neverland

Goodnight Baby

He knocked twice. No answer from the other side of the metallic door. The sound echoing through the opened hallway gave Daniel a sense of danger. The skies promised more rain for the following day. He had no more time to spend waiting. His fist punched the door as he knocked again. “Taemin!” his voice cracked. Strong gushes of wind swiped him away. “Taemin!” he screamed at the door. Nobody dared tell him what happened. “Taemin, for the sake of... open up!” he couldn’t help it anymore. He had to have some. It wasn’t about craving, but about forgiving and forgetting. He asked for solitude and received a bucket load of nightmares. “Taemin!” a loud thunder vibrated through his body. Both his hands slapped the door, punched it, his feet kicked at it. The storm was approaching faster than he had been expecting. 

 

 

“Taemin! Taemin! Taemin! Taemin!” he whispered and twisted and twirled around the bed sheets until his head collided with one of the cold pillows and soothed his dreams. As his breathing became steadier, Daniel finally forced his eyelids opened. With windows closed tight and the curtains pulled over, there was a scarce chance of getting wet. His fingers through his damped hair dictated otherwise. As he forced his body into a standing position, two arms that were not his wrapped around him. A palm forced his face over somebody’s chest. Daniel inhaled his soft cologne coming from the fabric of his clothes.

They haven’t exchanged a single word since the kiss from two days ago when Changmin pushed Daniel off him so hard that the boy hit his back against the opposite wall. A few photos crashed to the ground, with their frames broken and their glass shattered. As if nothing happened, Changmin immediately rushed to his side and helped him up, checked for any wounds and didn’t question his actions. Daniel could only stare as another taught him how pain felt before offering love. He had taken hostage the upstairs bed ever since, yearning for more and more. His lips kept biting at his finger with minimum force. Daniel barely ate, barely moved out of the bed and barely spoke. Changmin sometimes embraced him admist all and calmed his spirits down, but only for a second.

Those nights, right before succumbing to the sleep that had been taunting him, he couldn’t help but notice Changmin’s wall of “memories”. Daniel dubbed it like that because it actually showed people. And all of them were smiling. In particular, the center had the same character: dirty blond, all-knowing smile and fox-like eyes.

On the third day since seclusion, Daniel finally attempted a peace treaty with his so-called uncle. On his tip-toes, he entered the kitchen and a playful smile graced his lips. The clouds from his mind vanished, while those outside ominously hovered above the cottage. Changmin was cutting vegetables and poured them inside boiling water. He added noodles just as Daniel approached the counter. The boy rested at the bar and couldn’t figure out who the meal was for. Two bowls near his grasp answered him. Fresh oranges quickly crumbled under Changmin’s crush. The golden liquid filled one large glass, just like the other day and the day before. No matter how much Daniel rejected Changmin’s sudden motherly care, he couldn’t resist to his cooking: simple and fast, reminiscent of the poverty back home. His reverie was cut short when Changmin poured himself some Coca Cola and let the bubbles pop while spinning the boiling mix. Daniel’s chin hit the bar’s surface as his eyes were fixed on the Coke’s dark color.

“Have you finally left your slumber?” Changmin’s voice intertwined with Daniel’s thoughts. The boy lifted his head from the glass and gave Changmin a puzzling expression. Had he ever or was he dreaming again?

“Could I ask you something?” Daniel avoided the question and tried hard not to drink the orange juice in one sip. It was far from his reach anyway.

“Haven’t you already?” Changmin’s might seem cold at that moment, but Daniel couldn’t figure out his mind anymore. His elbows hit the counter as he leaned forward and watched the other stir some more in the improved instant noodle meal.

“Who’s the guy in your bedroom?” Changmin almost dropped the chopsticks. He wished the question to stay somewhere lost in the boy’s mind, never to make an appearance between their short conversations. He poured the soup in two bowls and ignored it. Daniel couldn’t seem to shake off the sensation of stepping inside a minefield. Yet, he was curious on whose face was plastered all around the wall. It was as if his spirit was trapped inside of them, forever at Changmin’s disposal.

Daniel had a lost look while gazing at the kitchen door.

“Eat up. Then take a bath. You stink.” Changmin’s voice startled him. He had been such a sweet guy so far. Daniel presumed he had taken the joke too far.

“I’m sorry... I just,”

“Took me for granted. I know. Now eat.”

And the only sound between them was that of chopsticks and spoons hitting the bowls.

Daniel felt bad for everything. He wished he’d find a rabbit hole and disappear to Wonderland. Peter Pan would never search for his dirty self.

 


 

A/N: I don't know how to say this, but I'm thinking of dropping the story. I'll let it rest for a while and see what happens after. Thank you for reading!