Reconciliations

Our Wounded Hearts

 

 

At the hospital:

MinHyuk POV:

I sat down at the bench and waited for whatever news. An hour have already passed and I couldn’t calm myself. I don’t have the ‘healing hankie’ that often calms me down because I thought I wouldn’t need it since I’m not that clumsy anymore. After more than eight years, I got this dire need of it this moment.

I looked at Kristine who was as agitated as I am sitting at another bench in front of me. Mr. Shin arrived. He looked so worried. Kristine came up to him and hugged him. She cried all her might. That’s when I realized maybe Kathy-shii was right, her sister still loved her. Mr. Shin began comforting her like a father to his worried daughter.

“Where is she?? Is she alright??” Mr. Shin asked me.

“The doctor hasn’t come out yet.” I replied. Then I and Kristine awkwardly looked at each other.

Soon the doctor came out. “Who are the relatives of Ms. Lee?”

The three of us went to him. “How is she doctor?” Mr. Shin asked him.

“She is critical although the bullet has already been removed… The bullet nearly pierced her heart, and it’s one of the fatal parts to be shot.. We still need wait. It’s up to her if she’d want to wake up. But if she won’t, I’m afraid she’ll be in coma and we can't tell when or if she'd still wake up. In the mean time we will send her to a room. You could encourage her to wake up.”

“Thank you, doctor” Mr. Shin replied to him.

 “Can we see her now?” Kristine asked. Mr. Shin and I were surprised to hear her.  The doctor nodded and went on his way.

“Miss Kristine, should we tell your Umma?” Mr. Shin asked her.

She sadly shook her head. “Aniyo. We shouldn’t. She’ll get hysterical if we do. She’s probably in a business meeting right now.”

“Arasseo. If that’s what you want.” Mr. Shin nodded at her.

After a few minutes passed, Kristine said, “I’ll go to her first.” Then she went to her room alone. I wanted to follow her but Mr. Shin stopped me.

“They need some time alone first.” I nodded understanding what Mr. Shin said and just waited at a bench near her room.

 

Kristine’s POV:

I slowly came to her room. My heart almost broke when I saw my sister lying on the hospital bed with wires connected to her body. Although I felt like my feet were heavy, I still continued to walk to her side. I held her left hand and gently caressed her hair.

“Why? Why did you have to save this rude sister of yours, eh??” I didn’t realize that tears were already flowing down my cheeks. “You could have just escaped… You could have just ignored me!” I tried to scold her.

“But you didn’t…” she looked down to Kathy’s calm sleeping face. “As much as I’m thankful that you’ve risked your life to save me, I regret leaving you there. I should have brought you with me. You wouldn’t have been shot if I hadn’t left you. I am a selfish sister, I never thought about your situation.”

I closed my eyes as I recalled all the harsh acts and words I told her starting from the day our Appa died. “I don’t deserve to be your sister, Kathy-ah. You always adjusted for me, giving me all that I want. In short, you spoiled your older sister.” She sadly continued.

“Kathy-ah… I know I’ve been the worst sister to you. All those years that you’ve lived with me were unbearable. I’m so sorry. I’m sorry for...blaming you for Appa’s death. I should’ve known better than to blame a two year old child for things she didn’t even wanted to happen. I’m so sorry for hurting you so much. Anger blinded me but what you did now cleared up my clouded mind.” More tears covered my face.

“So if you want to give me another chance, please wake up. I don’t want to lose a sister like you. I want to change.  I know I can’t be the perfect sister you have wanted but… please give me the chance to at least try to be like one. Jebal~ Please wake up..” I cried and cried until I fell asleep.

 

No one’s POV:

Two days already passed since the incident. Everyone waited until Kathy awake. But she still has not. Minhyuk and Kristine tried to avoid each other as much as possible. Both were still awkward though they take shifts in looking after Kathy. If it hadn’t been for Mr. Shin, they’d get really bored. They still went to school as Mr. Shin don’t want them not attending classes, telling them that Kathy would get sad if they do.

 

MinHyuk’s POV:

After the classes, I went directly to the hospital to visit Kathy-shii. It's the third day now but she has not woke up yet. I couldn't concentrate much on the lessons because I kept thinking about her. I was so tired and my eyes feels heavy.

“MinHyuk-ah…” I heard Kristine’s voice calling me. Then I woke up. I didn’t notice that I fell asleep in the couch in Kathy's room. She led me to seat at the two chairs beside her sister's bed. I saw her lying peacefully still oblivious to the fact that we are all worrying and waiting when she'll finally open her eyes. We sat on the two chairs beside Kathy-shii’s bed. This is strange; I could tell that she's nervous but still tried to talk with me.

“I have a story to tell you. Will you listen to it?” she told me but I didn’t gave her a reply. I continued to look at Kathy-shii.

“It’s alright. You don’t need to answer me.” I heard a hint of hurt in her voice but nevertheless she began telling a story.

“There was once a four year old boy who cried so much at the playground room. The playground was so crowded that children tended to push each other. That certain boy cried so much, but no one paid any attention at him. Except for one innocent little girl who happens to pass by him. She sat beside him and as soon as she realized the reason why he was crying, she asked him, ‘Ahjusshi, is it painful?’

My eyes went wide when I heard her mention the word ‘Ahjusshi’.  ‘Was the story she’s telling about…ME?’ I thought to myself as I looked at her with furrowed eyebrows. Kristine, knowing that she finally has my attention continued with the story.

“He then got mad telling her not to call him ‘ahjusshi’. However, the girl wrapped a hankie in his wounded elbow. She told him that it was a ‘healing hankie’ and right there he stopped crying and complaining. But another girl, about his age, came and dragged her away from him.  So the boy promised to himself that he would find that innocent girl, to thank her and maybe confess to her his feelings.”

She stopped and asked me, “Do you think it’s possible for the boy to fall in love at such an early age?”

“It’s possible”, I answered. ’Take it from experience’, I thought. Then I continued, “…especially when it was only her who gave him attention and care.”

 She slowly nodded. “But the girl did not fell in love with the boy…”

I suddenly stood up. “Wha--- So it’s not a happy ending then?”

She seemed surprised at my action and smiled a bit. “No. I’m not finished yet. Let me continue first.”

“Oh, sorry.” Feeling embarrassed, I sat back down to my chair.

“At that time, the girl did not feel love for the boy. She was so innocent to care of those things yet. But in another place and another time, they met again. And there she fell in love with him.”

I furrowed my eyebrows trying to recall whether I really met the girl again as to Kristine’s story.

But she continued on, “Nevertheless, the boy was oblivious to the fact that he had met her again. And so he continued his search for her not knowing that what he was looking for was already in FRONT of him.”

She then moved me to face Kathy-shii. The realization came up to me right at that instant. “Are you telling me that Kathy-shii is…”, I faced Kristine again.

“Aigoo—finally!”, she exclaimed happily. “She’s the girl you were looking for all those years. The loving, innocent and caring girl you met sixteen years ago. The reason you rejected half of the girl population in school. ” She lightly laughed when she uttered her last sentence.

“I...I don’t know if I should believe you again, Kristine.” I felt a little pang in my chest when I remembered how she fooled me. Kristine felt offended but she knew she deserved it.

“I know of it all, MinHyuk-shii” Mr. Shin joined in our conversation. He then entered and quietly closed the door. “Forgive me for my rudeness. But I heard all that she told you and they were all true, young lad. Kristine may have lied to you a lot of times before but now I think she wants to straighten out all her mistakes”, he added.

Kristine then fell on her knees crying. “Forgive me MinHyuk-ah! I’m so sorry for all the hurt I caused you and all that I’ve done to you.” She continued crying and begged me to forgive her. I closed my eyes for a few seconds and remembered what Kathy-shii told me when she gave me the book, “I could only forgive my sister when you have already have forgiven her.”

“You’re…" I choked but still continued, "...you’re forgiven, Kris-ah” I helped her to stand her up. “Your sister even asked me to forgive you that day when she learned that you broke up with me. She loved you so much and didn’t lose hope that someday you’ll change the way you treat her.” I honestly told her.

“I know. I’m feeling guilty for all the bad things I did to her…and I’m feeling so blessed that I have a sister like her.” She continued to sob and carefully wiped her tears.

 

 

 Then we heard a small yet fragile voice, “T—thank yo-you, Mi-MinHyuk-shii”

We were all surprised and directed our eyes back to the supposed to be sleeping patient. She faintly smiled at us.

“Agasshi!” “Kathy-shii!” “Sis!” we all exclaimed and went to her. “I’ll just call the doctor.”, Mr. Shin went out hurriedly.

Kristine firstly went near her. “O thanks God! How are you?” she held Kathy’s left hand, her voice full of care.

"Thank you for finally waking up. We were all so worried." I said as she looked back at me with a happy but weak smile.

"I'm sorry Kathy-ah.. I shouldn't have left you..I'm sorry for all the bad things I did to you." Kristine's tears run down her cheeks again. "I know you'd give me another chance and wake up" she said as she wipes her tears with her hands.

Kathy tried to reach out to her sister's face to wipe her Unnie's tears.“I—Unnie..I forgive you." Then tears flowed from Kathy’s cheeks too.

Kristine and I were alarmed so she asked her, “Why? Is your wound painful?”

She shook her head. “Ani- I’m just so happy right now. Thank you Unnie. Thank you so much.” Then Mr. Shin came with the doctor. The doctor made a few tests on her and made sure that she’s fine already. But the doctor said she’s still in need of rest.

 

Kathy’s POV:

 

Morning came. It was just me and Minhyuk-shii in the room now because Unnie and Mr. Shin went out a bit to get food. Silence filled the room until I decided to break it. 

“Minhyuk-shii, gwenchanayo? You’ve still got a few cuts and bruises on your face and arms.” I asked him.

“I—I’m f—fine.” Why is he stuttering? Is he nervous?

“Aren’t those painful?” I continued to ask him curiously. “You should’ve made the doctor check up on you too.”

I tried to sit down but struggled. He helped me but I got conscious when I realized that our faces were only a few inches apart. He soon realized that too and we backed away from each other. I blinked a lot of times at him still processing what just happened.

We got awkward. Aigoo! What is really going on? We weren’t this awkward before!.. Unless maybe he…he already knows that I'm in love with him!? Aishh..Unnie must have told him..Or Mr. Shin.. Otteokeyo?!..

“Uhm.. Did Unnie tell you something?” I mentally prayed that she didn’t.

“Uh—Actually, she did.” He rubbed the back of his neck.  “At first I didn’t believed her but Mr. Shin told me that it was the truth.” I told her as I sat back to the chair beside her bed.

‘Waahhhh! Jinjayo???’ My eyes widened in shock. Come to think of it, maybe Unnie told him something before I woke up hearing Unnie asking his forgiveness.

MinHyuk’s POV:

Now that I’m seeing her without her eyeglasses, I recognize her face. Her doe-eyes are still the same since we were children. She’s still the innocent girl I met. I'm  getting stressed and nervous here since I’m the one to confess. I sighed deeply and gathered up my courage.

“I know you heard the rumors in school about the reason I turned down every girl who confessed to me. That was because I already met the girl I wanted to be with when I was four years old.” She listened intently to me but I noticed her flinch a bit when I mentioned the girl.

 “The reason I fell in love with her was because she gave me her care and attention when no one else did. Since that day I vowed to tell her the day when we meet again that I’m grateful and that I love her. I kept on searching for her for sixteen years.”

I caressed her left hand and looked her in the eyes. “And now… I have found her.” I looked at Kathy’s eyes.

 “It’s you, Kathy-shii.” She seemed surprised.

“A-are you serious?” she asked me.

“Yes and that was what your Unnie and Mr. Shin told me. I saw here the proof.”  I showed her the handkerchief I saw inserted in one of the pages of the book she gave me. “This was the ‘healing hankie’ she gave me. But I didn’t know that I have given it back to her when we have met accidentally one night when she was chased by a dog.” Then we both laughed at that memory.

I stood up from my seat and knelt on one knee. “Will you accept my heart? Would you be my princess forever?” I asked her with most sincerity I have.

“You know you’re already my knight. If you want to become my prince…” She smiled at me. “Of course I’d love to!”

I hugged her tightly. “Ahhh..Ouch!..Minhyuk-shii, please be careful of the wound” I heard her tell me.

“Omo..I’m sorry. I’m really sorry.. I think I just got excited a bit.” I laughed sheepishly. She just smiled.

I reached for the ‘healing hankie’ and tied it neatly and gently in her ring finger. She smiled shyly at the gesture. Then she tried to look for something. “Is something wrong?” I asked her.

 

Kathy POV:

“I couldn’t find my----“

“Are you looking for this Sis?” I saw Unnie smiling at the door with the thing I was looking for—the handkerchief I embroidered MH with.

She gave it to me. “This one’s yours I guess.” The smirk on her face before was replaced by a genuine smile now. “Kamsahamnida, Unnie.”

“Wasn’t this the hankie your Unnie gave me?” he asked, puzzled.

“Honestly, it was mine. Actually, I made this handkerchief. I wanted to give this to you in lieu of the hankie you gave me. A 'thank you' gift to be exact. And to make it more unique, I embroidered MH in it."

"But Unnie just seemed to like it so she took..” Unnie and I both smiled at each other. “---I mean she borrowed it.” I continued.

I gently tied the hankie in his ring finger as he did with mine.

“This was blood-stained right? How did it become so white now?” MinHyuk asked again.

“She personally washed that hankie, determined not to leave a single stain of blood in it.” Mr. Shin popped inside the room.

I smiled sheepishly at him. "Yeah, I did." He seemed touched with what he heard.

 

“Uh—Mr. Shin, Kristine-ah, I want to tell something to Kathy-ah, please wait outside for a bit.” Like a child, he dragged the two outside and closed the door. He acted like ‘whew’.

“Oppa… you looked like a child.” I tried to hide my laughter but he was just too cute.

“What child?! I---w-wait, did you just call me oppa?” a smile threatening to come out in his face.

“Oh-did I?” I playfully smiled. “Aniyo—I thought I called you ‘AHJUSSHI’, haha” I know how much he hates being called like that.

“Aishh..Jeongmal!” But later on he smiled. “You better stop calling me ‘Ahjusshi’. You should call your boyfriend, Oppa from now on.”

“Or else?”, I continued to .

“Or else I’ll pinch your cheeks SO HARD until it gets red! Haha”

“Choding.” I whispered and smiled to myself.

 

From his seat he got up and sat down beside me on the hospital bed. He lovingly stared at me.

“I’m already healed.” He said suddenly. “You have helped me heal myself…my wounded heart by the book you gave me, the ‘healing hankie’ and by your presence.”

“I’m healed too Oppa.” I said, smiling back at him. “Finally our wounded hearts healed.”

“You know”, he said as he looked at the hankies tied in our ring fingers. “These hankies were the reasons we both met, the healing hankie when we were children and the blood stained hankie a few days back” he continued.

“Neh, oppa.” I put my hand on top of his hand. “And they are the reasons now that were together.” He then hugged me again, now not so tight, thinking that my wound might hurt again.

“I love you, my bookworm princess.” He whispered to me.

“I love you too, my prince ahjusshi.” I whispered back at him.

 

-End-

---------------

Whow..that was the last and the longest chapter!^^ Hope everyone liked it..

Honestly, I thought of a sad ending..But since this is my first fanfic, I wanted it to have a happy ending:))

Anyways, my dear readers, thank you so much for reading and for the support.

I nearly gave up on this story and thought that it might not be good enough for people to be interested to read it.

But thanks to all of you, my hopes rose up again! I thank you all so much for it^^

@lorime: Yeah she was. Her sister was the last person that would come to her mind to save her. Anyways, Thank you so much for reading and for always leaving your comments. They were all much appreciated. Hope you liked how it ended^^ 

@SimplyJenchi: Thank you so much for the support chingu!^^ You have always there for me especially when I'm feeling down. You never knew how much I'm thankful to have you as my chingu.. I'm sorry that I couldn't do anything to cheer you up now and it makes me sad. Be strong chingu~

To all those who subscribed, thank you so much!^^ You all made me feel overwhelmingly happy.

And to all SILENT readers, I'm still thanking you...I'm still happy to know that you were all reading my story. Hope you all liked it..^^

Please continue to support me and my future stories.. Thanks a lot!^^

Lovelots, 

 

MaiYuki_628129