fluffy and …. The boy moved away giggling.

‘What are you doing idiot? You should be wiping your own mouth. You look like you’ve grown some kind of yellow moustache!’

I pulled my hand away from his lips and wiped my own. It was then that I realised what I had done. I used the same finger to wipe our lips. My heart was now pounding. What the hell was wrong with me? There was something strange about this boy. He really was an angel. Maybe a powerful one that could affect the way people could feel. I felt a soft push at my head. I grabbed my head in response.

‘Stop staring at your thumb and look at me when I’m talking to you', he said amused. ‘It’s not that embarrassing. Anyway, I have to leave. I’ve circled the questions I want you to do in your workbook. Have them done before I see you on Friday.’

‘But today’s Tuesday!’

‘Yes and yesterday was Monday’ Jongsuk replied coolly as he pulled on his jacket and got up.

‘Then why aren’t you coming tomorrow or the next day?’

‘There are no singing classes tomorrow. I’ll tutor you on Monday, Tuesday and Friday nights.’

‘Then do you want to come see me play soccer tomorrow?’, I scratched my head as I spoke. Hey, why do I need to scratch my head when it’s not even itchy? Yah, put your hand down now you idiot.

‘I’m not that free. I have a job so I won’t be able to come.’ Jongsuk chuckled at my persistence. He was probably thinking I had no friends.

‘Okay, I’ll do my work and get it done before I see you then’, I bowed to him from the waist my head facing the ground.

I felt that hand once again on my head as he ruffled my hair. He said some words as he left, but I couldn't hear them. I was frozen in place. Once I got back to my senses I looked at where Jongsuk had stood. Closing the door, I headed back towards my banana milk.

‘Omo, why are there so many questions circled? ’

I hit myself mentally. Why was my attitude so bad? This guy was spending his free time with me and not taking a single cent. He was even buying me banana milk. Instead I would get really good grades and make him feel proud. I thought of him grinning with that smile of his. The warm feeling was coming back.

I grabbed the empty bottle of banana milk and read the label. Maybe they were now putting alcohol in the banana milk. No wait, kids drank this thing. But why did I feel this way. Even though the angel was gone, his smiling image stayed in my head. Well what was the likelihood that banana milk contained alcohol nowadays rather than me just feeling this way on my own? I looked back down at the label and scanned it a few times. No alcohol.

Still, banana milk was now my favourite drink.