Soulmate

Pinky Promise

Chapter one: Soulmate

 

The sun was up but the cool spring breeze swept pass us as we walked along Highstreet. It was a place that stretched across uptown Jeonju and housed different fashion bontiques. It was the only place where you can find the lastest trends from Seoul.

My brother and I went to check our uniforms. School was starting the next day and our mother insisted in checking to see if it fits. It happened that our tailor was right at the edge of the road. Ironically, the lane didn't allow vehicles to enter, so we had to walk.

I saw my brother entering one of the stores. My eyes went to read the colorful signage near the door: Skool Looks. They always had the kind of jackets he liked. I followed him inside and saw a burst of pastel colors. It looks like their Spring collection was out.

"Check this out. It looks like a couple shirt!" He said as he tossed a blue jacket to me. He wore the red one. "We should totally buy this!"

I sighed as I placed the clothes back to the rack. "We look gay. Stop it." It was stupid, why did everything have to match with us? When our mother brought us things, she would buy in pairs. They would have the same shoes, bags, even their underwears matched! It was horrifying stupid.

I glanced at my watch. See? Even our Rolex's are the same. Damn, it's almost noon and I still haven't ate anything. I don't have the patience to fool around like this. I looked at my brother. "Let's get a move on."

He pointed at me. "Ya, you don't like it? Chicks. Dig. Twins." Then he pointed at the mural, the beautiful model with doe-like eyes was smiling at us. "Yoona sunbaenim told me we look 'cute' last time, remember?"

I really didn't want to remember the time when I was made to dress up in different shades of pink with him. It was really painful, but I have to admit that it was nice to be acknowledged by someone as popular as Miss Yoona. It was probably the only reason why I refrained putting a bullet through my brother's head.

He took the red jacket out and flung it to me again. "C'mon, wear it! We'll look like Gods."

I threw it back. "Hyung, nan baegopa. Let's get something to eat first."

He immediately took it off and placed the clothes back. "Now that I think about it, we never had breakfast before we left, haven't we? Alright. Let's go to T.P. We haven't been there since forever."

We went outside and turned to enter a different street. Aside from being a shopping district, uptown Jeonju was also known for coffeeshops and teahouses. I can smell the fragrance gracing my nose, eventually filling my mouth with different levels of sweetness with each step.

I tried to advert my thoughts of food to something else but failed miserable. Is it even humane that these stores just kept airing the scent of their food? I'd shamelessly sell my brother for some ice cold wintermelon milktea.

It usually takes ten minutes to get across Highstreet to the outdoor food court; but with the way we moved through the crowd, it felt like it was ten years. My brother noticed how famished I looked and looped his arm around my neck like any big brother would. "Didn't you used to like sharing things with me?"

He was trying to distract me by talking. Normally, I'd stay quiet because I thought it was a stupid question. I never answer to those kinds of inquiries; but when these vendors are in your face, practically sticking food in your mouth, I don't have much of a choice.

"I find it annoying that people compare us." I honestly said.

"Well, I think its nice that we have each other like this. Its hard to find a person that can fit with you completely, y'know?" He nodded. "Everyone else is just so... Two-faced."

"People aren't flat." I answered. You don't just look at a person and expect to know everything about them instantly. Everyone is dynamic and cynical. To say that people are 'two-faced' is an understatement.

But he's right about one thing, I don't know if it was because we were twins that we understand each other. We were the kind that can finish each other's sentences. When we worked on something together, we were efficient. The perfect match of yin yang.

"We're here." He grinned.

I lifted my head. It felt like we were lost in the jungle for days and that we finally got in touch with civilization. We were standing main branch of the popular Korean food chain: Tteokbokki Palace; their spicy ricecakes were to die for!

He heard that it started off as a small food stand. Now, it's a two storey dining powerhouse! He was told that they expanded their menu and outsourced to other locations. It became soon became a nationwide hit in a year. The woman who founded the business was a single mother who was smart enough to invest time, money and people into the business.

They entered the Korean deli. All at once, the staff's eyes shot up and paid attention to the twins. They went to the counter; but the girl that attended to it, 'Bomi', as her nameplate read; insisted on just having them sit at their finest table. My older brother didn't argue about that and just went upstairs to the VIP lounge.

I, however, stood still and politely asked if I can just pick the pre-made kimbab off the conveyor belt to bring it to our table. The junior manager (and friend), Sunggyu, reluctantly declined and told the chef to make new batches instead.

"Gwenchana, Kwangminssi. Imo will have a fit if she finds out you took from the Kuru-kuru." He tapped his shoulders. "Youngmin should've already picked a room too."

I nodded and was about to join my brother when I heard someone shout, "Ya! Pikachu!" I felt a ball of tissue hit the back of my head, I saw the waitress in front of gasp and look the other way, flustered to see someone greeting me in such a manner.

I knew exactly who it was though. "Donghyun sunbaenim." I answered.

He was laughing when we faced each other. I bowed at him casually and I bowed to the girl next to her.

At first I thought it was Donghyun's girlfriend, but then I remembered that he was courting a girl at school... Cho... something. I couldn't remember. If that was the case, who is this person then?

I smiled at her but she avoided my eyes and kept looking at the Hojeonchobab. Donghyun was saying something but I wasn't listening to a single word.

I noticed how big the fats under her eyes were; how her brown hair would just fall to the right places when she turned her head or nodded; how her lips was in just the right shade of pink and was neither too thick or thin, that it was the perfect shape.

... And how her nose just practically blew her face out of proportion.

My eyes ran down her small petite shoulders, then to her arms and hands, all the way to her long delicate fingers. Her legs were pretty long too and he imagined her skin to be smooth to touch.

She was holding her chopsticks tightly, almost to a breaking point; and ate her food in big chucks. I wondered why it looks like she has never had second thoughts in eating like that. She ate like a commando. Her side of the table had several different cleaned bowls and plates stacked up, while Donghyun only had a single serving of ramyun.

It was weird. I've never paid attention to anyone like this and it was my first time nitpicking at everything I laid my eyes on.

"Do you like what you see?" Donghyun asked.

"Huh, wha--" I fumbled on my words.

"Gwenchana. You're my dongsaeng too, y'know?" He continued, nodding like an idiot. I don't think he noticed that I didn't give a ; and that I completely lost track of the conversation.

Donghyun was always stupid enough to keep talking without even asking for their name and age. I thought it was a  standard in Korea to do that, but I guess sunbae was never a prude person to begin with.

I really wanted to know her name at least. Donghyun was an interesting person, but once you've been with him long enough; you'll notice that his stories would just repeat itself. It was like his life was stuck somewhere and he didn't made new stories to tell from that point on. I bit my lips and looked for an opening, digging my hands in my pockets and lifting my shoulders while I rocked my body back and forth.

When it was obvious that I was getting bored, he stopped talking and it was my time to speak. "Well, I should be getting back to Youngmin now. Its was nice meeting you, uh..." I trailed.

"Namjuimnida." She said. Her lips finally curving to a smile for me and I felt like she sent shocks of electricity down my spine. I felt like I died. "Bangawoyo." She casually bowed.

Donghyun clapped. "See that? My mom got me a sister, isn't it cute? Kim Namjoo! It's a nice name."

Why is he referring to her like a dog? Cute? , she's gorgeous! Oh God, that name. Namjoo. Just hearing it in my head makes me dizzy. Or maybe its just Donghyun's choice of pants. What the heck, is that Squirtle on his ?

I tried to focus, but my knees shook like crazy and my hands were sweating buckets. My mind got jumbled up and my heart pumped blood like crazy. I was completely drunk in her presence and all I can think of was to get away as fast as I can. So I returned her bow and swiveled. In my haste, I accidentally hit one of the staff and we both fell down.

Worst. Day. Ever.

The kid I bumped into looked like he was my age. Normally, I would've cursed him until he reduced himself to a size of a peanut; but I felt Namjoo's eyes follow my movements, so I helped him up. When I looked at his eyes, he looked like he didn't have the will to live for days.

"Ya, gwenchanayo?" I asked. Both of our faces were red. Donghyun was laughing his head off in the background. Jesus, can't I die now?

"Ne, gwenchana. Nan-- Oww!" He answered but before he could say anything else. Sunggyu ran towards us, panicked; then pulled the boy's ear and sent him to the kitchen.

Sunggyu's hands went to my chest and helped me dust the dirt off my coat, asking me if I'm alright repeatedly. Instead of giving him an answer, I motioned to Donghyun's table and told him to 'keep it on my tab.' Before he can even tell me its OK, I ran up the stairs in a frantic dash to save face.

And for the first time in my life, I wanted to be someone's match.