Knight in Shining Armor

Our Wounded Hearts

 

 

Kathy POV:

I’m already on my way to school. Unnie and I don’t go together. She prefers to go on her own using another car. Maybe she can’t handle being with me in one place, especially as crowded as a car. Honestly, I get relieved this way. At least I won’t be trembling all the way to school. However, I still long for an affectionate and loving sister. It’s Mr. Shin who would always bring and fetch me from school.

“Uhm…Mr. Shin” I hesitated asking but still continued, “..next time, can I go to school by walking?”

“Agasshi, you know I wouldn’t let you AGAIN. It’s for your own safety.” He replied as he continued drivng.

“Arasseo. I understand.”

 

Flashback

Back when I was still ten, I used to walk home from school. One time, classes were off late and it was already dark outside. I got lost because I couldn’t clearly see the street signs.That's the time I realized that I'm actually near-sighted. I started feeling cold. Where am I? I was so afraid and I panicked. I didn’t know where I should go so I ran trying to search out familiar signs around. Instead, I found an angry dog behind me. And a big one, too.

 “GRRRRrrrrRR.. Arrrff, arrrfff,arrrff!” the dog's blazing eyes were piercing at me.

Mr. Shin, please come and find me…Ppali!

‘Otteokeyo!’ I panicked and ran. I did not exactly know why I ran, but still did. I’m not a fast runner and I have never run like this ever in my whole life. It felt like I run for a hundred meter dash! Unfortunately, I tripped after a few meters. But I still tried my best to get up and continued to run. Of course I will, because its either I stay there and get bitten by the dog or get up and still find an escape. I’d prefer the second option.

But when I turned right, I bumped  someone. I hid behind him, “Otteokeyo! Ahjusshi, help me please!!” I panicked. He seemed confused but when he saw the dog running towards our direction, he quickly picked up stones and threw it at the direction of the angry dog. I did the same and soon the dog (though still angered) backed away.

I felt my strength leave me as I sighed in relief. I continued panting so much since I haven’t ran in a long time. He turned to me and asked, “Gwenchanayo?” I just nodded at him while I’m still panting. He led me to the side of the street and we sat there. Soon I was able to catch my breath.

He noticed my wounded knee. “Oh, you have a wound.” That’s when I saw my bleeding knee.

“Maybe I got this when I tripped while that dog was after me.” I replied at him and smiled sheepishly.

He reached for something in his pocket. It was a white cloth and he began tying it in my wound.

I took a glance at the person who helped me. I noticed that he is much taller than me and maybe older too. As I continue observing his features I noticed how his eyes were so chinky. This boy…though he doesn’t know me, yet he helped me. I felt my heart beat the same way like when I was chased by the angry dog a while ago. But I was not running! What is happening to me? I was just here sitting beside…beside…my Knight in shining armor. I put my right hand on top of my chest, exactly where my heart is. It’s frantically beating so fast. Am I having a heart attack??

Then I came back to my senses. “Omo! You don’t need to do that.” I stopped him from tying the hankie. “It’s white, and your handkerchief might get ruined.”

He chuckled at my reaction. “It’s okay” he said. He finished tying it and looked at me then smiled.

‘Omo, he’s smiling so much! I’m really going to have a heart attack if he won’t stop that!’ I screamed in my mind.

“A friend gave me this” referring to the hankie he tied in my wound. “You might think it’s childish but she said that the hankie heals. My wound healed fast, and I’m sure it’ll heal yours too.”, assuring me.

I looked down on the ground. What this boy just did made me remember Appa. I think he noticed my reaction so he then asked me, “Waeyo? Is something wrong?” I was startled.

“Aniyo” I shooked my head. “What you did just a while ago has reminded me of my Appa. He did that to me, too when I was nearly two years old.” I felt my eyes watery but I tried to fight the tears. Too bad Appa passed away too soon.

He scratched the back of his head. “Erm..You know, I was so confused when you suddenly bumped into me and asked for my help.”

My eyes widened as I remembered that I have bumped him a while ago, “Oh! Jeosonghamnida!”. I bowed at him.

“It’s okay, really. Uhm.. are you living around here? Sorry but it’s the first time I saw you.” He asked me curiously. Just as I was about to answer him…

“Agasshi!” I heard Mr. Shin’s voice.

“Mr. Shin!” I stood up from where I was seated and ran towards him. He hugged me and that’s when I started to cry. I was waiting so much for him to finally find me especially when that angry dog chased me.

“Where were you?” he broke the hug and asked me calmly.

“I’m so sorry but I got lost” I pouted as I looked down.

“I was so worried about you. Good thing your Umma hasn’t come back yet from her business meeting in Paris… Who is this young lad here?” I couldn’t answer Mr. Shin. We haven’t asked each other’s name yet.

He then led me inside our car and gave me a drink to calm me down. From inside I saw him talking with the chinky-eyed boy. He thanked him for saving me and gave him a box of my favorite chocolates. The boy did not want to accept it at first but Mr. Shin insisted, telling the younger that it’s me who wanted to give it to him. Although I can’t hear what they’re saying, I can still tell through their actions.

Then Mr. Shin went back inside the car and sat at the driver’s seat. “I’m sure you won’t mind that I gave him a box of your favorite chocolates, right?” he asked me through the front mirror.

“Aniyo. I don’t mind, Mr. Shin. I’m so grateful to him.” I smiled.

“He’s such a well-mannered lad. Am I right, Agasshi? By the way, he said his name is Kang MinHyuk.” then he started the engine.

I blushed as I remembered his very cute eyesmile. “Ne-Neh, Mr. Shin” Thank you for telling me his name, I won’t foget it, I thought to myself.

“He said it was so funny coz you called him ‘Ahjusshi’ all of a sudden”. Then he laughed heartily.

“Honestly, Mr. Shin, I didn’t know why I called him that either.” I scratched my head, “I just did that…automatically? keke” 

Then I heard his voice, “Annyeong Chingu-Agasshi!” He was full of smiles while waving. He was standing a few meters away from where our car was.

I opened the window of our car and waved back, “Kamsahamnida! Bye Minhyuk-shii!”

That’s how I met my first love. Was it romantic? Maybe it was or was not. But even if I would be given the chance to change anything, I wouldn’t... Although he doesn’t remember me anymore. Maybe because I wasn’t wearing glasses when we met before and I wasn’t able to tell him my name. It was already 8 years back, should I expect him to remember that?

 

After the classes that day, I was left alone in the classroom again. ‘Nothing new’ I thought as I sat back my chair. I glanced at my pink-colored wristwatch, “It’s a bit early to go home yet. Maybe I’d just start doing my assignments now.” Time flew by when I realized it’s already 7:00PM. I decided to put back my things to my bag to get ready to go home.  Silence was starting to deafen me. It seems like all the students and teachers went home already.

I was then alarmed when I heard screaming and noises like people fighting. ‘What was that??’ Upon hearing noises from outside, I looked through the window to the wide field. It was dark and if not for a lamp post standing near the mango tree I won’t notice that there were actually people out there. My eyes went wide when I saw MinHyuk fighting a swarm of gangsters.

 I was about to rush to where they were when I heard a voice shouting, “Yah, let go of me! You ugly gangster! Ahhh!”

 I trembled upon hearing it, ‘That was my sister!!!’ I scanned through the people in the field again and saw Unnie being held by one of the gangsters, squirming all her might to escape.

I searched my bag for my cellphone not even attempting to leave my sight from them. I was about to call the police when I realized my phone had just run out of battery. I’m worrying so much about MinHyuk-shii and Unnie.  So I rushed to the field to where they were. I didn’t care about anything else, all I want to do is to save MinHyuk and Unnie.

‘What are you doing Kathy-ah?! It’s not like you have an amazing ability in martial arts that you can beat all those gangsters.’ I looked around and scanned the surroundings for the thickest branch I could find.

I finally arrived at where my Unnie is first. I decided to hide at the bushes until I get the right timing to save Unnie.

“Yah! I said let go of me!” Unnie said as she tried to pry the thug’s hand off her arm.

“You can’t escape me little Missy. It’s your fault being that scoundrel’s girlfriend!” he sneered at her.

She rolled her eyes at him feeling exasperated, “How many times do I have to tell you!? Were no longer together! Plus he hates me!” I heard her tone get sad when she said the last sentence.

“Whatever!! But still he CAME! What matters to us is to get our revenge on him!” then he laughed evilly.

“Hyuk-ah!! I believe I told you to not care about me! I dumped you, I have hurt you!” she shouted to Minhyuk.

“Yah! How can I not come? When I know that I’m the reason these goons tried to kidnap you!” Minhyuk shouted back at Unnie while dodging a punch.

 I saw her eyes became filled with worry as she glanced at Minhyuk struggling to fight the 20 gangsters. Although he is so skilled in fighting, he can’t deal on them all at the same time. He gets punched and kicked a few times but still continues to fight.

I felt my heart ache at the sight…Maybe though Unnie left him, she fell in love with him. How can anyone not fall for him? Especially someone who got to be his first girlfriend.

The gangster again turned to Unnie, “Hmm..I think you’re beautiful Missy…I think were much compatible than you and your ex there.” He caressed my Unnie’s face as she shrieked.

I can’t let my feelings get the most of me right now; I need to save my sister. And I gotta do it fast.

Slowly I tiptoed behind the gangster and hit him with all my strength. The gangster fell down and Unnie was free.  Good thing the other goons did not notice that one of them was down already. My sister was so surprised to see me. “Kathy-ah… You-you saved me?” she said not half-believing what had just happened.

“Unnie… Gwenchanayo?” I checked her arms and saw a few bruises. She still seemed stunned from what happened. “Unnie, run now. Use the nearest payphone to call the police, ppali!” I whispered as I instructed her though I’m still trembling.  

“But what about Minhyuk?” she asked me.

“I’ll help him.” I told her that but I didn’t know exactly what to do to help him.

“But how??” she impatiently asked me.

“Unnie!! Just go, okay? I can’t bear to let you be at the hands those thugs again.” She nodded and just did what I told her.

Gripping the branch of the tree I hit one of the 20 gangsters aiming at Minhyuk who was now on the floor being kicked mercilessly. They were surprised to see me, especially Minhyuk.

But the next thing that happened was more surprising. We all heard a gunshot and next thing I knew my chest was bleeding. I was shot by the gangster I hit first to free Unnie. He was still on the ground but managed to pull his gun and shoot me. I never thought that he’d wake up that fast.

I fell down on my knees as I felt the pain of the gunshot pierced through my body. MinHyuk caught me in his arms. I struggled through my breath. “G-Gwen-Gwenchanayo, Mi-MinHyuk-shii?” I still managed to ask him.

“Yah! How can you think of others when you’re the one here who’s bleeding!” he scolded me.

I then heard police siren and thanked God my sister called them fast. Now, I’m at peace.

“It’s the police!!! Palli! Let’s get out of here!!” one of the gangsters said and then they all scurried away.

 Everything went black but I still managed to hear my sister and Minhyuk calling out to me.

“Omo! Kathy-ah!!! Please wake up!.. Someone please help my sister! Help us!”

 “Kathy-shii!!! Aisshhh!..Don’t close your eyes! Call the ambulance, hurry!”

 

------

End of Chapter 4..

Thank you so much for  reading and subscribing chingus^^

Please look forward to the next chapter coz it'll be the last one..

I know I just started writing this story, but I can't let my readers wait too long for updates. I know won't able to update regularly. Because I'll be busy sooner or later. So as much as possible, I want to keep this short..

My dear readers, I hope you'll understand. Thank you so much for the support!^^

The story already has a poster! Yay!^^ thanks to liyar120397

 @lorime: Minhyuk will, soon. Thanks a bunch for the comment and for reading!^^

@SimplyJenchi: I'm so glad you liked the update^^ keep on reading chingu, cause the story is near its ending.

 

Lovelots,

MaiYuki_628129