Prologue

Pinky Promise

I poked my head out the car window. Good bye, city air! Hello countryside! Ever since my brother got adopted, I've been doing my best to impress a family so I can get out of the orphanage. I learned to cook, clean and be extra diligent on my studies. Living with other children didn't bother me, it was living away from my brother that I can't stand. How can they even separate children who only had each other? How crazy is that?

It was two years ago. I can remember crying for days since he left. It was because he was so good in singing and playing the guitar. His adoptive family fell in love with him while he was singing me a lullaby. I wished he was less talented though. I wish he would've just stood still and just be normal like me. So then he would never have left, all the nightmares in the world would have been an easy trade for that.

But now, I finally got into a foster home! From the moment I found out that they were from Jeonju, I just had to get their attention. I didn't care if I danced awkwardly or sung off tune. Just give me a look, maybe you'll like what you see... And maybe.

Maybe I can see him again.

"Namjuah, roll up your window. We're almost there." The driver said.

I nodded and held the window button down. Slowly, the cool green colors of Jeonju faded behind the shade of the tinted windows and the icy air of the lingering winter clime stayed outside. It was already spring and the weather was chilled enough to give you a cold.

I was mildly disappointed that I wasn't going to live in a traditional pit style house. In fact, I've always imagined Jeonju to have only Hanoks. I guess I was wrong because ahjussi brought me to an apartment complex.

The fresh morning air welcomed me as I got out of the car. It made me cough because the air was 'too clean' for a girl whose been living under a grime of smoke all her life. I heard that any sudden alternations in lifestyle strains the mind and body. I have to be careful of that.

The man helped my pull out my suitcase from the trunk. This are all the things I own. We can't expect the orphanage to provide us with luxurious items because we were so many. Just seven or eight changes of clothes, that was it. It wasn't much, but it was just enough for me.

When I looked at the driver ahjussi, he was holding a dirty white envelop in his two hands. It looked old and crumpled. I didn't want to take it, but since he was holding it up like that. I figured it was only polite to do so.

We bowed to each other. He was probably the last person from the orphanage I'll get to see. But I didn't mind that, the day has come for me to move on to a new chapter in my life. I can hear the car start up and roar, but all I can hear is the sound of freedom. It made me smile.

As he drove away, I wondered if he will ever know how thankful the people whom he accompanied to their new homes are to him. Or if he knew that the children that remained in the orphanage imagined his death in grotesque ways. I used to do that too; until I grew up and understood what his job meant. He watched them grow, bond with them then delivered them to loving families. Could he be hurting as well?

I pocketed the letter in my coat and bowed one last time. He probably never saw me do it, but I did it anyway. 

I carried my luggage to my new home. I took out a note that was given to me before I left for the province. 021289. I pressed the security code.

I was expecting my new family to welcome me in. Instead, I find a teenaged boy in his pajamas, playing Dragon Nest on the LED. There was a bowl of popcorn and some empty cans of soda on the coffee table. The curtains were drawn to a close and kept the sunlight out of the house. He paused the game and looked at me. "Oh, you're here? Great. Nan baegopa."

I blinked. Who is this person?

He threw the Xbox controller at the sofa and went to change slippers beside me. The shoe rack was wide enough for four people, but it only had a on pair of slippers, sandals, sneakers and some leather shoes for school. He winked as he took his keys of the sidetable. "Gaja?"

"Igeo mwoyeyo?" I asked, confused, pointing at the common room.

He locked his arms on my shoulders and dragged me out. "Ya, Kim Namjoo. From now on, you do what oppa says, ye? When he says 'Ah! Baegopa', we go out to eat!"

"But its ten o'clock, haven't you eaten breakfast yet?" I asked, eyeing his choice of clothing: an ash grey sweatshirt and some colorful PJs. Is this what I've gotten myself into?

"You're gonna love living with me!" Completely ignoring my question, he nudged me before pressing the elevator button. He hid his hands inside the pockets of his shirt. "I'm a pretty cool guy, y'know."

"Nuguseyo?" I asked as politely as I could.

"Oh, right." He laughed. "Kim Donghyun, I'm your new brother."

The elevators slid open and we went inside. He kept talking on the way down, while walking to the noodle stand and eating. It was a non-stop blabber about him, his life and his motorcycle.

I don't want a new brother. I want the old one back.