Chapter 4 - Coffee Steam

Twisted

2013.10.08

 

When I finally managed to convince my mother to let me go out to meet the others, I was already late, so in the end she took me there by car.

That would be my last day before moving away with my father. It’s not like we were going that far away, but, at that moment, I needed to forget everything and moving to a new city was the best thing I could think of, even though I would have missed those few friends I was about to meet.

When I spotted them, they were in the middle of the street, in a circle, talking. Without me knowing my eyes immediately landed on Kyungsoo. He had a bike with him and was talking with the others. I still didn’t think I liked him, I just thought I found him interesting, as a friend.

“Hi.” I said once I got closer.

“Hey there!” Chen answered, followed by Luhan and Kyungsoo. “Do you wanna go somewhere in particular? We were talking about going in one of these cafes…”

“Fine with me. We could go to that one” I said pointing at the one I always went to when I was in that area. It was never that full but the coffee was good and pricey. “I went there a few times and it’s good.”

“Never been there. Yay! Let’s go.” Luhan cheerful as always said getting his arm around Kyungsoo dragging him towards where the café entrance was.

Once we got our orders, we sat down at one of the free tables. Kyungsoo sat down beside me, Chen right in front of me and Luhan right next to him facing his friend.

To my surprise, after taking a sip of his coffee, the first one who spoke up was Kyungsoo.

“So about that guy you were talking about, have you set a date?” He asked. We didn’t need to ask who that question was addressed to; instead we just stared at Luhan.

“Yah! You already found a new guy? Why can’t you ever go stable with one?” Chen asked.

“I just can’t. It’s either they say I’m different from what they expected me to – I don’t want to even know what they expected – or I grow tired of them too fast.” Luhan answer looking down at his coffee while talking before grasping it with both his hands and take a sip.

“You do seriously have a problem.” Kyungsoo spoke again. “However you still haven’t answered me.”

“Oh, right. Nope we did not, but I believe it’ll be this week end.” Luhan said smiling.

“However we are not here because of me. Why are you moving out?” Luhan asked bluntly.

Firstly, Chen’s jaw dropped down to the floor from Luhan’s candidness, then he resolved to jab him on his ribs.

“Ouch! What?” Luhan retorted.

“You can’t just ask it like that even if you’re that curious.” Chen spat out.

“It’s fine.” I said with a little smile which only left Chen perplex. “My parents are getting a divorce and I’m going to live with my father. That’s all.”

This time it was Luhan’s jaw the one who dropped. Kyungsoo just took another sip of his coofee. That was his only reaction.

The silence was interrupted by the arrival of the maid. “Here are your snacks.” She said smiling while emptying her tray right in front of us on the table.

“If you need anything else you can push that button over there to call one of us over.” She said smiling before going away.

“I’m sorry.” Luhan said cutely after regaining himself.

“It’s fine. You couldn’t know.” I said smiling.

“You’re too straightforward.” Kyungsoo said. Luhan just showed him his tongue before digging on his ice cream.

“So, where will you live?” He then asked.

“Oh it’s a city not too distant from here so we could still see each other sometimes.” I said smiling sincerely this time.

“Fine.” Kyungsoo said smiling in return.

Luhan raised his head from the oh-so-delicious ice cream at that moment. “Shouldn’t we take a photo?” He asked as if a light went on his head.

“You’re right.” Chen answered while me and Kyungsoo just stared at our random friend.

“I’m gonna take one of the two of you for now.” Luhan said pulling out his phone.

“What!? Aren’t you way too much frantic?” Kyungsoo asked with a hint of annoyance in his voice.

“Come on, you just have to take a photo Kyung.” Luhan answered him with a bright smile on his face.

At times like this I asked myself if they were really friends or just enemies in disguise of ones.

“Now come closer you two… Kyungsoo smile!”

“I’m doing it!” He retorted.

“That’s not true… Come on smile” Chen added.

I just let out a little laugh from the way they were teasing him. To my luck it helped Kyung smile.

“Oh that’s just right.” Luhan said followed by the sound of the photo being taken.

“Why is it always so difficult to take a photo with you in it Kyung?” Luhan asked.

“With me?” Kyungsoo just pretended to be surprised.

“No, I’m talking about Sung SiKyung! Yah, it’s obvious I’m talking about you, Kyung!” Luhan answered back.

Seeing his friend fake disbelief Kyungsoo let out a laugh. “I don’t know.” He simply said.

That’s how went the time I saw them before moving away: Kyungsoo and Luhan bickering, me and Chen laughing at them and their unreasonable way to interact with each other.

 

While I was in the car going to my new home I thought back at that evening. In the end Luhan sent me the photo he took of me and Kyungsoo – aside from all the others he took that evening – and it ended up being my phone back ground. Watching it remembered me of the sensation of having him right beside me that close and also of the fun I had while I was with them.

In my mind that evening stayed as coffee steam: the time I spent with them was as warm as the steam but the bitter sensation of not going to see them in a while reminded me the coffee bitterness.

First of all I'm so sorry that it took me so long to update. *bows*

I just couldn't either decide on what to write or didn't have time to think about it... So so sorry.

Secondly I'm not going to promise anything - you'll have to cope with my randomness, I'm sorry. :D

Last but not least, even though it was this late and everything will you leave some feeback? I really appreciate reading your comments and thoughts since it can help me either developing the story either to correct my writing style ^^

That's all :)

Till next time

Who_Am_I