Chapter 06

Tracking Point

 

     After Tiffany finished working and changed into a more casual outfit she meandered herself through the mass of people circulating in Osaka central station to reach the platform on where she was supposed to meet Taeyeon for again.

She glanced down at her phone to check the time and thoughts she had put away entered her tired mind again. For a moment she wished she could just call her dad to see if he was doing alright, and in fact she was just about to hit the call button when she suddenly had to think about how he just simply turned her down the last time.

He was always too busy for everything not work related. Her mom used to joke around by saying in reality he was married with his company, making her marriage appear like nothing more but an affair to her. Tiffany never really understood the humor behind the idea and now she was simply disgusted how cynically things were developing ever since her mother had passed away.

Her fingers tipped nervously on the black of the escalator’s strap. Imperceptibly her head started to hurt from the growing fatigue of the afternoon as another concern grew on her. The strange way Taeyeon used to put her words out, was unnerving her in some ways, she couldn’t explain. They were both Korean, they both lived in Japan, seemingly, but Taeyeon continues to speak in Japanese without even hesitating.

She is trying to conceal something!

The escalator brought her to the top platform and although the whole area was horribly stuffed with people Tiffany immediately caught the glimpse of Taeyeon’s delicate countenance. She is so slim, she thought, secretly wondering about the whereabouts of the huge bags and suitcases she had brought along with her this morning. From afar Tiffany could clearly see that Taeyeon was still dressed the professional way, making her look like she was on her way to work.

Unsure which language to use, Tiffany hesitated to greet her for a second when Taeyeon directed a plain 'hello' at her, leaving the typical bow out. Taeyeon, however, began talking Japanese without using any formal level of speech or hitting at any specific topic. She is still talking in Japanese, Tiffany noticed irritated, not daring to point it out in her well-bred manner before she joined in the conversation.

“You don’t look too stressed out, though” Tiffany remarked hesitantly, awaiting her response. “Yeah, you see, I’m just about to move from Tokyo to Osaka. Today I just brought my last belongings over.” Taeyeon encountered, her joyful mood immediately cheering up the scene. After getting her work done Taeyeon seemed to have brushed off all the professional seriousness that usually draws a line of separation between workers and people on leisure. It suited her all too well and Tiffany couldn’t help but smile at her newly found acquaintance. The initial fear started to dissolve with every that was spoken.

“And you’re doing it all by yourself? Must be quite a deal to do everything on your own considering the trouble I had when I first came here.” Taeyeon gave a hearty smile at her words. Her eyes rested on her face for a second before she opened and remarked “You’re not that old Tiffany, aren’t you?” “21” Tiffany affirmed within a classical nod, presenting her magnificent smile which the other only picked up.

A sharp overhead announcement introduced the incoming train that headed all the way up to Tokyo. Both set a few steps towards the platform edge, observing the end of the train track in hope to the catch the view of a little shape which size would gradually increase in its approach.

Tiffany felt the comforting breeze of the evening on her face while she stood there waiting side by side with Taeyeon, feeling her heart and soul spread into the last light of the day. At least tonight she wouldn’t be lonesome.

“Tiffany?” A steady voice called her back to the platform. “Can I ask you for a favor?” Tiffany turned to Taeyeon and caught her look right when the train came rushing by. A strange layer of absence was intertwined in her gaze and Tiffany couldn’t quite set its origin. Is she feeling the same way I do, she asked herself while the train was approaching. “Yes?”  “Let me pay for the ticket. You don’t have to spend your money on this, alright?” Taeyeon asked, her voice mixed with some kind of unsettled compassion that instantly made Tiffany comfortable.

The train came to a halt before their feet and after they stepped in Taeyeon swiftly bought the couple ticket at the ticket machine inside. Feeling obliged to add something to this invitation Tiffany swiftly seized Taeyeon by her wrist and guided her to the most comfortable seats she knew.

Tiffany had to shudder at the feeling of Taeyeon’s skin on her own, since it was the first time she felt something human close to her. It was instantly consoling her and just for the blink of an eye she yearned for something more inside. Having these slender arms wrapped around her, seeking comfort in the close embrace of another human being. However Tiffany just went ahead, knowing it was nothing but absurd to feel this way about a stranger and cast these thoughts off.