Stop Girl (U Kiss)

Dream. Sing. Inspire. (A Oneshot Collection)

Featuring: Sungyeol (Infinite)
Genre: slight angst
Title: What Goes Up Must Come Down

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

“I have a meeting with some colleagues today, oppa. How about tomorrow? Or this weekend?”

“But you said… Fine. See you this Saturday. You know where, right?”

“Yey! Thank you so much, oppa! I promise to be there.”

“Yeah, okay. I love you-”

The line went dead before he was able to finish his statement. Sungyeol sighed as he tucked his phone in his pocket.

She says that all the time, he thought. That’s Jaera for you. No ‘I love you too, Sungyeol oppa!’, no ‘I miss you, oppa!’.

He walked along, contemplating on how he’s going to spend his afternoon when his phone vibrated. Hoping that his girlfriend changed her mind, Sungyeol took it out. No such thing happened, though.

1 message from Hoya hyung

Hoya: You busy today, Yeol? 

Sungyeol mocked laughter as he typed up a reply.

Sungyeol: I’m about as busy as a bowl of soggy oatmeal.

Hoya: Don’t you have a date with Jaera?

Sungyeol: Don’t I always have a date with Jaera? The only problem is she’s not with me.

Sungyeol: I meant physically. She’s always in my heart, anyway.

Hoya: Oh… Stood you up again, didn’t she? Sungyeol scoffed. See, even my friends are familiar with Jaera’s behavior.

Sungyeol: Too true. So what’s up hyung? Why did you ask?

Hoya: The boys are planning to check out the new club tonight. Wanna come?

Sungyeol: Cool. The one just across Sunggyu hyung’s workplace?

Hoya: That’s the one. See you there.

 

That night, Sungyeol dressed up in a classy black button-down that he was supposed to wear on that day’s date. He drove to the new place and saw a friend of his waiting for him outside the club.

“Is this it?” said Sungyeol as he got out. He handed the valet his keys and exchanged fist bumps with Woohyun.

“What do you mean ‘is this it’? This is it! C’mon, they’re all waiting inside,” replied Woohyun and slapped a hand on Sungyeol’s back as he stirred the tall man inside.

The place was dim, and strobe lights blinked on and off like laser lights. Sungyeol could barely make out the faces of the people present, also because of how many there were. Music blared from two giant speakers up front at the DJ’s booth. The air was thick and dense, and Sungyeol couldn’t help but think how Jaera would hate the place. Woohyun led him to a table where their other friends Sunggyu and Sungjong sat waiting.

“You’re here,” greeted Sunggyu. “Have a drink, Yeol.”

“Thanks,” muttered Sungyeol. He sat himself down and downed a shot. “Where’s Hoya?”

“Owning the floor,” said Sungjong. “Check it.”

Indeed he was. The crowd on the dance floor was parted to give way to a performance at the middle. Hoya radiated heat whenever he danced, and the floor seemed to catch on fire where he moved. But then, someone stepped up and challenged him. The new guy’s moves, compared to Hoya’s sleek and smooth dance, were rougher and stronger, but still very impressive nonetheless.

“Who’s that?” asked Sungyeol, pointing to the new guy.

“I don’t know…” said Sungjong.

“I think I’ve seen him before,” said Sunggyu, scrutinizing the crowd. “Yeah, in mall shows and dance competitions. He always won. But his name…”

“Dongwoo, is that right?” asked Woohyun, looking to Sunggyu for confirmation. The latter’s face eased with recognition and nodded.

The dance battle went on until the song ended.  Hoya and the guy Dongwoo shook hands as the crowd applauded for them, then parted ways. Hoya came to his friends’ table, gleaming with sweat.

“Dude, grab a towel,” grimaced Sungjong when Hoya plopped down beside him. The latter grabbed a shot glass and downed the contents in one gulp.

“That’s the most fun I had in weeks!” exclaimed Hoya.

Sungyeol laughed along with them, but half of him wanted to check on Jaera. Did she get home safely? It was late already, after all. Sungyeol was about to whip out his phone when Woohyun tapped him rapidly.

“Hey, is it just me, or it that Jaera over there?” he whispered with urgency.

Sungyeol looked to where Woohyun was pointing to. A girl with long dark hair was conversing with a group of guys across the club. She was in a black mini dress and pumps. Her back was to them, thus Sungyeol didn’t recognize her.

“I don’t think so,” muttered Sungyeol. That sultry woman can’t be my sweet Jaera. He was about to turn and grab another shot when the girl spun and Sungyeol caught a glimpse of her face. His heart stopped.

It was Jaera.

Overcome by anger, Sungyeol rose from their table and strode towards the small group. He didn’t stop to ask why she was there, what she was doing, or who she was talking to. He walked up to her, grasped her shoulder, and turned her to face him.

The look on the girl’s face changed from confusion to annoyance then froze on fear. Fear on having been caught by her boyfriend, that is.

“S-Sungyeol…”

“Jaera. I didn’t think I’d find you here,” Sungyeol said in a low voice. “Your colleagues?”

“No, they—”

“We just met,” said one guy. He had dark eyes and dark hair. “Who’s this, babe?”

“Well, Myungsoo, this is—”

“I’m her boyfriend,” said Sungyeol a little louder, addressing the dark-eyed male. They exchanged heated glares.

“You have a boyfriend?” said Myungsoo disbelievingly. “You said you weren’t attached…”

“No, Myungsoo, he—”

“Ohh, so I’m not your boyfriend,” said Sungyeol with mock realization. “Right. You should’ve told me earlier, then I wouldn’t have been sticking around. I was annoying, wasn’t I? I should’ve known too. Meetings with colleagues? Reunions? Bullcrap. You must’ve toured all the bars in Gangnam by now, one per night. You must be laughing right now because of how stupid I was to believe every single one of your stories, huh? Seriously, when will you ever grow up, Jaera? But don’t answer that. You might lie again. I'll just end this here. Good night.”

Sungyeol turned to go, but Jaera caught his arm and wrapped her own around it. “Oppa, please, let me explain.”

Sungyeol wordlessly shrugged her off and walked away. He said a quick ‘I’m going home’ to his friends before going on his way. Over the boom of the music, he heard Jaera call out ‘Myungsoo!’ but got no reply. He smiled sarcastically. It had never really been me, had it?

He shook his head, trying to hide his trodden heart and moist eyes.

It’s time to stop. Your love was never real.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

A/N: My skills are getting a little rusty... I should practice some more, right?