002

Runaway

 

 

 

 

Chapter Two

Wednesday; Moving Day

 

 

 

At first moving around to different states and countries was fun and exciting, the rush of being on the run had clouded over his thirteen year old brain, planting false hope and impossible missions in his head. Junmyeon was always with him, even before they had started their run. At the time, Baekhyun didn’t bother himself with asking why. He was a selfish child.  At first Baekhyun had disobeyed everything Junmyeon ever said, always sticking his tongue out at the other before running out the house or to his room. More than most times it was his room.

The first time they were found was when Baekhyun was fifteen. It was two years since they left, and Baekhyun had been walking home from school, it was only a five minute walk so Junmyeon approved of it. Junmyeon was only two years older than him, so in a sense, they were both still children. They had thought that since it’d been two years that maybe, just maybe, they’ve stopped looking. They were entirely wrong. Baekhyun was standing at the corner, waiting for the walk cross to turn green. His house was just on the other side of the street, he could even see Junmyeon standing outside waving at him. Just as the light turned green and Baekhyun stepped into the road, a car suddenly blocked his way and men in dark navy suits had stuffed him into the back seat. It was Baekhyun’s sarcastic remarks that saved him, well, until Junmyeon arrived three days later.  Baekhyun was fifteen when he watched his cousin kill a man.

“Baekhyun, are you alright?” Junmyeon’s voice interrupted his trip down memory lane. Baekhyun was looking out the window 35,000 feet in the air; the plane ride seemed to stretch on forever. Or maybe it’s because he doesn’t want to return to Korea. There’s nothing good there for either of them, so why was Junmyeon risking their lives by going back? Baekhyun was at a lost.

“Uh, yeah. Just zoned out for a bit,” Baekhyun mumbled to Junmyeon who was looking at him closely.

“Are you sure? We can get the poil-“

Baekhyun put his hand in front of Junmyeon, “I’m fine. Get some sleep; we’ll be there in just a few hours.” He grabbed his pillow and put it behind Junmyeon’s head then took his blanket and covered the other up to the chin. “There, all tucked in. Nice and Cozy. Don’t make my efforts be in vain and just sleep.”

Junmyeon opened his mouth then closed it again; he looked like a fish out of water. “Do I need to get you an eye mask?” Baekhyun asked sarcastically, glaring at Junmyeon. The older quickly shook his head and snapped his eyes closed. On most days Baekhyun was harmless, but there were times when he was just as dangerous as a whole army. Neither knew why Baekhyun gets like that, but then they blame it on the genes and it’s the most plausible answer they can think of.

As soon as he was sure Junmyeon was asleep, Baekhyun turned too look out the window again. Below them was nothing but open water, there aren’t many clouds in the sky either. Junmyeon had said it was in the middle of summer in Korea and that it was hotter than when they used to live there.

The only real memory Baekhyun had when they lived in Korea is when it was spring. He can remember how it was early in April, he knows because that’s when the Cherry Blossom trees were in full bloom. The entire back yard was covered with blooming Cherry Blossoms; they were his favorite so his mother had the gardener plant fifty in the yard. Every day in early April Baekhyun would run through the trees while the wind blew the petals all around, it felt like magic.

But that’s all he can remember, the trees. When he thinks about it, it’s kind of sad. Most people would remember their parents, their friends, or even their animals. Baekhyun didn’t, no matter how many times he tried to picture what his family looked like, he always came up blank. It’s like they never really existed.      

 

 

“Chanyeol, could you come downstairs?” Chanyeol’s mother called up the stairs, oblivious to the fact that her son was still asleep. “Chanyeol honey, are you awake yet?” When he heard his mother begin to climb up the stairs he quickly sat up, although his eyes were still closed. “Oh dear, couldn’t you hear me?”

Chanyeol shook his head faintly, wishing his mother would leave so he could go back to sleep. “What time is it?” His voice was hoarse with sleep as he turned to look at his clock, “Mom, it is almost four in the morning. Can’t this wait till the actual morning?” Chanyeol turned to face his mother who was standing in the doorway with her arms crossed over his chest and leaning against the door frame while tapping her foot.

She put one hand on her chin and looked at the ceiling, “Oh,” His mother looked at him with a smile, “No it can’t. Now c’mon before I drag your lazy out of bed.” A little fact Chanyeol had to keep in mind, Mrs. Park was a sweet and innocent lady, when other people are there. As soon as people leave she curses them and yells, sometimes she even throws things at the door as if it’s supposed to hit them. It’s quite terrifying to watch actually.

With a deep sigh Chanyeol rubbed his itchy eyes and stood up from the bed, succeeding in knock his head against the ceiling as he made his way to the ladder. Chanyeol every day would ask himself, why does he have a bunk bed? He’s an only child; yet, his mother wouldn’t let him get a real bed. She always got double everything, like there’s an invisible person Chanyeol doesn’t know about. Or maybe it was an alien. Who knows, the possibilities are endless.

Loud clanks and clatters could be heard from the kitchen when Chanyeol made it down the stairs after putting some pants on and an old t-shirt. Chanyeol was surprised no one had called the cops on them yet for being so loud so early in the morning. He walked to the kitchen where he was met with a little shove out the way and his mother rushing to the living room with two tea cups and the tea pot. Seriously, she woke him up just so he would drink tea with her? Chanyeol was beginning to think that maybe he should take his mother to the hospital and beg the doctors to keep her for a few days. That’s the least Chanyeol could do, after all, sometimes his mother was a bit … crazy.

“Uh, mom, I really don’t thi-” Chanyeol began as his mother rushed back to the kitchen but the sounds of a male laughing caught his attention. The only male that should be in their house was Chanyeol. Has his mother been secretly dating and thinks now is the time to introduce him to Chanyeol? It’s that very moment when Chanyeol decided his mother wasn’t just crazy, she was bat crazy.

“Go, go.” She pushed Chanyeol with one hand on his back into the living room. In separate recliners were two men in suits with tinted black glasses on, one was smiling while the other was busy sipping his tea. Or that’s what Chanyeol was going to assume, seeing how his eyes were hidden behind the glasses.

So his mother isn’t just secretly dating she was also polyandry to? “Mom-” Chanyeol tried again, only for his mom to shove him down in a cushion on the couch then sat on his other side.

“Chanyeol, this is Mr. Kyung and Mr. Wang, they will be staying in the … guest house. This is my son Chanyeol.”

That would explain it all so much better.

Chanyeol felt a bit guilty, of course his mother wouldn’t do stuff like that. Would she? No one could really tell what his mother was ever thinking about; it was like she wasn’t even human. But rest assure, Chanyeol was more than positive his mother was not anything but a human.

“I’m very sorry that were intruding into your house like this, I promise you we’ll be out in few weeks’ time. Please, just act like were not even there.” Mr. Wang said in broken Korean, Chanyeol deemed him to be Chinese.

With a quick shake of his head and an outstretched hand, “Oh no, it’s perfectly fine. We need a little new here anyways,” As he shook Mr. Kyung’s hand, Chanyeol noticed that his grip was tight and that would explain why his suit button looked ready to burst at any moment. This dude was seriously buff. Chanyeol made a mental note to never get on his bad side. “I only ask that you please pick up after yourself-”

“Chanyeol!” His mother squealed, slapping his arm with more strength then a normal woman in her thirties should have. Chanyeol internally winced; resisting the urge to rub where he knew was going to bruise later. “Sorry, he’s not used to having other people around. Not since… anyways. Please, make yourself at home; I’ll go get the keys for the place.”

Both of the men smiled at his mother as she disappeared into the hallway and somewhere into her room, then they turned to Chanyeol, “Hey kid, how long have you guys lived here?” His tone had changed from polite to I’m-better-than-you in less than seconds.

Chanyeol looked at both of them, wondering if he should answer truthfully or keep his mouth shut. But the thought of them asking his mother then snitching that Chanyeol lied, that was an encounter Chanyeol never wanted to have. “We’ve lived here for my whole life.”

“Well then how old are you?” Mr. Kyung asked as he locked eyes with Chanyeol.

That guy was downright scary. If he had told Chanyeol to jump off a bridge or even a cliff, Chanyeol would do just that without a second thought. “I’m almost seventeen,”

The men exchanged a look before looking at Chanyeol, luckily this time it’s Mr. Wang who addressed him, “Wow, you’re young kid. What grade are you in?”

Would they be pleased if he sat there and told them his life story, brought out the photo albums, and maybe if it came down to it, his birth certificate? A little part of Chanyeol answered that with a tiny ‘yes’ but he mentally shook his head before smiling, “I’m finishing up my second year of high school.”

“What school you go to?” Chanyeol accidently winced when Mr. Kyung questioned him, his voice sounded closer than it actually was and Chanyeol for a second thought he was going to die. What was taking his mother so long?! “Are you okay kid?”

Chanyeol sent a silent pray when the man stood to approach him but Chanyeol put his hand up, “Sorry, I get this twitch when I’m tired. You see my monster of a mother woke me up at four, since I suppose you guys arrived here a few minutes before, and I did a lot of studying last night. All in all, I’m exhausted. Sorry if I worried you.” It was a lie of course but Chanyeol was surprised when the man nodded in acknowledgement and sat back down.  

“Who did you call a monster?” His mother asked as she walked back into the living room. Great now she comes back, Chanyeol thought to himself as he smiled sheepishly at his mother. Leave it to her to walk in whenever Chanyeol has something bad to say. It’s like she had this antenna in her head that tells her when Chanyeol was bad mouthing people, cause in seconds she’s always there ready to discipline him.

“Sorry for the long wait, I had forgotten where I put it. But here it is,” She said cheerfully, extending her hand toward them with the key and a little oval on a chain reading their street address. Chanyeol had a feeling that having their house number on the keys was dangerous. What if someone found them and decided, ‘Oh hey, I should break into their house.’ Yeah not really something pleasant to come home to.    

Mr. Wang lightly took the keys from his mother’s hand and Chanyeol mentally thanked him. If it was Mr. Kyung who grabbed the keys, his mother’s hand might’ve broke in a million little pieces. “Thank you Ma’am and we sincerely apologize for waking you at such an hour.”

He watched his mother smile again and wave her hand, “Oh no, don’t worry about that. If you two need anything, please don’t hesitate to come and ask. Usually I’m home every day but at night it’s just Chanyeol.” That’s just what he needed, a scary Mr. Kyung to know that he was always alone at night.

“I’m going back to bed then. It was nice meeting you two, and I do hope we can get along while you stay here.” After Chanyeol it he realized that it can across more as a rude statement, “Well, goodnight everyone.” With one last glance at his glaring mother, Chanyeol rushed up to his room, shut and locked the door. As soon as he knew no one could get in he went to his desk, the lamp and pulled out a piece of printer paper and a red marker. “I should probably write my Will in readable writing.”

 

 

“I already have a house bought for us,” Junmyeon said as they walked out of the elevator and dragged their luggage down the hall.

Baekhyun sighed and glanced at his cousin, “If you already have a house, then why are we staying in a hotel?” And the hotel wasn’t even that good. The wall was painted red and towards the bottom it was chipping, the whole designs were barely noticeable lines. They were staying in one of the main suites; Baekhyun could only hope it was better than the halls.

Junmyeon shook his head, a clear sign that he wasn’t going to answer Baekhyun’s question. Instead he took out the key card and turned down the last hall way. They stopped at the only door in the hall, “Here we are,” He put the key card in and the lights flashed green, “Well, go in.” He ushered Baekhyun into the room with a smile.

For it to be better than the halls was an understatement. The room looked like it was built for a president, something you would never expect if you walked through the rest of the building. There was black marble floors and even had a mini pool near the wide balcony. A huge flat screen television was built into the wall; it was from the ceiling and a foot or two up from the floor.

“You can do whatever you want; I’ve got to go … handle some stuff. You think you’ll be okay if I I’m gone for an hour or so.” Junmyeon dragged their luggage toward the huge beds in the back left side of the room, tossing them on any bed, they’d go through it later.

As Junmyeon began walking to the door Baekhyun grabbed his forearm and locked eyes with his cousin, “I think I’ll be okay, just be careful alright? Call me every thirty minutes. I repeat, every thirty minutes.” Normally Junmyeon would laugh when Baekhyun became overly protective but this time there was nothing funny in his eyes. Baekhyun was more serious than usual, “Just don’t disappear, you got it?”

Instantly Junmyeon smiled softly, “Baek, I’ll be back in an hour or so, I promise. Now, go get some sleep!” He slapped Baekhyun in the and earned a surprised yelp on his way out, “Don’t be up to late.” That was the last thing he heard before the door clicked shut.

It was little past four in the morning and they had just gotten off the plane maybe twenty minutes ago. Baekhyun had terrible jet leg but he couldn’t help himself from walking over to the glass doors that led to the balcony. Junmyeon had explained earlier in the elevator that he didn’t want Baekhyun near the windows or outside until they were a hundred percent safe. He was starting to feel like an animal in a cage, Baekhyun didn’t know exactly when he started feeling that way. Maybe it was after that phone call? Quickly Baekhyun pushed that thought away, not wanting to go back to that so soon.

A normal person would have probably listened and followed everything Junmyeon told them, but Baekhyun had never been a normal person. Normal people don’t have to run for a living. That’s what Baekhyun thought as he slid the glass door open and slowly walked out onto the balcony.

His breath hitched when he got to the railing. The whole city was lit up, flashing lights everywhere below. Baekhyun rested his arms on the railing and lightly leaned against it as he took in the city. It’s been so long since he’s seen anything like this, well except for that one time when they stayed in New York. But New York didn’t have flashing Korean writing on billboards or on the jet screen that was on almost every important building. In a place like Korean, everyone went by how impressive a building was instead of the actual product.

There was a light breeze that ruffled Baekhyun’s hair out of place; it was colder than most wind during the summer time. Maybe there was going to be a storm soon. Baekhyun took one last minute to stare out at the city he vowed to never go back to, then walked back inside and climbed into bed. It was better to be asleep when Junmyeon comes back, or else he’d see what he really doesn’t want to.       



Ayo Peasants
You all thought Baekhyun was going to move into Chanyeol's garage house<3 
Incase you aren't familiar with my other stories then I feel I should let you in on a little secret-
No one can predict whats next because there are A LOT of plot twist.
I mean, go ahead and try, but most likely it won't be that.

Thank you guys for subscribing<3

I love reading comments, so tell me what you think. Even if it's bad, contructive criticism is always welcomed here.