Best Friends and Phone Calls

Action Figures and Delivery Vans

 

She wasn't dreaming.
 
She was kind of just, there. In her mind, thinking about the past events. How she had kissed a random stranger. Her first kiss, actually. She was surprised, but with Kyungsoo, it felt, right. Like it was meant to be. Then it turned out that Kyungsoo was Kai's best friend, and he had happened to be there when he saw the two kissing. She was thinking of how Kyungsoo kissed her last night, it was filled with passion and showed how much Kyungsoo cared for her in such a short time. She was thinking how he had pulled her to his chest, cuddling and hearing his breathing and heart beat reverberate against her head. She was thinking of how he promised to be there with her in the morning.
 
She woke up to a queen-sized bed, with only her in it.
 
He had lied to her. He left her in the dead of night. Feeling forgotten, she sat up and thought about how trusting she was to him, how she opened up so quickly. 
 
Dae lied back down, shriveling up in her comforter into the fetal position. She was about to fall back asleep when an essence filled her nose. It smelled familiar, though she couldn't quite put a name to it.
 
She sits up in bed, but she has different clothes on now. It's Kyungsoo's v-neck. She looks down and realizes she doesn't have any bottoms on.
 
Which means he took her clothes off. 
 
And saw her nearly .
 
She wanted to fall to the ground.
 
Clattering sounds in the kitchen got her up on her feet. 
 
She walked down the hallway and rounded the corner to the right to see a shirtless figure handling the stove while brewing coffee.
 
So he didn't leave her.
 
She watches as he flips pancakes in the air, landing perfectly back in the pan cooking each side thoroughly. She watches as he brews coffee and takes out whip cream from the fridge.
 
Fascinated, she leans her head against the wall, a little thud making him turn around.
 
"You're awake." He puts the last pancake on the plate, walking over to Dae. He hugs her and kissing her forehead, then moving down to her cheek, and finally kissing her on her lips. Her cheeks flush as he looks at her smiling, knowing he made her blush.
 
"I made breakfast, come on." Kyungsoo grabs her hand and makes his way to the two-person coffee table. He pulls out her chair for her and she gladly sits down.
 
Kyungsoo passes her the whip cream and she grasps it in her hand, not without grazing her fingers over his.
 
"So you can cook." She looks up at him while putting on her pancakes. She takes the butter knife and cuts up the pancake in bit sizes. She punctures two pieces on her fork and puts it into .
 
Banana pancakes. Her favorite. Could he read her mind or something? 
 
"No, I can't read minds. But they're the only fruit you have besides strawberries, and those don't really go well in pancakes." He chuckles as he gets up back into the takes out two mugs from the dishwasher and pours the coffee he made into both of them.
 
Had she said that last thought aloud?
 
"Yes, you did." Kyungsoo looks back at her while juggling two coffee mugs, both filled with coffee in one hand, and cream and sugar in the other.
 
She mentally slaps herself while taking another bite of her pancakes, putting more whip cream on them. She should stop talking and thinking all together.
 
"Yeah, you really should, but it's cute." He finally sits and puts down everything on the table.
 
She knowingly speaks up now, "Shut up Kyungsoo, and how do you do that?"
 
"Do what?" Kyungsoo pours creamer and two spoonfuls of sugar into the cup.
 
"Carry all of that," She gestures to the mugs, sugar and coffee, "all at the same time?"
 
"I used to work at a cafe, and as a waiter-slash-cook you learn how to hold numerous things with two hands." He finally takes a big bite of his pancake.
 
Dae and Kyungsoo and talk about how he always wanted to be a cook, so he learned from his mom and took a job at the cafe to get more experience. They both finally finished eating and Kyungsoo put his arms up and stretched, content with the food he made.
 
Mind you, he's shirtless. As in no, shirt on. Dae looks down at her plate and plays with the extra whip cream on her plate.
 
Kyungsoo notices that she's nervous, so he quickly puts his hands down. He stands up and picks up the empty plates and dirty silverware.
 
"I'll get it, you cooked me breakfast, the least I can do is clean up." Dae gets up and takes the plates from Kyungsoo's hands, putting them in the sink, running the hot water.
 
Kyungsoo leans on the counter watching Dae as she washes the dishes. She picks up one of the plates, and scrubs it with the sponge, using her whole arm. This causes her to shake a little, and seeing her in his shirt and nothing else, turns him on a little, but he has to suppress those damned hormones for Dae might not even be ready for that. He walks around the counter and hugs her from behind, showering her with kisses on her neck. She smells so nice and refreshing to him. He keeps kissing her and she finally leans her head back on his shoulder.
 
"Kyungsoo, we have to stop." 
 
"What, why?" He lifts her head to look at her.
 
"Well first we're not even together, and if you don't stop, I don't know if I'll be able to either."
 
Kyungsoo twisted her around and held her shoulders with sincerity in his eyes, "Then can we be together?"
 
Dae looks at him with widened eyes as she processes his question.
 
Yes. Yes yes yes yes. She couldn't say it though.
 
"Hey, your eyes are almost as wide as mine."
 
She smiles and hugs him, listening to his heartbeat.
 
"Yes." She pulls away, holding his arms and smiles.
 
"Really? Oh my god!" He picks her up by her waist and spins her around a few times looking up at her. He slowly puts her down, his arms encircling her waist then to her arms. He leans in to kiss Dae as she closes the final gap between their bodies. They kiss for several seconds, taking no moment to gasp for air, before a cough interrupts them.
 
"Xiumin?" Kyungsoo calls.
 
"Lian?" Dae says surprised.
 
Everyone looks at each other, Lian looking at Dae then look at Xiumin who was looking at Kyungsoo, then Dae. Dae looks at Xiumin, who she had just met the day before.
 
"Wait, so we all, know each other? And why were you kissing Kyungsoo?" Lian takes a step forward to Dae.
 
"I uh- I it's a- you see, we are um.." Dae is at a loss for words as she searches for the words to say that-
 
"We're dating." Kyungsoo finishes her sentence and grabs her hand, sealing the deal.
 
"Since when? Just yesterday you guys were too shy to come in contact with each other and now you're all about, contact." Xiumin waves his finger at the two making a suggestive gesture.
 
"Just now, actually. 'bout two minutes before you guys walked in on us, thank you very much." Dae glances towards Lian giving her a look.
 
"Well, you know, after not making any sort of communication after several days, walking into your apartment seemed like a good idea." Lian crosses her arms.
 
"I'll tell you about it. Come."
 
Lian and Dae walked into her room to change into something else and gave Kyungsoo his shirt back. Kyungsoo and Xiumin were talking in the living room.
 
After settling all of the unanswered questions, Xiumin sat down with Kyungsoo to talk about Dae, who sat down with Lian, her best friend since middle school.
 
Lian and Xiumin met through Kyungsoo actually, thanks to him, they would have never been together. According to Lian, they've been together since sophomore year.
 
"So that's who you said you were dating? But you called him Minseok, not Xiumin." 
 
"Lay would call him that since he always hangs out with four Chinese kids." 
 
After clearing the relationships, Lian asked about how Dae came to date Kyungsoo. She told her how Kyungsoo and her ran into Kai.
 
"NO. Are you serious? After all these years, he finally comes out of hiding?" 
 
"I guess so. We saw him yesterday and tried to catch up with him, but he ran off. Literally." Dae looked down at floor, sad that she couldn't clear up the past with Kai yesterday.
 
"Hey, it's okay, he's old news, and besides, you have Kyungsoo, he got to you faster than that jerk ever would've tried. And Kyungsoo's a really good guy. So treat him well." Lian nudged Dae's arm.
 
"I will, I promise. I'm planning on keeping him forever." Dae smiles at Lian, reassuring her promise. Lian looks up and sees Xiumin and Kyungsoo head over to them.
 
"You better, 'cause I'm not gonna let you go." Kyungsoo sits down behind Dae hugging her from behind and nestling his chin on her shoulder.
 
A small silence casts over the two couples who were just sitting down together, happy that they all had found someone, until the phone rings, shaking them out of their thoughts. Lian goes to pick it up, not wanting to disrupt the other two's moment.
 
"I'll get it." She's half way and can see the caller ID on the dimly lit screen. She pauses for a second and continues to reach for the phone. Without hesitation or waiting for the caller on the other line to say hello, she swiftly responds.
 
"What do you want, Jongin?"