I'll protect her for him‏

I'll protect her for him‏

 

Taemin’s POV

 

"Yeboseyo Taemin-ah! Onew just came over to AS' photo shoot today." Jung Ah noona suddenly called me. 

 

I was already at home on my bed feeling so sluggish over today I didn't even perform well. And here comes Jung Ah noona bragging to me about something I didn't want to know. 

 

"He's kind of hurt that you didn't like his surprise. I was almost sure you'll love it too!" 

 

Of course you'll like his surprise. I would love it too if the subject of affection of Onew hyung was me. 

 

"Oh by the way, you see, he was there yesterday at the recording studio too and he saw us. But don't worry! I've already explained to him everything! I was just wondering how did you know about the pl-" she suddenly stopped, "Hey Taemin-ah, I'll call you later neh it's my turn now!" 

 

And with that she hung up. Onew hyung was in the same building yesterday? And he saw us?! Oh why now he's going to misunderstand. I hope Jung Ah noona did explain to him well! But then hyung would know I lied to him as well. I am so dead. I unknowingly began biting on my nails again, except that I didn't know that I kind of bit a little too deep blood was oozing. 

 

Just then the door of the dormitory slammed open. I peeped out from my room and by then I saw Onew hyung walking down the hallway with a not-so-happy face. Even after meeting noona? Must be because of what he saw yesterday. Hyung, I'm really sorry! 

 

Without a second thought I grabbed Onew hyung's wrist as he walked past me, avoiding my gaze, and pulled him into my room. 

 

"Look, Jinki hyung. I'm so-" he cut me off. 

 

My hands still clasping tightly on his wrists. 

 

"Taemin. Why did you lie to me?" Onew asked sternly.

 

It was as if he played no part in this. Who was my heart aching for? Who was my tears flowing for? 

 

I kept quiet and looked down. Tears were slowly wounding into my eyes. I gently let go of his wrists and took a step back. Hyung must be so upset at this. I never wanted to hold Jung Ah noona like that, all the more when I know enough that she's the one Onew is in love with. 

 

"Tell me, Taemin.  I thought you said we were more than that. Why the little secrets and lies between us? How did you think that made me feel?" 

 

I backed away as he approached me. 

 

"Jinki hyung! You were the one that kept a secret from me!" I found myself yelling. 

 

"You never told me you were dating Jung Ah noona? I thought I wasn't worth telling!" 

 

"And I was stupid enough to be afraid she'll be bullied by our fans, and I don't want someone you love to be hurt. I only met her so I could protect her when you're not around!" 

 

"I've been in love with you for the longest time! And you expect me to be pleasantly surprised that you are now dating someone else? Like it was something you've been waiting for. How did you think that made me feel?" 

 

With this I was already sobbing wildly. I couldn't keep my eyes open, my hands over my mouth to help muffle the cries. I now realise how much love hurts. My heart was bleeding, tearing apart. I didn't mean to show hyung how bothered I am with his new-found lover. I wouldn't want my weakness to stop Onew from pursuing Jung Ah. I'm so embarrassing. 

 

"Tae-Taemin. What did you say?" Onew asked so gently. 

 

I cried harder. Onew hyung would never accept me now that I've just confessed to him outright. He was never gay, and will never be. I hate myself so much. 

 

"Taemin. I love you, too." 

 

Wa-wait. What did I just hear? Was my heartbreak so deafening that I'm now hearing things? Hearing things that I actually want to hear? It must be. At a time like this, how can i expect to hear something like that from Onew hyung. How I wish those words were true. 

 

I found myself being embraced by the older man. His hair smells so good, his scent was what I want to be soaked in, the big warm hands gently holding me in, pulling me in tighter. Is this just comfort? It definitely wasn't helping to patch my heart. 

 

"Taemin. I didn't want to confess to you this way. I was planning a confession with Jung Ah noona for you, complete with flowers, balloons and fireworks, everything you like. She's one of the girl-friends that I was close with and also one that I could trust to tell my feelings I had for you." Onew rubbed my back with one hand, the other my hair. 

 

"That's why I couldn't tell you. But then Key told me something about you dating. You were so annoyed when I was in contact with Jung Ah and you even asked me for her number. My heart went crazy. It hurts so much to know that your first love wasn’t me. It pained me to know that you’re thinking about someone else. It to know someone else is making you happier.”

 

“I figured you actually like her but was worried for her safety. I only met her today just so I could protect her when you're not around." 

 

"Minnie, it was all a misunderstanding." 

 

This is all happening so suddenly. My head is spinning I can't even think right. This all feels so surreal. Am I mixing my fantasy with reality? I almost fought back helplessly when Onew pulled me away from him. But then I felt his soft lips on mine. His hands cupping my face, his eyes closed. 

 

I melted into his kiss and responded. I put my hands around his neck, tugging his hair. All the tiredness was instantly washed away, my heart fully treated and now even stronger. 

 

It was a beautiful misunderstanding. But if the story was otherwise, I would still protect her for him.