My Broken Heart

Our Wounded Hearts

 

 

Kathy POV:

I sighed as he asked what unnie has done to me.   “My unnie…She...” , I looked down and continued. “.. took my first love and made him hers.” I looked directly at his eyes. I’m wishing that you’d get what I really mean.

Then my phone rang. “Kriiiing!!” I reached to my pocket and answered the call.

“Yoboseyo?”

 

MinHyuk POV:

Then her phone started ringing. She answered it. I heard a man’s voice in his late forties, I guess, reply to her.

“Miss Kathy…are you finished buying your books?”

“Mr. Shin, I’m sorry to keep you waiting. I’ll be there in a minute. Mianheyo again.” she ended the call.

She bowed to me. “Uhm..MinHyuk-shii, I’ll be going. Mr. Shin is already waiting for me. Uhm..here take this.” She reached something in her paperbag and gave a book to me.

“Wha—“ I tried to ask her but she interrupted me before I continue.

“Please read that book. I hope it helps you. Annyeong!” Then she bowed again.

I just looked at her as she tried to run fast not to keep their chauffeur waiting so long. Like lightning she came and went. I looked at the book she gave me. Healing Your Broken Heart it said. I scratched the back of my head. “Aigooo---Should I really read this?” It won’t hurt to try, I guess. So I headed back home. But the things the girl told me were left in my head.

Kathy POV:

After I give a book and said my goodbye to him, I ran towards the area where Mr. Shin is. I told him to park near a bakeshop, a few meters away from the bookstore. Later, I found our car and he assisted me to get inside it.

 He would always disagree at first (regarding the parking area cause he dreads making me walk such a distance) but since he knows I need some fresh air and after a few more pleading he would just agree. Mr. Shin has been with my family long before I was born and he knows me very well. He’s like the second father to me.

“Kathy-yang, I saw you talking with—“

“Neh, Mr. Shin.”, I interrupted him.

“So have you confessed already?” he teased me as he continued to drive.

“Aniyo!” ,shaking my head. Then I frowned as I recalled what I have just known. “Unnie broke up with him.”

“Then, you should be happy.” He glanced at me through the mirror of the car. He didn’t seem to be surprised at all.

I became silent for a while. “This is all my fault. Unnie did that because she wants to hurt me..” I clenched my fist on top of my knees as tears flowed down from my face.

Appa died because he saved me from a swerving car back when I was still two years old. Umma and Unnie saw with their two eyes as Appa went to the middle of the street and pushed me to the other side. The bump was so severe and he died even before arriving at the hospital. We were all crying relentlessly.

Ever since, Unnie has always been hard to me. Although I’m two years younger than her, I was always the one who adjusted to her. Whatever she wants, she GETS.  She would always make me feel inferior to her and that she doesn’t care about me. That’s the reason I’m so scared of her to the extent that I’m trembling whenever I hear her voice or whenever I see her, like a weak student to her terror teacher.

“It not your fault agashi.. Your unnie has always blamed you for your Appa’s death but it was NOT your fault.” Mr. Shin said.  He has always been there for me especially when I’m crying because of unnie’s harsh words and acts.

“Instead of crying, you must be happy. ‘Cause MinHyuk-shii won’t be fooled any longer and he’s already free. All you need to do is help him heal his broken heart.” Mr. Shin continued to advise me.

“Should I?? Can I?” Should I really be happy? I lifted my eyes from the handkerchief and looked through the window. I saw him walking on the streets; the book was in his hands.

“I’m glad you didn’t throw it. MinHyk-shii, after you’ve forgiven her, only then I’d be able to forgive her. Saranghaeyo, my knight in shining armor.”

As our car passed through him, I stared at the blood stained handkerchief as I recalled the things that happened one year ago.

 

Flashback

I walked happily towards my classroom one early morning. I met many students from other classes talking with each other, “They’re a match made in heaven!”, “That’s just so R-O-M-A-N-T-I-C!”, “I wanted to have a lovestory like theirs!”, "A kingka matches with a queenka!"

I just looked at them and wondered what they were talking about. Still I continued to walk on until I bumped to a crowd. I tried to take a peep to what was the commotion all about. In the middle, I saw Unnie and…MinHyuk, my first love. They were facing each other and look like they were talking about something. I gulped, ‘What are they talking about?’ I feel my heart pierced by several daggers but I try to listen to their conversation. 

“Are you--- really ‘her’?” I saw MinHyuk’s astonished face but his eyes were bright with excitement. I heard murmurs around, ‘So she was the reason MinHyuk has turned down every girl who asked him out!’ Rumors around the school said that MinHyuk is not interested of any girl coz he already has his heart given to a certain girl he met when he was still a child. And everyone thinks that its Unnie.  I know that rumor, it hurt me for a while. But I’m just contented loving him at a distance. I didn't know the girl was my sister.

Unnie just nodded and smiled at him. She reached for his right hand and tied a white cloth in his palm. After that MinHyuk hugged her. It seems like he recognized the cloth tied in his right palm. I felt my eyes start to water as I see my love hug my sister. His smile was never bright as they were now. So I slowly retreated from there and continued my way to my classroom.

The classes were finished and everyone else scattered around. One by one, they went out until I was the only one left. Silence followed after I finished organizing my things back to my bag.  I sat back at my seat which was at the cornermost back part of the classroom. I looked out the window and no matter how I try to hold the tears back, still a few escaped. I removed my eyeglasses.

“Gwenchanayo?” A deep voice full of concern startled me. I tried to wipe my tears with my hands but..

“Here.” He handed me his white handkerchief. I looked at him wavering. “Go ahead.” Though my vision’s blurred a bit I saw him smile at me assuringly. So I took his offer. He took the vacant seat in front of me. After wiping my tears I put my glasses back on. I was about to give it back when I realized who it was.

“Mi---MinHyuk-shii” I stuttered.

“I’m sorry if I disturbed you but I heard you crying and just decided to enter this classroom.” he told me.

“It’s okay.. Kamsahamnida!” and I bowed at him. The hankie in my hands felt familiar. I recognized the embroidered name I had put on it. “Thi—This hankie is---“, I stuttered again.

“My girlfriend gave that to me. She embroidered those MH initials.” He proudly told me.

‘But I was the one who embroidered this.’ I thought to myself. Then I remembered the happening this morning. Then he saw my ID.

“You have the same last name.” He seemed a bit surprised. “Are you somewhat related to Lee Kristine?”

I nodded. “She is my elder sister”

“Is that so?” He stood up and stretched his hand out to me. “Nice meeting you dongsaeng! I’m Kang MinHyuk.” He cheerfully introduced himself.

“I’m Lee Kathy.” I took his handshake. ‘Is this really a dream?!’ I screamed in my head.

“Jagi!” a voice from the door disturbed our conversation. I trembled from where I was and for sure it was my sister. She went to his side and clinged at his right arm. “I’ve been looking all over for you. Sorry to keep you waiting ‘til I finish my tutorials.” She caught sight of me and fakely smiled. “Oh, you’re here” pertaining to me. I just looked down on the floor.

She faced MinHyuk, “How about let’s eat out today? Kaja!” but before being dragged out of the room by Unnie he looked back at me.

“Kathy-ah, do you want to come with us?”

I looked at him then at unnie. I know she wants to be alone with him so I declined. “Aniyo, MinHyuk-shii. I’m sorry but I need to go home early cause I have assignments to do. Just enjoy your dinner together.”

“Ahm. Okay. Maybe next time. Anyeong!”

They both went out of the room.

After a few minutes, I was ready to leave. I closed the door of the room when I was startled again by unnie’s voice.

“Yah!”

 “Unnie, I thought you left already.” My eyes were on the floor.

“Give the handkerchief back!” she yelled at me.

“He-here..” I gave it to her. “But unnie, that was mi---“

“Ah-ah” she swung here forefinger left and right. “This is already mine, and I gave it to him already. You saw it right?” She walked to towards me.

I stepped back until I bump to the wall. She whispered in my ear, “Just the same as I MADE MINHYUK MINE” stressing on the latter part of her sentence. Then she left.

End of Flashback

 

“Agashi were already here.” I heard Mr. Shin gently told me. Maybe I was so tired that I didn’t get to realize that I fell asleep on the one hour ride home. 

 

------

A/N:

I updated just like what i said yesterday. So how was it? This story will have five chapters so, it'll be finished soon.

 This was supposed to be a oneshot but i realized that it's too long to be a oneshot. keke..

See you 'til my next updates:))

 

-MaiYuki_628129