prologue

Goodnight Baby

 

 

He ran. Drums replaced his heart and sang their music throughout the darkest night. Howls of a fiendish blizzard covered his body in a thin layer of frozen stars. Bones were replaced by ice sculptures melting under his body’s pressure. Noises engulfed him and a horror expression carved his face. Widen eyes cracked and jewel orbs crashed against the snow. A silent scream measured his anguish.

 

 

Changmin’s breath was cut short. He forced his nightmare to an end. He tried to relax under the warm blankets and acquire their safe embrace before he finally opened his eyelids and let oxygen fill his lungs. An arm covered his face, yet he had no idea whose. Was it really his or of the demon crawling inside his dreams? Numbness shaved his fears away and gave him a cold shower of sweat. He slowly forced his way up and gazed around the spacious room. Sketches surrounded him. Shadows and dim light brought forth his wild imagination. The ed white shirt lazily hung over his sunken shoulders. The pajamas pants almost fell off his hips. He reached for the D-SLR Nikon on the stand. He opened the cap blocking the lens and pressed the power button. Afterwards, shutter sounds and bright flashes made shapes appear from their hideout. A wall covered with photos woke him up. He slowly let go of the camera. A blank stare confined him to contemplation.

What exactly was he running from?

At first, it seemed there was nobody there. He could hear sounds and moans. At some point, heavy clouds gathered upon him. It was as if something flew above his head and continuously taunted him. Everything twisted. He could swear among the terror clustering his emotions... he heard his own voice.

Changmin leaned his head against his palms. “It was just a dream.”  He told himself over and over again, until his spine regretfully announced its need for rest. Changmin collapsed back on top of the bed and stared at the white ceiling. It had a single fluorescent star, fading as sleep regained dominance.

No more monsters followed him that night. He was abruptly brought back to reality by a ring. The camera rolled around his legs when he stretched for his mobile phone. Teeth scrapped at his lips.

“Is your brother Shim Chang Hee?” the womanly voice on the other line confused Changmin for a second. He indeed had a brother with that very name, yet he hadn’t heard a thing about him in almost twenty years. They never got along. Changmin treasured social life and also acknowledged his strengths and weaknesses. Chang Hee was the type to work only by his creed, one that endangered everybody around him and earned them insults. Funny how they've exchanged personalities over the years.

“Yes, he is. Whom am I speaking to?” his toes curled and touched the camera’s cold carcass. He couldn’t keep his voice higher, nor speak louder. His rough tone reminded the other of the late hour.

“I’m sorry to be calling at this hour. Mister Shim is unavailable.” Changmin had to repeat the sentences over and over again in his mind. Was it a joke? What was the urgent matter for them to disturb him?

“What do you mean?” unfortunately for him, he missed the part where the person presented itself. Maybe that’s why he couldn’t properly comprehend the situation.

“Yes, of course, I’ll get to the point. Your nephew...”

Changmin had no nephews. His brother wasn’t even married. It was definitely one of those sick pranks.

“...has been found on the streets of Seoul. He has been ually assaulted.”

“What?”

“We require your attention as he is a minor.”

Changmin deeply sighed and rolled his eyes inside his head. They were so sore.

“Fine...”

He stumbled around the room until he reached the switch and turned the lights on. He scribbled the address on a piece of paper and folded it inside his jean’s pockets which adorned a chair. He rejoined his lover, the pillow, and decided to postpone his duty for morning.

He wasn’t enough of a fool to follow a trail in the middle of the night when it stank of rotten lies.