005

Runaway

Unedited; My beta is super busy at the moment. I will Beta it myself after getting some sleep.

 

Chapter Five
Tuesday; First day End

 

 

 

 

“Hey isn’t that the new kid?” Luhan asked as he outstretched his hand and pointed to the picture Chanyeol had tossed towards his desk, but ultimately missed and landed on the ground beside the bed. Quickly both Chanyeol and Yixing rushed over towards the photo, Yixing reaching out and grabbing it, picking it up for a much better view.

After staring at it for multiple seconds, sure enough, it was the same kid. But in the photograph he had dark brown hair with slightly various streaks of caramel, his skin wasn’t as pale looking, and his eyes were still a soft but more alive brown. He was smiling in the photograph, revealing a full set of shiny white teeth and healthy pink gums. Baekhyun’s eyes were creased into half-moons, an almost twinkle like shine radiating from inside what was visible of them and he was wearing regular clothes; a plain blue-black top and shorts. Behind him was what appeared to be a forest of Cherry Blossom trees; all of which were in full bloom.

Yixing tilted his head to the side, “But… didn’t he tell the class his last name was Wong? Not Byun.” He did have a point, Chanyeol thought to himself, even though he hadn’t actually been awake when the boy- Baekhyun, was introducing himself.

He didn’t know what to say as he looked at the picture, an overwhelming feeling to smile filling his lip muscles. Chanyeol had to bite his cheek to keep from smiling at the happy expression Baekhyun was sporting; something about it was just contagious. There was no other way to explain it.

“Maybe his kidnappers changed it? Forced him to go from Korean to Chinese? WHAT IF THEY ARE THE ONES WHO KIDNA-MMF” Luhan began only to have his mouth quickly and harshly covered by Chanyeol’s over-sized hand. It took up half of Luhan’s face, causing both him and Yixing to laugh as Luhan just sat there with narrowed eyes, glaring at the both of them.

“You don’t have to yell princess,” Chanyeol teased with another laugh, “No need for Drama Queen Luhan.”

By the way Luhan’s face was transforming, it was obvious the other was mocking him, a sarcastic muffled laugh coming from behind Chanyeol’s hand. “We’re going to stop shouting, right?” Luhan nodded with still narrowed eyes. “And, we’re going to talk like civil people, not with crazy wondering minds, right?” Another nod.

“Good,” Chanyeol said, “then you my princess, are free to go.” Swiftly Chanyeol released Luhan’s mouth and jumped away, just in time to avoid Luhan’s flying left hook. Yixing clicked his tongue with a smile before turning back to the photo.

“What’s wrong Xing?” Luhan asked after throwing a pillow at an unexpecting Chanyeol, succeeding in landing it against his face.

Yixing tilted his head again and put one hand on his chin, still looking at the photo, “If he was kidnapped six years ago, then it just doesn’t make any sense.”

Chanyeol with his arm raised and pillow poised to fly towards Luhan, froze and he turned to look at Yixing full on with a raised eyebrow, confusion written all over his face. “And… why is that?”

Luhan nodded in agreement and got on his knees on the bed behind Yixing, proceeding in wrapping his arms around the said others neck and resting his head on his shoulder, glancing from Yixing to the photo, “Yeah, why’s that?”

“Because, I saw him just three years ago, here in Korea. And plus, if someone kidnapped a ten year old, why would they 1- still remain in the same place he was kidnapped from, and 2- bring him back and send him off to school with the same name? I mean, isn’t it kind of risky coming here to begin with? And in my opinion, a ten year old –which I’m guessing, he was six years ago, seeing as how he’s only seventeen right now- would know the difference between kidnap and not kidnap. Or, he is just an idiot and thinks he’s on vacation.”

 

“Oh my god, shoot me!” Baekhyun whined as he pinched his nose closed before sneezing again. It was –if he was counting- the twelfth time he’d sneezed in less than five minutes, and quite frankly, he wasn’t enjoying it one bit. “Maybe its allergies,” Junmyeon called from the other side of the hotel suite.

 Baekhyun snorted before covering his nose and sneezing into his elbow, “Yeah right. We lived in allergy central and I never had a problem, why all of a sudden?”

Junmyeon paused the TV and turned to look at Baekhyun with a blank expression, “I’m not an immunologist, and how am I supposed to know?” He smiled in victory when Baekhyun kept silent then turned back to the TV and played his show, catching up on some much needed news. Seriously, the news? “C’mon over here Baekie,” Junmyeon suddenly called and patted the cushion beside him.

He’s acting weird all of a sudden, Baekhyun thought to himself while carefully eyeing his cousin. Normally when Junmyeon would act all ‘weird’ and whatever the word is for wanting to be right next and touchy with someone- even family- Baekhyun would go in the other direction but since there was no other direction to go in and he felt like he was dying from sneezing, he decided, what the hell and why not.  

With cautious steps Baekhyun walked over to Junmyeon and jumped down on the spot next to him, still keeping his eyes on his cousin. “You’re weir- Achoo!” Baekhyun groaned as he wiped his nose, grossed out by the mucus and spit that flew out of his mouth and nose at the unexpected sneeze.

“What if someone is talking about you?” Junmyeon reached over to the side and grabbed a tissue from the corner table and stuffed it into Baekhyun face, shaking it until the other snatched it from him and wiped his nose.

“Then they better stop, unless they really want me dea- acho-” Luckily the tissue was there to catch his flying spit, “They must have a major grudge against me already.”

They were quiet after that, the number of people with grudges against Baekhyun were more than they were able to keep track off and just thinking about that, was a nightmare in itself. On the TV flashes of people in fire uniforms and police cars continuously pop up along with the captions and the news man’s voice speaking of “Busan International High School bomb threaten this morning just a little after school started. Bomb was found in a junior’s classroom under a desk of a student whose name is yet to be released. Intel says the boy’s name could very well be Kwon Baekhyun, a student who transferred just this morning. It is a miracle that the bomb was found just in time before it had the chance to go off-” Without warning the TV screen went black and Junmyeon had the remote in his hand, obvious trying his best not to shake as he lowered the remote to the side tables top.

Baekhyun gulped hard while keeping his eyes on the black screen. His throat felt like he had just spent days in the desert with no water and his chest felt as if an elephant was sitting upon it. That could’ve been him, Baekhyun thought. He could’ve been that kid who almost got blown up, along with the rest of that school. “I’m sorry…” He muttered before jumping off of the couch grabbing his bag and slipping on his shoes then nearly ran out the door.

With shaking hands Baekhyun ignored Junmyeon’s shouts of protest and passed the elevator, deeming it to long of a wait and instead took the stairs down to the main floor then out of the building. He didn’t know where he was going but he knew that he needed air, and lots of it.

Taking a random right he began walking down the street, his chest heaving with each struggled breath. Bystanders yelled and shouted at him as he bumped into them in his desperate attempt to just get away. They were willing to hurt innocent people. They were going to kill people who had nothing to do with anything. People almost died today, because of him.

Baekhyun’s chest felt like it was getting tighter and tighter with every struggled and ragged breath he took. Finally having enough, Baekhyun took a little stroll into an empty park and went straight to a bench in the far back, out of sight from the sidewalk and roads. He sat down and gripped at his chest, it hurt so badly.

What if the people hadn’t found the bomb?

There were hundreds of ‘what if’ questions flying through his head, all of which ended just as badly as the one before, if not worse.

Unaware as he was gripping at his chest, right over his heart, warm tears began flooding his eyes and streaming like waterfalls down his cheeks, leaving residue on the ground and bench where they landed, including his school uniform. Some might say he was overreacting, and maybe, he was. But then they would have to think of a few things, all which included that it was his fault. They were either aiming for him or they were doing it because of him. Either way, it ended with only one person, and that person was him, Byun Baekhyun.

The soft sound of his phone going off and vibrating in his pocket broke the silence and cut through his steady crying. Slowly, with still shaken hands, Baekhyun pulled his phone out of his pocket. His vision was blurred by tear. Baekhyun wiped at his eyes, clearing them of tears, but that only last for maybe a second before they were filled again.

Giving up Baekhyun simply hit the power button and turned his phone off and then set it beside him as he gripped his head and rested it against his knees. As he closed his eyes a memory he had locked up began to play like a movie behind his closed eye lids.

“Baekhyun, be careful before you end up falling!” Junmyeon voice floated out from the window in the family room as he sat on the window seat and watched as Baekhyun held onto a tree branch and swung his body back and forth, trying to get enough air to jump to the branch across from his current one.

With a roll of his eyes Baekhyun laughed, “Oh please Junnie, I’m as careful as a careful can get-AH!!” Baekhyun’s sentence turned into a scream as one of his hands slipped off of the branch and his body jerked closer to the ground. Junmyeon, without letting a minute pass, jumped out of the ground floor window and rushed over to Baekhyun, standing below him with opened arms.

“Go ahead and drop, I’ll catch you.”

Unexpectedly Baekhyun began laughing and grabbed back onto the branch, “Haha, kidding! You really believed me? You er.” Not waiting for Junmyeon’s reaction Baekhyun swung once more really hard and let go of the branch, successfully grabbing the other, almost missing by an inch.

There was a loud gasp sound from inside the house followed by a shatter of what sounded like glass just as Baekhyun let go of the branch and landed on his feet next to his cousin. “Do you think…?”

“It doesn’t matter.” Junmyeon finished sourly but as another shatter rang in the air he quickly put his hands over Baekhyun’s ears and pulled him against his chest, turning them so the younger’s back was facing the house. Baekhyun, thankful to his cousin’s action just closed his eyes and let his head rest against Junmyeon’s shoulder, trying his best to block out his parent’s screams at each other.

But like every other fake pair of headphones, the sounds were only barely muted out. Most of the time, Baekhyun heard everything. Only this time it was more unpleasant then the more recent ones and Junmyeon continued to try his best to block it out and keep Baekhyun from hearing any of it.

“You almost kill a child today! How do you expect me to just stay at home while you’re out and about killing- oops, almost killing- innocent people?! Do you think I’m just some lap dog?” He heard his mother shout, followed by a loud clank of something falling.

“Shut up it’s none of your damn business!” His father shouted back.

“Ha, none of my business? NONE OF MY DAMN BUSINESS?!” Her voice almost a shriek, “We have a child who is barely ten and another who is eleven, what if child services finds out they are here while you’re off shooting people? What are you going to do then?!”

There was silence for a few tense moments only to be broken by a painful scream then quickly faded to silence again. It was over, “I think it’s over…” Junmyeon muttered before releasing Baekhyun’s ears but continued to hug the other, Baekhyun keeping his head on Junmyeon’s shoulder.

“You ever try that again and I’ll shoot you, stupid .”

Slowly Baekhyun opened his eyes, the feeling of water hitting his face waking him up. Holding his head and acknowledging his sore throat Baekhyun sat up and looked around him. “W-” He coughed then rubbed his throat before trying again, “Where am I?”

When the sight of jungle gyms and swings came into his painful stinging and blurry eyes he remember the earlier events. From the news to running out the room and to the part where he found himself at a park and cried his eyes out. But he didn’t remember falling asleep on the uncomfortable metal bench.

He rubbed his lower back as he sat up and looked around him again, noticing the streets now empty and the sky a mixture of black and blue. “What time is it?” He asked himself as he looked around, using his hands to search for his phone. Panic began to rise when he felt nothing, even after checking the bench and after a few minutes, getting on his knees and checking around the bench. Still, he felt nothing.

“Junmyeon is going to kill me for sure…”

Baekhyun bit his lip and stood up, stretching, then decided maybe now would be a good time to go home and get some sleep in a real, comfortable, magical bed.

He took the walk back to the hotel slow, constantly rubbing his swollen face and puffy red eyes. Baekhyun was sure as hell he’d get it when he got back to the hotel, which is if Junmyeon was even still there. Who knows where he might’ve gone after he stormed out like that?

A big part of him felt guilty, not only because he lost his phone and stormed out, but he could only image how Junmyeon was feeling right now. But in his defense, Junmyeon didn’t almost get a whole school blown up for having the name Baekhyun.

It really was no fair.

With one last rub at his face and a deep breath, Baekhyun pushed opened the hotel doors, only to be tackled and thrown back out by the force. “LET GO!” Baekhyun screamed as he closed his eyes and thrashed against the hold on him, ignoring the screaming pain in his back from the impact against the concrete.

Without a real plan Baekhyun started randomly swinging his arms around, proud when he heard –and felt- contact being made and the other person groan with each hit. But what struck Baekhyun as odd was that his attacker wasn’t moving nor saying anything, whoever it was just had Baekhyun pinned painfully to the ground.

“I,” slap “said,” slap “let me,” slap slap “GO!” Last resort Baekhyun leaned forward and sunk hit teeth into his attackers arm, smiling internally when the attacker hissed and attempted to yank their arm away, but Baekhyun refused to let go. At least until he felt the other person stop pulling away and just remain still, accepting Baekhyun’s painful jaw lock.

Surprised, Baekhyun instantly released his hold on the person’s arm, stopped swinging, and snapped his eyes open. On top of Baekhyun, still painfully pinning him to the ground was Junmyeon, with tear stained cheeks. “Hey hey, what’s wrong?” Baekhyun quickly sat up, although with much difficulty with Junmyeon still holding onto him.

“What’s wrong?” Junmyeon said in a hoarse cracked voice, “I thought something happened to you! From the moment you left I tried calling you and then I went looking for you!” He all but shouted as he glared at Baekhyun. Out of pent up anger and anxiety Junmyeon hit Baekhyun on the head then flicked his forehead, “What the hell Baekhyun, seriously?!”

Guilt was eating him up, seeing Junmyeon in such a state. The last time he had been like this was when Baekhyun got stuck in a house that was on fire when they were younger. And if it hadn’t been for the lack of oxygen Baekhyun was going through, he probably would’ve freaked out more over the state Junmyeon was in instead of the fact that he was almost dying.

“About that… now probably isn’t a good time to tell you but-“

“You’re right; it isn’t a good time to tell me. Now shut up and hug back.”

With a slightly guilt smile with a hint of gratitude, Baekhyun wrapped his arms around his over-protective cousin and hugged back, ignoring the on-lookers who were probably cursing them for the weird yet lewd looking position they were currently in. After all, two guys hugging on the ground while one was practically sitting on the others lap, wasn’t an everyday sight people would see while passing a hotel.

 

Dinner was nothing if not awkward. Chanyeol sat at the end of the table with both Yixing and Luhan on each side of him while his mother, Mr. Wang, and Mr. Kyung sat on the other side. At first there was slight conversation, questions about how China was, if they actually paid attention instead of goofing around, how Luhan’s parents reacted to his bleached hair, and if Yixing’s parents were going to be coming back for Liberation day around the beginning of August.

After those little bit of questions with too over happy answers the conversations died down and all that could be heard was the scraping of silverware on glass and the slight chewing of food.

Yixing and Chanyeol are on their second plate while Luhan’s working on his third when Mr. Kyung decides to break the tense and awkward silence, “So boys, did you look at that picture?”

“Well-” Luhan began only to be cut off by Mr. Wang.

“We understand that there are a few people at your school and we don’t wish to rush you but our boss has been missing his son for six years, and he really would like to at least be close to finding him, or at least know he’s still alive…”

From the corner of his eye Chanyeol can see his mother look at Mr. Wang and Kyung with a troubled look, and he suddenly felt bad that his mother was an adult. Let alone a woman. Not that women are incapable or anything, just by the looks of it, not even the hulk could go up against Mr. Kyung.

Yixing cleared his throat and wiped his mouth before looking Mr. Wang straight in the eyes, “We’re terrible sorry sir, for both you and mostly your boss. If we can help in any way, we would. But we’ve never seen this kid before. Although you can tell your boss, to help him through the loss of his son, that I saw him three years ago when I visited China to see my parents.” 

Both Luhan and Chanyeol turned their heads to look at Yixing, vaguely aware of the glint that’s been sparked in Mr. Kyung and Wang’s eyes. Why is he lying? Chanyeol asked himself then looked at Luhan, the same question visible in his eyes as well. They both shrug it off and turn forward, watching how the two men lean closer towards the table, both eyeing Yixing like a hungry lion.

“Really?! Is there anything more you can give us about that time in China?” Mr. Kyung questions.

Like the smooth liar Yixing is, he softly puts his silverware down and nods his head, his expression sullen. “Well like I said it was three years ago. We ended up going to the same school and being seat partners. He-Baekhyun, didn’t talk much except for the occasional ‘yes’ ‘no’ but not even a hello or goodbye. No offense, but maybe your boss lacked in the manner department- ouch…” Yixing hissed as he reached down and rubbed his shin, the same spot Luhan’s ankle had just collided with only seconds ago.

“What I meant to say is,” Yixing said through clenched teeth, sparing a moment to glare at Luhan who was happily eating, “I meant to say that after a month he moved away and I never seen him after that. I’m really sorry to hear about that, if only I had known back then…”

Mr. Kyung and Wang nodded their heads and shared a look Chanyeol couldn’t exactly pinpoint, but he passed it off as being weird, like just about everything else about them and looked from Luhan to Yixing. “Oh crap! I forgot I promised to meet Kris at … the park around eight.” He quickly stood up, grabbing Luhan’s wrist with one hand and Yixing’s with the other.

“C-chanyeol wait!” His mother stuttered as she stood up and eyed him, “This late at night? But you have school tomorrow.”

You are not helping, Chanyeol tried to send telepathically to his mother as he exhaled deeply, “Yeah I know mom,” He flashed his signature smile, “I’ll be back before twelve. So that doesn’t mean stay up too late, understand?” He leaned over the table and kissed his mother’s cheek before pulling the two Chinese boys with him out the house as they called their goodbyes to his mother.

As soon as they were outside Chanyeol released their risk and both him and Luhan turned sharply at Yixing, “Why did you lie?” They whispered simultaneously.

“Are you two sure you’re not related?” Yixing teased as he looked back and forth between the two.

“He’s two old,” Chanyeol said as he swapped his hand in Luhan’s direction, laughing when the blonde boy gasped like a drama queen and huffed while crossing his arms, whispering something along the lines of ‘To old my ’.

“The reason I lied was because the dude cut Luhan off, and that my friends, was disrespectful, no matter how much they want to know.” Then with that said Yixing clapped both boys on the shoulders then turned and began walking down the street towards his house.

Luhan sighed beside Chanyeol before laying his hand on Chanyeol’s shoulder, “Sorry dude, but he has my house keys, and unless I want those lost, I better go catch up. But make sure to tell your mom we’ll be back soon!” He waved then ran off after Yixing who was already almost there.

Great, Chanyeol thought to himself, now he had to find something for three hours to keep himself busy away from his house. Hoping luck is on his side Chanyeol pulled out his cell phone and opened his contacts, beginning to search for another giant’s number. Once he got to the B’s he froze, seeing a suddenly all-too-familiar name in his contacts. ‘Byunnie’.

“Byun…”



Thank you for subscribing. 
EXO WON FIRST ON MUSICBANK THIS MORNING/LAST NIGHT. <3
Which is why I decided to update early, even  though it hasn't been beta read. 
You guys are really amazing ^.^ I love you guys,
Here; gifs --








... my computer is starting to freeze OTL I guess that's all for now. 

I'M SO PROUD OF OUR BOYS.