An Alternate Reality

For Never Was a Tale of Greater Woe Than This of Ji Hyo & her Nero

“Seong Im ah!” Young Jee skipped towards her newfound friend.

 

“Ahh, Young Jee ah!” Ji Hyo replied, beaming. “You're here.”

 

“Mmm! Why haven't you ordered? Haha! Let's go get our drinks now!”

 

Ji Hyo nodded and they both proceeded to the counter to place their orders.

 

“One Americano for me! Young Jee ah, what do you want?”

 

“Neh? Ahhh, Mochachino! Thank you, Seong Im ah!”

 

Young Jee noticed that Ji Hyo was paying for their drinks, a very generous offer. In fact, she noticed a lot of things. She noticed that Ji Hyo would stick her tongue out while laughing, a habit that she thought was cute. She also noticed that Ji Hyo carried a journal around religiously.

 

 

“Seong Im ah, why do you carry such a heavy journal around?”

 

“Ah, that. Um, I guess it's because I feel somewhat insecure without it.”

 

“Ahh, do you write a lot?”

 

Ji Hyo nodded her head shyly in reply.

 

“About what?”

 

Ji Hyo was shocked at the blunt question.

 

Noticing Ji Hyo's reaction, Young Jee immediately apologised. “Ah, i'm sorry. That was rude of me.”

 

Young Jee then knew it was something of importance. Even though she didn't mean to pry, she really wanted to know what was in that journal. Maybe it contained something that would help enlighten Young Jee on Ji Hyo's actual situation. Then, Young Jee would know how to go about helping Ji Hyo overcome her difficulties.

 

“Maybe I should just ask her,” Young Jee thought, “But what if she doesn't want to talk about it...she would become more secretive then.”

 

“Young Jee ah...I...I'm not ready to talk about it yet. When I am, I'll let you know. Is that okay?” Ji Hyo bit her lower lip in embarrassment.

 

“Ah...yes. I'm so sorry.” Young Jee grinned sheepishly. “I'll tell you about my past then. So that our relationship works both ways. It's not pleasant...and i'm sorry if it bothers you. But, I feel we both should share things about ourselves, so that we get to know each other. But after this, we'll go to the amusement park, deal?”

 

Ji Hyo responded to this with excited nods.

 

 

And so, Young Jee begun to tell her tale of woe. Young Jee was orphaned at a tender age of 10. Her parents committed suicide after falling into bankruptcy. As Young Jee puts it, “They were too much of a coward to take responsibility for their own actions.” So, for the past 5 years, Young Jee has been on her own. She was originally placed in an orphanage, but she ran away after being mistreated by the male staff. Now, she lives in the school campus, unknown to the authorities and her schoolmates.

 

“Young Jee ah...” Ji Hyo interrupted. “Come stay with me. It's not big but I would love if you would stay with me. I would be less lonely then.”

 

Taken aback by her comment, Young Jee gasped. “Yah! For real? That would be awe- that would be nice. Hahaha. Uh- But, wouldn't your parents mind?”

 

아니...I'm practically an orphan too. An orphan of the night. Haha.” Ji Hyo joked.

 

Noticing the subtle frown on Young Jee's face, Ji Hyo apologised immediately. “Sorry. That wasn't funny. What I meant was that my parents are hardly at home. I only see them on the weekends. And when they're home, they're too busy arguing to notice me. So I guess if you hide yourself well in my room, it shouldn't be an issue.”

 

 

 

Thus, instead of heading to the amusement park, they went to the school campus to collect Young Jee's belongings. After which, they went back to Ji Hyo's parents' place. In Ji Hyo's room, there were many posters of Kim Jong Kook of Turbo.

 

“yah, I never knew you liked Kim Jong Kook!” Young Jee started to jokingly friend.

 

“ah...don't you think he's cute?” Ji Hyo shyly replied.

 

“cute? Yah! You have really bad taste...Kim Jong Kook is so scrawny and dorky! He isnt very handsome either...”

 

Ji Hyo shrugged her shoulders. She didn't want to tell her friend the real reason for her inclination to this man. In sooth, she knows that Kim Jong Kook's outer appearance is not appealing.

 

 

Meanwhile, Young Jee has begun exploring every part of Ji Hyo's room, which was rather big indeed. At the corner of the room, Young Jee noticed a well camouflaged cabinet and being curious, she tried to open it.

 

“yah! Your cabinet can't be opened!”

 

“ah...I could never open it either. Just leave it. I'll show you something else.” Ji Hyo lead Young Jee to her closet.

 

“Eh? You're showing me your clothes?”

 

“No....it's a secret.”

 

Ji Hyo pushed aside her clothes, revealing another hidden door.

 

“Yah! Is it Narnia yah?” Young Jee naively gasped.

 

“hahaha! 아니...this will be your room. Behind this door is another room. I discovered it when i was young. My parents did not notice it when we moved in....so I hid inside here when they come home drunk. I do a lot inside here...I read, I write, I dream. I guess it is Narnia after all...An alternate reality” Ji Hyo said while opening the door. She failed to mention that this was also where she grieved and indulged in self mutilation.

 

“Daebak~ Yah! This is daebak!” Young Jee expressed her gratitude gleefully.

 

“My pleasure,” Ji Hyo replied kindly, “It's the least I could do for such a wonderful friend.”

 

 

That night, Young Jee slept in her version of 'Narnia'. Or so Ji Hyo thought. In fact, Young Jee was not sleeping. She was tossing and turning, worried that she'll be exposed. Of course, it was all just unnecessary worrying. Meanwhile, Ji Hyo, thinking that Young Jee was asleep, took out a key and unlocked the cabinet. She placed her journal inside and locked it. Unbeknownst to her, Young Jee had actually seen the whole thing.

 

“Why did she lie to me? Did she not trust me?” Young Jee pondered. “She is indeed an extremely private person... perhaps that is where she keeps all her secrets. Tsk, Seong Im ah, I wish that you have more faith in me. I wish that you would let someone care for you.”

 

Young Jee decided to go to sleep and ignore what she had just seen. She didn't believe in invading one's privacy. Thus, Young Jee returned to bed and after a few minutes of tossing and turning, the two girls finally managed to fall asleep. And true to what Ji Hyo said, her parents were nowhere to be found.