007

Runaway

 

 

Chapter Seven
Wednesday; Later that day

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun didn’t stop running until he came to a dead end in the basement, underneath the school where the stomping of feet could be heard almost as if they were trying to stomp on his head. His heart was beating at fifty miles a second and he was struggling to get enough air in his lungs to be considered breathing.

 

Who was that chasing me? Baekhyun wondered as he leaned his back against the wall and slid to the ground, letting his limbs sprawl out in front of him while he steadied his breathing. Quietly, he sat on the ground, looking around cautiously; making sure whoever was following him earlier wasn’t still after him. A little part of Baekhyun was worried that the person was one of the many people he didn’t want to be anywhere near.

Just the thought of those people being anywhere near him, scared the living out of him.

Honestly, Baekhyun hated the fact that he was forced to live his life always worrying if he was safe or if someone was watching him. He wanted to be able to go a day without having to even think about those people. A day where he could make friends and goof around; where they could hit each other playfully and tease one another then hang out after school doing what other friends do.

But that was all a long distant dream. So far out of reach it could take billions of years to even get close to such things.

With the thoughts of what his life should be, Baekhyun leaned his head back against the wall and closed his eyes. Deciding it was safe enough to let his mind wander for the time being, until he felt like moving.

Baekhyun- Age 12

Baekhyun hated Junmyeon, almost as much as he hated jelly and girls. They all did something to him, wither that was making him vomit every time he took even a tiny bite of it, constantly bombarding him with ‘oppa’ and try their best to get his attention, or in Junmyeon’s case, bossing him around as if he was his mother.

Junmyeon was like the mother he never wanted. It was always do this and do that. Baekhyun can’t recall there ever being a please or a thank you either. And that pissed him off more than actually being bossed around.

Sure, Baekhyun is a smart who enjoys pushing peoples buttons, but even with all that, he was raised with manners and not a day passed that he didn’t at least thank someone for doing something for him or say please when he wanted something. Junmyeon on the other hand, even though raised the same way by the same people, didn’t even know the definition of manners.

But then again, he only seemed to boss Baekhyun around- oh and the kids at school, whenever they were actually allowed to attend the school. Baekhyun was rarely around Junmyeon during the day, when the other wasn’t stuck to him like a tick. So maybe Junmyeon did use manners- with the elders at least. Or maybe he was one of those kids who rebelled in secrecy.

Today of all days was no exception to bossy mother Junmyeon. His real mother was at his grandmother’s house, apparently having said she had ‘things’ to arrange while his father, well, no one ever knew what his father was doing but he wasn’t at home. The only people at home were the teacher, a few maids (all of which only stayed to clean then left), Junmyeon, and himself.

Baekhyun and Junmyeon sat at the kitchen table, side by side, while the teacher silently graded their latest test across from them. It was mathematics- Baekhyun’s worst subject or more like, everyone’s worst subject for the most part.

“Well,” The teacher cleared and picked the papers up from the table top and set them down in front of both him and Junmyeon, “Considering I only come once a week, you both are doing exceptionally well. Keep up the good work.” She then smiled as Baekhyun gasped.

At the top right corner of his mathematics test packet in red marker was a 98% along with a little note: Your fractions need working on but with your scores, you might pass Junmyeon by the next test. Baekhyun glanced over at Junmyeon’s test, seeing a 100% written on his, smiling in satisfaction when he saw no little note. But Junmyeon was a genius; no way would Baekhyun ever pass him.

When the teacher stood and turned to them, both boys followed suit and stood up, bowing towards her. “See you boys next week- Oh my god, Baekhyun.” Caught off guard Baekhyun stood frozen as the teacher dropped her bag and bent down next to him, taking his arm lightly in her hand. Junmyeon was the first of the two to realize what had caught the teachers attention, a hand sized bruise lining Baekhyun wrist.

Quickly Junmyeon snatched Baekhyun’s arm away, a forced smile on his face as he laughed, “Oh don’t worry about that, we were rough playing and I accidently got serious.” He waved his hand in the air as Baekhyun laughed –quite forced- and nodded in agreement.

Of course the teacher didn’t look convinced but nonetheless she straightened and picked up her bag, eyeing them both. She looked around before locking eyes with Junmyeon, “If anything is happening, or you need help, you have my number, right?”

Nodding was the only thing Junmyeon could do at that moment.

“Alright then, goodbye.” She her heels and left the house, seemingly in a hurry.

Waiting until the door closed Junmyeon stood there, Baekhyun’s arm still in his hands. When the assuring click echoed in the now empty house, he turned to face Baekhyun sharply. “Damnit Baek, I told you to put on a long sleeve shirt.”

Baekhyun scoffed and yanked his arm back, covering the bruise with his own hand. “If you can’t be nice about asking, then I don’t give a damn.” Taken aback at the sudden cussing Junmyeon pursed his lips, taking a deep breath before looking around the house. “What now?”

“Baekhyun, what if she tells someone and then they tell someone and then somehow it gets back to your dad. That his son has bruises and his nephew lied to cover it up? That could spell trouble for both you and your mother.” Junmyeon said, “You of all people should understand that.”

He scrunched up his face before looking at Junmyeon, his lips pushed out in a pout. “Junnie, you’re not being fair. You aren’t even going to ask how I got it or if it hurts…” Honestly, Baekhyun didn’t care if Junmyeon asked or not, but so far, this was his best chance at changing the topic so Junmyeon wouldn’t start bossing him around again.

Junmyeon took a deep breath and nodded, mostly to himself. “You’re right, I am being unfair.” Baekhyun was surprised at Junmyeon’s agreement. “But it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know how you got that, and seeing as how it bruised so badly, I know it hurts.”

Sure, Baekhyun thought even though it really didn’t hurt.

“But, that doesn’t mean you can get off the hook. Is your bed made? Room clean? Are your clothes in the laundry basket, because I’ll be starting the laundry in a few minutes?”

Baekhyun sighed, and so it begins. “Can I get a please?” He knew he was just getting his hopes up, but his mother always said; someone with manners is someone who is considerate. And Junmyeon always said he was considerate about anything when it comes to Baekhyun.

Junmyeon smiled and squeezed Baekhyun’s shoulder lightly, “You can get a ten second head start.”

“Oh,” Baekhyun said sarcastically, “You’re just a bundle of joy, aren’t you?”

“What does that have to do with joy?” Junmyeon tilted his head to the side as Baekhyun shrugged his hand off his shoulder and with a slouch, began walking toward the stairs.

“Everything.” Baekhyun said. “You are the murderer to my joy.”

Junmyeon laughed and turned away, going to the kitchen to make lunch, “Thanks for the compliment cousin.”

 

When Baekhyun opened his eyes again, it was quiet and from the small window near the ceiling he could see it was dark outside already. Taking his time, Baekhyun reached into his pant pockets and pulled out the phone Junmyeon had given him the other day after losing his at the park. There were fifteen messages and thirty-two missed calls.

He didn’t have to check them individually to know who it was and what they said. Clicking Junmyeon’s name he quickly texted him.

To: Junmyeon
From: Baekhyun
Sorry, I fell asleep at school. I’m on my way home.

He clicked send and stuffed the phone back into his pocket, choosing to sit and let his mind adjust to everything before pushing himself to his feet. Just as he took a step his phone chimed. Upon taking it out his lips were in the thin line as he read the notification: Message not sent.

Baekhyun looked at the top right corner of his phone and saw he had no signal. Great.

Not only that, but his battery was almost gone too.

Can this get any worse? Baekhyun silently asked himself as he began retracing his steps to the stairs. He was half expecting something else to go wrong, just like in movies and books. A huge part was glad when that didn’t happen and he made it to the ground floor again, without something popping out in front of him or surprise attacking him from behind.

Lifting his phone up, he smiled when the signal sign was on and went back to the message, clicking send. This time the message went through with a ding. His phone read only 7:30 but then how come it was already dark out? If Baekhyun could recall correctly, it didn’t start getting dark out until eight.

“God Damnit,” Baekhyun cursed just as he grabbed the school door handle. Earlier thanks to Yixing and his pack of friends, Baekhyun had forgotten his backpack in the classroom. He had half a mind to just leave it and come back early tomorrow just to make sure no one took it. But then he remembered all his important stuff was in there- manga’s, wallet, drawing notebooks, and most of all, his limited addition Charzard Pokémon card. Something his mother had given him when he was seven, saying she was too old for it.

With a sigh Baekhyun turned and headed to the classroom, taking his time to look around for once.

The school itself wasn’t all that big; two floors and only about twenty maybe twenty five classrooms on each floor. The walls were lined with club flyers, pictures of random students which were probably put up without their knowledge of, request such as ‘cello player needed’ and many others.

Safely and quickly Baekhyun got to the classroom, grabbed his bag, and then walked out.

 

Chanyeol laughed with his arms around Kris and Yixing as they exited the Karaoke Bar, each out of breath as they struggled to walk in a straight line, even though none had a drink of alcohol. It was the life of three unbalanced teenage boys. They walked half way to the bus stop in silence, save for the left over laughter still slipping past their lips. Spending three hours in a karaoke room, rapping and singing like their lives depended on it, was how they spent their days after school instead of doing homework.

When the bus stop came into sight Kris untangled himself from Chanyeol’s arm and smiled, “Well it’s been a long time since we did that.” He said, eyeing Yixing who shrugged like he had no clue what Kris was talking about. “We should do it again, only this time, I’ll kick both your asses. Kris Wu out!” He called before jogging to the bus stop just in time for the bus to come to a slow stop in front of him.     

Yixing and Chanyeol stood there, arms still around each other, watching with embarrassed expressions as Kris smiled at them while the bus passed. “How can he look so badass one minute, but a complete embarrassing idiot the next?” Yixing asked as he shook his head, chuckling.

“Honestly, I have no clue either.” Chanyeol said as he began walking again, heading toward his and Yixing’s side of town. They were never ones to take the bus anyways.

It was quiet again and Yixing began to put more of his weight against Chanyeol along the walk. Chanyeol glanced down at Yixing, noticing the other was practically sleep walking. “Hey Yixing…” If anytime was great, now would be the best to ask questions. A sleepy Yixing is an unguarded truthful Yixing.

“Hm?” Yixing hummed in response.

Chanyeol took a breath, shifting for Yixing to be more comfortable- or as comfortable a sleepy walking person can be. “Why were you such a jerk towards Baekhyun today?”

“Hm…” Chanyeol was beginning to think Yixing wasn’t actually listening, until Yixing slowed down a bit more. “I wasn’t being a jerk.”

The taller snorted, “Yeah, and I’m a five inch fairy.”

“No, you’re an idiot.” Yixing snickered when Chanyeol attempted to push him away. “But seriously, I didn’t mean to come off as a jerk.”

“Yixing, are you really being serious? You stared at the kid for the whole hour then practically put him on the spot of ‘running away’. You might not have noticed, but the kid looked like he was going to either punch you in the face or cry, or maybe even both.”

“Really?” Yixing straightened up, “All I saw was Baekhyun –stop calling him a kid he’s the same age as us- trying too hard to keep a straight face.” Before Chanyeol could reply Yixing waved his off, “Any who, as I said, I wasn’t trying to be a jerk. I am just hurt.”

Chanyeol stopped walking to look at Yixing with creased brows. “Why are you hurt?”

Yixing grunted when Chanyeol refused to continue walking. “I am hurt because,” he turned to Chanyeol with jokingly sad eyes, “he doesn’t remember me!”  



I don't know what this is... OTL 
Sorry.