Chapter 11

Tracking Point

Taeyeon was taken aback by Yuri’s solid body frame. In the few weeks they hadn’t seen each other quite another aura of authority and strength had wrapped itself around her. She seemed to have grown from the things she had to do for the Son Nyeon Lee.

Unlike Taeyeon no one expected her to monitor people and deliver all sorts of information about them. All she had to do was controlling the protection money system the Son Nyeon kept running next to the ion circle. Therefore her reputation was far greater within the organization because she was a simple executer like Taeyeon, she was a commander, sitting by the money source and controlling it. And the dodge viper that pulled up before Taeyeon with the wiggling snake as a bonnet mascot was quite an evidence for that.

“What did I told you about getting into a stranger’s cars?” Yuri stepped out the sports car, a blue streak through her black hair shimmered in the morning light. The car door felt shut.

“Yuri…” Taeyeon tried to encounter but she felt her own words slipping through the grip of her mind. She was intimidated by Yuri’s new harshness. She could almost sense her intent gaze upon her own skin.

“This is a thing that should not occur! Not under any circumstances! You know who we are! We do not make mistakes!” A sigh of relief escaped her lips as Taeyeon found that Yuri only repeated the common lectures, which were more than prevalent to every gang member. Fortunately, she abstained from demonstrating her superiority to her. Instead she proved her attachment towards Taeyeon once again. Taeyeon knew at least she could trust her.

“So. What now?” Yuri crossed her arms. Her strong gaze jumped across Taeyeon’s face, challenging her to talk. “Tell me about what happened.”

“Well…“ Taeyeon began but Yuri interrupted quickly.

“No. Not here. Let’s talk this over in my car.” She said and waved her over to get in. Inside, she let the keys slide into the ignition, started the engine in an instant and drove off.

“So. How exactly did that happen? As far as I know all you had to do was playing the friend card, get the information out of her, deliver a report and that’s it. Just a quick spy-job.” Yuri asked in her candid manner. Taeyeon began to recall every event of the evening in detail before she related the whole incident to her.

“Yeah. And I had almost everything done except for her father’s whereabouts which was the actual question. So, when she invited me for a drink, I though the best way was to get her drunk and tell me all about her father.”

“So did she?”

“Uh-huh”

“And where does he live now?”

“Seoul, Gangnam, Right above the PK clinic, I guess…” Taeyeon paused for a second to recollect what Tiffany had told her last night.

“And he’s the head of this huge pharmacy enterprise” She added.

“Did she tell you that?” Yuri cut in without letting Taeyeon finish her thoughts.

“No.”

“Did you know that?” Taeyeon replied.

“Yup. Of course I did. The Choi’s and the Hwang’s have been creating this huge controversy over the last decade in Korea. They run against each other for the predominance of the pharmacy market. Pretty hilarious how they always try to up each other if you ask me. Lately, however, the Hwang’s have been dominating the market but ever since Choi’s son took on his father’s lead, I guess it’s safe to say that things will be changing a little.”

“So that’s why he kidnapped her.” Taeyeon concluded, bitterly thinking about what Tiffany had entrusted her about her mother. All fibers of her solid body clenched in a sudden flash of anxiety. They would kill her, her heart almost threatened to plummet.  

“Basically, yes. But, Taeyeon, you see, our situation isn’t actually that bad.” Taeyeon’s gaze tailed out into the distance, avoiding Yuri’s presence that reminded her all too unpleasantly of her failure.

“Listen.” Yuri went on, her blue streak hanging loosely from her plait now. “Choi’s son abducted her, right? And we know for certain, it’s him, right? And we also know that it’s none other than Tiffany Hwang we’re speaking of. So why don’t we inform her father right away that his daughter is held as a hostage by none other than his rival? I’m sure, he would go mad for it’s such a grave insult and do anything to resolve this situation. Also, we would thwart Choi’s plans by preempting him. And this is where we get to enter the play. Due to our knowledge and ability it wouldn’t be more but pulling the joker you kept hidden in our sleeve in a game of cards. It’s as easy as that. Choi’s boys might hold Tiffany as a hostage but we’re the one that are pulling the strings. We just let this information sink in at Hwang’s, demand a nice fee from him and then we find out we’re Choi is hiding and let the trap spring.” Her fingers snapped to her words.

“Also afterwards we can offer Hwang protection for his daughter and also for himself. And I guess, after all, this will be an offer he cannot refuse.” Taeyeon nodded in response but still she couldn’t pull herself together. After all, she wasn’t convinced by Yuri’s plans yet.

“Look, Taeyeon, it’s not your fault. That could have happened to any of us. Sometimes things just go wrong.” Yuri’s hand rested casually on the cold leather of the steering wheel and although her alert, almond shaped eyes didn’t let go off the traffic for a single time, she could sense clearly that Taeyeon felt uncomfortable about her idea.  

“I just thought, you know, I could save her.” Taeyeon suddenly admitted, gazing off in the distance. It just popped out of her. Her heart felt heavy with guilt in her chest. “Shield her from this treachery. She’s too precious, too lovely to be wasted on such a game.  Too innocent, you know?”

“Sounds like you’d have a crush on her.” Yuri remarked on the side with a cheeky smile on her face. Her gaze swept over Taeyeon, easily detecting her inner turmoil. Therefore she decided to drop the topic for the sake of her short-tempted underling. Instead she reached for her cellphone and quickly dialed a number. As her call was answered on the other side of the line she guised her tone in a layer of professional courtesy.

Without letting her eyes leave the traffic for a single moment she settled various arrangements. The phone seemed to be glued to her cheek after a while. Usually Taeyeon would settle these deals herself but this time she couldn’t risk slipping down the greasy pole when she had to explain the situation to everyone. Yuri had more power within the Son Nyeon Lee. No one would ever question her orders for a second.

A silent pause followed after Yuri’s last call ended. Amidst the busy traffic Yuri’s facial expressions indicated that she was still thinking about the arrangements she had just set. Everything would be going according her plans. The operation would start tonight. The last thing that was left to be done was finding out where Choi was residing.

Taeyeon’s body was tensed with nervousness in prospect of the upcoming night. Still, she didn’t know what part of this undertaking would be assigned to her but she did not dare to speak up in Yuri’s presence.

Yuri’s phone rang again after they had passed the bustling junction. Taeyeon held her breath.

“Taeyeon” Yuri put out after the call had ended. “Choi’s staying at the Hilton, near Tokyo Tower. We’ll attack at 8:30PM. Everything’s set. The boys are out.”

‘The boys are out’ was the inside code for ‘no turning back’. Taeyeon knew from past operations that none of the people involved would come out of this hassle unharmed. The upcoming night would leave its mark either way and Taeyeon could only pray for her own safety and more importantly for the safety of Tiffany.

Right in that moment Taeyeon realized how deeply she had drawn a bound to her. And right in that moment as well she promised by her life that she would do everything it takes to protect her.

Lips pressed tightly together those words kept being unspoken but she sent her vow up into the first sunrays of the day in hope they would eventually reach Tiffany.

The road in the windscreen seemed to be endless for Taeyeon as well as her aspiration. No matter what the outcome of the night will be, I will keep fighting for her.