It Girl

Pinky Promise

Chapter four: It Girl

 

I looked at the chart our adviser gave us. Right now, it was empty. The first week at the Academy was always about figuring out which classes to enroll to. The curriculum was complicated that way. For as long as you complete the required amount of units, you’re in the clear. It was possible to graduate without ever taking a single algebra class, though you would have to take a different course of math if that was the case.

Those were called ‘mandatory classes’. We needed at least one math and science subject per semester, three of language classes and two art classes. If you think about it, there was only one subject you can freely choose because you’re supposed to have eight classes loaded.

So I wrote geometry, biology, Korean grammar and literature, basic English, human structure, ballet and drama. When I was satisfied, I wrote my name on the syllabus and passed it up from.

Son Naeun.

Everything but English were sophomore level classes. I didn’t take it when I was a freshman because I wasn’t really confident in taking it up. I’m pretty much regretting that because I found out how important having it was as a second language.

“Son Naeun?” Our adviser called.

“De?” I panicked. I really didn’t like standing up in front of the class. Everyone looked at me. It made me think if I would do something wrong at that time, people would laugh at me. I’m actually jealous of the people who laugh at being the class clown. I can’t be like that because I’m deathly scared of being ridiculed in public.

He motioned his hand to come closer. So I did, praying that I don’t trip and fall along the way; thankfully, I didn’t. I was happy about that.

He cleared his throat first; then he circled grammar and drama out of my syllabus. “I think you should take different subjects.”

My stomach sank. Acting was the only thing I was good at; last year, I was the Cinderella at the school play. It was the first time a freshman played lead. It was one of the nicest experiences I had. Why would my adviser want me to change my course now?

He wrote over the paper with a red ballpoint: Theatre drama and Cinema, both were senior grade subjects. I blinked.

“I think you’re good enough to take these subjects.” He smiled.

I didn’t know what to say. I’ve always wanted to study theatrical acting deeper because of last year’s play! And Cinema too, those were the subjects I planned to take next year! Being able to take them now was a blessing from heaven.

“What do you say?” He asked again. “These would go well on your literature and ballet.”

“Yes! Yes! I’ll take them!” I jumped. I’ve never been happier in my life.

He signed my enrollment form and gave them to me. “Do your best this year too.”

You bet I will! I bowed at him while I took the paper in my two hands. I felt like my destiny was finally on my hands. I hope things go well too! Standing on the stage was the only thing that made me happy now.

I made my way to my seat and took out my phone to text my mom. For me, this was big news. I have to tell her right away!

I heard someone whistle. I glanced to my right to see Yookyung looking at my class schedule. “Theatre drama is harder than just regular drama, right? Cinema too! These are really hard subjects. Are you sure you’re getting them?”

“I’m positive.” I nodded. I leaned in so we can compare our classes. “Oh look! We have geometry and biology together.”

Yookyung nodded. “You’re taking basic English? Can’t you take something more intermediate than that, just so we can be classmates on more subjects?”

I shook my head furiously and whined. “How can I? Look at what you’re taking: Europeanliterature, public speaking and advanced screenwriting. You’re too good.”

“Then take painting or piano instead.” She said as she pointed to her art subjects.

“Why don’t you take sketching with me instead?” I grinned.

“That’s gross! They get people in there!” Yookyung pinched me.

“That’s just one lesson!” I shouted. “It’s better than getting oil all over yourself everyday!”

“Touché.” She laughed.

I sighed as I finished sending my mother a text. When I glanced at Yookyung, she was staring at me.

“Mwoeyo?” I asked.

“You’ve changed.” Yookyung said. “Before, I couldn’t get you to say a single word at me. Now you’re this drama rock star. I’ll admit; I’m jealous.”

“What are you saying?” I laughed. “I’m only like that because everything was practiced. I’m not really all that! Besides...” I took my form from her desk and shove it in my bag.

“I’m still the same person, y’know.” I assured her.

Yookyung played with the bookmark I got her on her birthday. “If you say so...”

When the bell rang, we went outside and walked around campus. It was nice to be back, though spring break was basically just a week and a half long. We settled ourselves under the shade of one of the trees. Our favorite used to be the White tree, but that burned down last year so... That was a bummer.

We were in front of our male classmates and some other boys. The Academy had this large space of grass where the boys played hacky sack. There weren’t many girls that hung around here because they preferred gossiping in the cafeteria.

Yookyung opened her lunch first. “They packed too much Kimbab again.”

I took my chopsticks and immediately took one away. “Gwenchana. Give the rest to me.”

Suddenly, Baro sat down next to us. He was carrying a bag of chips and some cola.

“Who’s up for some dried squid?”

Yookyung kicked him. “Baro, you scared me!”

He was laughing now. He was a really jolly person but sometimes I feel like he doesn’t know that he’s annoying, like the way he’s munching on the snack he brought. It practically made crunching sounds to my ear.

“Ya ya, Naeunah. I heard you took some really hard classes.” He said, in between bites.

“I heard they’re difficult but I think I’ll enjoy them.” I said.

He laughed. “That’s what I like about this girl!” He pointed. “She’s such a hottie. You should be more like Naeun, Yookyungie.”

Yookyung took one of her light novels and smacked it across his face.

“I think you better think over what you just said.” She said as she took one of the canned sodas and opened it. “There weren’t any diet?”

Baro was holding his nose. “GAWD!” He screamed. He even fell on the ground and rolled around. Yookyung never paid attention to him when he acted like this... But it seems wrong not to be worried at the least.

“Omo! Barossi. Gwenchanayo?” I asked.

Yookyung’s hand went to stop me. “He’s kidding.”

Baro stopped going back and forth on the grass. “Dammit, Yookyung!”

“I’ve known this guy since I was a kid. Don’t trust him.” She smiled.

The boy stood up and dusted his clothes. “You’re no fun.”

“Then what classes are you taking, Barossi?” I asked.

He shrugged. “Just the normal ones. Geo and Bio...”

“Those are standard 2nd year classes.” Yookyung said. “She meant...”

“I know what she meant!” He said, but he just slumped next to us. “... It’s just that, I’m not sure what to do with my life yet exactly.”

Yookyung and I looked at each other.

“Mwoya? What’s with this bad vibe all of a sudden?” She asked.

Baro just continued eating. “I dunno, but I still have four days to lock my schedule. I’ll choose by then.”

“Do you want to talk about it?” I asked.

“Aniya, we cool.” Baro said.

Sometimes, I think that I’m not the only introvert in the world. Everyone keeps something to themselves. It’s a self-defense mechanism. Like how Baro was acting now, I bet he’s in a lot of pain. Thing is, unless he can tell us what’s going on; I don’t think we can help him on anything. He has to man up and tell us about it. If not now, then hopefully... Soon.

As for me, I really don’t have any reason for being timid. I just am. In my opinion, my parents raised me right. They gave me everything that I need to go to school and stuff, so I can’t really ask for anything more than that. I don’t complain; and when things get tough, I can just endure it.

Though, after what happened last year... I hope I can make this year mine again. I really like to be known as someone people can look up to for a change. I’m happy I started strong by getting into these great classes!

I just hope I’m not getting ahead of myself.