006

Runaway

 

 

Chapter Six
Wednesday; New Class

 

 

 

“Byun…”

Chanyeol starred at his phone while chewing on the inside of his cheek. There was no way that kids number suddenly popped into his phone, and Chanyeol was 115% sure that it was never there before. Cautiously Chanyeol tapped the name, bringing up all the contact information.

Just as he’s expected there’s nothing there expect ‘Byun’ and a phone number.

Should he call?

No, Chanyeol shook his head, he shouldn’t call. I’m just being paranoid, Chanyeol thought to himself as he tapped the screen once before deleting the contact and shoving his phone into his pocket. Just in time as Luhan skipped up to his desk all too happily with Yixing being dragged from behind.

“Should I even ask?” Chanyeol joked as Luhan hopped onto his desk and Yixing took his seat beside Chanyeol. It was odd to see Yixing quiet, but the bags under his eyes seemed to explain it all. “Luhan keep you up all night?”

Yixing groaned as let his head fall to the desk top, “What idiots stay up till four in the morning on a school night Skyping, when they live just two blocks away from each other?” Suddenly Yixing lifted his head and turned to Luhan and Chanyeol, “Oh right, you two idiots.”

Luhan laughed as Chanyeol smiled and quietly apologized, “Oh boo hoo Yixing, I don’t know what you’re complaining about, you were on the phone all night talking with someone, and way pass the time we got off.”

The teacher choose that moment to walk in, letting her eyes scanning the room until her eyes landed on Luhan, “Student, the bell rang minutes ago, why are you not in class?”

With a sheepish smile and apologetic bow Luhan hopped off the desk and turned to Chanyeol, “See you at lunch?” Chanyeol nodded and Luhan turned back to the teacher with another bow then scurried out of the class room, off to his own homeroom.

Giving the teacher their full attention again she nodded her head, satisfied. “Alright class, for starters, Wong Baekhyun will be joining us for the next two weeks until he can get his schedule straightened out. Right then the classroom door slid open and Baekhyun walked in with his eyes downcast. He walked up to the teacher then turned to the class finally acknowledging them but his eyes a lonely isolation.

“Wong Baekhyun, please treat me well.” He then bowed and waiting for the teacher to point him out a seat.  

The teacher motioned for him to take the empty seat on the other side of Yixing with a smile, “Yixing is actually- aside from his attendance- doing quite well in this class, so sitting by him should benefit you till your schedule is sorted out.” Baekhyun nodded and with his head facing forward and back straight, walked to and sat in the chair next to Yixing.

Chanyeol couldn’t help turning his attention slightly to Baekhyun who pulled a notebook out of his bag before setting in on the back of his chair. Just like Chanyeol- although more obvious, Yixing had his head resting on his hand as he rested his arm on the table top and turned in his seat to face an watch Baekhyun’s every move. Inside, Chanyeol thought that it wouldn’t hurt for Yixing to be a bit more, not so obvious.

 

Baekhyun slightly squirmed in his seat as he felt the burning gaze from the guy beside him-Yixing and every now and then, the guy beside Yixing. It was more than the usual you’re-the-new-kid stare, and frankly, Baekhyun didn’t necessarily like it.

Somehow, he managed to get through all of homeroom all while the two- no- one, kept stealing glances. Yixing on the other hand continued to stare intently at him. Baekhyun had half a mind to demand the reason, but the still logical side of his brain told him he was just paranoid after the events from the day before.

The teacher motioned toward a kid sitting in the front of the desk and she stood, “Attention,” The girl said in a commanding voice, catching all the students’ attention. She looked around making sure everyone was listening then smiled to herself, “Bow.” Everyone in their seats bent their upper bodies in a respect bow.  

“Study hard!” The teacher sang as she walked out of the room. The students waited till the teacher was completely out of the room before bringing up conversations with the ones around them, the volume in the room rising to almost a shouting.

Yixing chose that moment to smile at Baekhyun (a creepy smile at that. the type that said they ‘knew’ things) and outstretched his hand towards Baekhyun, “Hey, long time no see.”

Baekhyun turned his head to face Yixing, a bored expression on his face. He looked from Yixing’s face to his hand, then back to his face. Sighing he said, “I’ve never met you.” His voice matched his expression; tired and bored.

Confidently, Yixing retracted his hand back to his side of the desk and smirked at Baekhyun. “Are you sure about that, Baekie?”

“Don’t call me that,” Baekhyun all but growled, “I’m positive we’ve never met. Now if you’ll excuse me-“

“Why are you running?”

Baekhyun froze in mid position of standing up from his chair, turning to throw glaring daggers at the brunette. He watched as the boy beside him nudged Yixing rather harshly in the back, “Yixing you idiot, leave him alone.” Baekhyun didn’t know wither he wanted to thank the kid for standing up from him or tell him to stay out of it. He chose neither.

“Yeah, listen to your friend Yixing. Leave me alone.”

With that all said and done Baekhyun wasted no time getting up and walking out of the room, granted rather swiftly. He went to the bathroom, squeezing pass a few playful first years. After checking the stalls and making sure he was alone in the bathroom he walked up to the sinks and splashed cold water on his face.

Secretly, Baekhyun felt bad for snapping at Yixing, just because he had called him Baekie. It just came as a shock, seeing as no one has called him that before. Why would they anyways? It was lame.

But still, that in no way justified his reasons for snapping, just because it was lame and out of the blue. Then again, Yixing did accuse him of running away. Why? Taking a deep breath Baekhyun ripped some paper towel off of the towel rack and pat dried his face before walking out of the bathroom and back to the room.

When Baekhyun walked into the room he saw his seat taken by a kid with blonde hair, but from his position he could only see the side of the persons head. If it wasn’t for a male uniform the guy was wearing Baekhyun might’ve gone as far as to suspect him being a girl. Slowly Baekhyun walked up to his desk and the male who –now that he was closer and could see better- was in a carefree conversation with Yixing and the boy next to Yixing, a smile on all their faces.

Baekhyun stopped a few feet away, observing. He could feel his face forming into a frown as he watched the three. They were everything he wanted to be; friends. The boy from before was leaning over Yixing to be closer to the new male, an overly large smile on his face as the other boy leaned back, clapping his hands and laughing.

It came to a shock when Baekhyun looked at Yixing, the other looking back at him, as if he had been looking at him for a while. The new male slowly came down from his laughing fit, looked at Yixing, and then tilted his head before following his line of sight. Feeling more eyes on him Baekhyun looked away first, feeling on the spot.

“Hey…” The male whispered toward Chanyeol who was looking at Baekhyun as well, still leaning over Yixing. “Isn’t that by-“

“Luhan shut up, you idiot.” Yixing hissed, covering Luhan’s mouth and finally looking away from Baekhyun. From the corner of his eye Baekhyun watched as Yixing leaned near Luhan’s ear and whispered something, the deer look-a-like nodding as his mouth formed a ‘O’.

Luhan closed his mouth and smiled, straightening up. He got up from the seat and walked up to Baekhyun, a smile on his face with his hands behind his back, swaying slightly. “Hi, I’m Luhan!” Luhan brought one hand from behind his back to wave then put it back. “Sorry about that, I was in your seat wasn’t I?” Baekhyun lifted his head to look at Luhan, saying nothing in reply.

Tense silence filled the space between them, Baekhyun and Luhan silently staring at each other, Luhan still swaying. “You’re probably making him flustered Lulu, give the kid some air?” A deep, teasing voice said from somewhere behind them all.

Baekhyun caught the way Luhan’s eyebrows creased and he huffed, taking a step back. “Whatever, buzz kill.”

“Kris!” The boy with black hair beside Yixing said loudly, catching their attention as he jumped up and bound over towards them, coming to a halt next to Kris. But not before throwing his arm over his shoulder and smiling what Baekhyun would consider, a cheesy high school girl smile.

The freakishly tall dude- Kris- laughed and slung his arm over the others shoulders, “Hey Chanyeol, did you miss me?” The sarcasm rang clear in his voice. Chanyeol with his obnoxiously deep voice laughed and rolled his eyes, taking his arm off from around Kris’s shoulders and elbowed him in the gut.

The sight put even more of a damper on Baekhyun’s mood; friends playing around and having fun. Without making a scene- or noise- Baekhyun slowly backed up, unaware of Luhan’s following eyes as he passed by. Once he was near the door Baekhyun turned around and walked out of the room, decided he didn’t quite feel like going to class for the rest of the day.

 

“So Luhan,” Kris began after letting Chanyeol out of a headlock and ruffling his hair, grinning when a growl came from Chanyeol’s direction, “Who was that kid you were pestering, or more so, trying to seduce?”

Luhan gasp and leaned onto Yixing’s –who decided to get up and join them in front of the desk- shoulder for support. “Really Kris, I wasn’t trying to seduce the kid!” He pouted, hurt. “I was just trying to be friendly, but he wasn’t saying anything so I decided to follow suit and see where that got me.”

Yixing and Kris snorted at the same time, a sound that wasn’t as unattractive as one would think. “Well, seeing as how he’s not here anymore,” Kris stated, “I’m going to say you scared him off.”

After fixing his hair and straightening his clothes Chanyeol joined back with the group, standing next to Luhan this time. “Or he was probably flustered by Luhan’s beautiful appearance.”

“Or that too.”

Luhan stuck his bottom lip out in a pout, filling his cheeks with air momentarily, “Ha, ha, ha, very funny you two. You’re both just jealous!”

Not in the mood to be the of their jokes at the moment Luhan turned quite dramatically and stalked out of the room, making sure to sway his hips more than needed, satisfied when the group laughed. It was better to be laughed with instead of laughed at.

There was fifteen minutes before the next class was to start and Luhan originally had no further plan aside from walking out of the room. He’d look like he was the one who had given in if he was to walk right back into the room, and he really didn’t want to go to his own class; the juniors were annoying to the max.   

Just as he was going to go be like every manga character he’s read about and chill on the roof, he saw Baekhyun walking along the wall, looking at all the photos and flyers that other students had taped up.

What was a better way of passing time then stalking the new kid?

But before his stalking could even begin Baekhyun suddenly started running, fast too. Caught off guard slightly, Luhan stood there frozen, wondering what caused Baekhyun’s sudden passion to run. After the shock passed Luhan broke into a run after him.

It took a minute but Luhan found Baekhyun heading towards the stairs and instantly Luhan regretted following him. Baekhyun seemed to know where he was going and sadly, so did Luhan. Like every manga character, Baekhyun was heading to the roof.

Or so it seemed.

When Luhan pushed open the emergency stairwell door, he jaw slacked when he saw Baekhyun descend towards the basement. “Oh hell…”

As he took a step to go after Baekhyun, the wind-chime like bell went off, signally break over. Luhan panted before shaking his head and deciding his education was a bit more important than a kid who obviously didn’t want him following.



Double update- part 1.
I will fix mistakes after the other update. please look past those for the time being.